crack in the sub

onemike

I also put this question in a different forum on this site. I managed to damage the paper membrane, i.e the material that you see if you turn your sub up side down. I made a crack about two inches long and how will I fix this? Will it affect the sub´s performance? Do I have to buy a whole new element and if so, where?. To clarify, there is nothing wrong with the base cone but the crack is in the material closest to the floor. It´s a "downfiring" 15" Acoustic Research ARS 500. Any ideas? Mike

A cracked cone is serious damage and should be repaired.

I don't understand, "To clarify, there is nothing wrong with the base cone but the crack is in the material closest to the floor".

As a temporary measure, you can use Elmer's glue and thin paper like smoking paper to reinforce the crack from both sides, but the real solution is to have the driver reconed or replaced.

If I get the picture correct, the tear is in the paper cone. 2 inches is pretty big, so replacement will probably be the best answer (recone, replace, depending on the age \ condition of the driver). If it is a "tear" or "rip" and not a clean "cut" it will be easier to repair for the time being. If it is tore, and it has overlapping material, you may be able to just put on some super-glue or something similar. The glue must dry very hard yet not brittle, but it also has to be light so no to throw off the suspension. If it is a cut like from a knife and there is no overlapping material it will be more difficult. I like the rolling paper idea, you may want to try that. I myself have never tried it but it sounds like a great idea! Plus it is a downward firing sub so you won't be able to see the fix.

Reconing or replacing is still the best option if possible.

hope this helps

Hello!

Unfortunately while it is only a rip in the membrane I saw a hole about an inch in diameter in the cone when I lifted the element up. The people i´ve been talking to over here in Sweden say I have to replace the whole base element and as AR are pretty unusual here it has to be shipped from the U.S. On the plusside it seems that my insurance company will help with costs regarding this matter and I think this is the best thing to do, to replace the whole thing that is. Thank you for your help though. Regards! Mike

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 1/26/2004 1:33:22 AM John Albright wrote:

A cracked cone is serious damage and should be repaired.

As a temporary measure, you can use Elmer's glue and thin paper like smoking paper to reinforce the crack from both sides, but the real solution is to have the driver reconed or replaced.

----------------

I had a similar problem with a composite material cone woofer on a 3-way I used to use. It was about 1" or so tear & I used silicone rubber gel (from Radio Shaft) and spread it very thinly over the tear. It works great as the gel is still slihtly pliable when it's dry and I cranked 'em pretty high with no rattle from the cone. Dunno if it would work the same for paper cones.