Comparing type "A" to "AA" networks

bkrop,

In the "AA", the black wire is the inductor. It is connected to the junction of the two 2 uFd caps (the wire that gies between them). To make it an "A", you simply disconnect the black wire and let it hang then move the wire to the other side of the left 2 uFd cap. That removes it from the circuit. All that is left is the right 2 uF cap.

The Zener diodes don't do anyhting until the tweeter sees too much power. Unhooking them makes no difference at all in normal listening. I left them connected for both plots.

Al K.

Thanks! I just thought that removing the zehner diode was the easiest tweek to do to the AA network. I think Kelly posted something (or someone else) today about this....

That is, it is only there to prevent overload with high power amps.

----------------

On 1/24/2004 6:30:46 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Guys,

Here's the plots comparing the AA with the A. The green plot is the "A" and the black plot is the

"AA".

Al, you are a funny man. I hadn't realized it was such a simple operation to change from AA to A. I could even handle that.

On the plots of the A and AA. What would the listener discern as the difference.

Any handholding appreciated. I'm not sure what I'm seeing on the plots. Thanks.

You dicide which is better.

Since I am a snob, and a bit biased, I don't like either one of them!

Al K.

----------------

Daddy,

There difference is a few db more extreme highs for the A over the AA and a drastic reduction in extreme low rejection for the A. This will give a slightly crisper sound and increased distortion as the volume is raise. A tweeter will make considerable distortion when it see 2000 Hz. The A reduces 2000 Hz by about 15 dB compared to about 34 dB for the AA.

The A also has more loss at 6000 Hz. I am not sure what this will sound like.

Al K.

ERROR: Above, I have changed 200 Hz to 2000 Hz!

----------------

On 1/25/2004 7:44:10 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Daddy,

There difference is a few db more extreme highs for the A over the AA and a drastic reduction in extreme low rejection for the A. This will give a slightly crisper sound and increased distortion as the volume is raise. A tweeter will only make distortion when it see 200 Hz. The A reduces 200 Hz by about 15 dB compared to about 34 dB for the AA.

The A also has more loss at 6000 Hz. I am not sure what this will sound like.

Al K.

----------------

Al,

Thanks for laying that out for me.