Anti static spray on records?

trvale

I have noticed that some of my records are building up static. I assume this static electricity is affecting the sound, so can I just spray RatShack anti-static spray on them? Is there some other solution that is designed for LP's? I just don't want to spray it on and find out that it hurts the sound more than help it. Thanks.

Most people use an anti-static gun (zerostat I think) for the job. I would avoid using any spray on your vinyl that isnt specifically designed for the job - could really foul things up by getting onto your cartrdige as well.

Might be better to spray the platter of the TT itself rather than the vinyl, that or play with different mats - some reduce static better than others.

I finally won a zerostat on ebay last night for $52. I've been trying for months. You can get one for about that price almost anytime on ebay. The red guns are newer. The white are older. I assume they last a long time since almost as many white ones show up as red.

Make sure that your front-end equipment is properly grounded and be sure to touch a grounding mat or other piece of equipment before touching your solid-state receiver, CompUSA has anti-static spray for $10, discs might need washing after frequent use of such products though, simply wiping down the disc with a moist cloth might do as much good, also try increasing the humidity near the stereo 2.gif

trvale,

Winter months are the period of the year when static is the highest.

The most cost effetive solution is an anti-static carbon fiber brush by Audioquest, Hunt, Clearaudio or Decca used before playing the LP. You can order them from the Elusive Disc and Needle Doctor with Elusive Disc being cheaper. The anti-static guns are also a good solution with, I think, a longer period between use, but cost twice or three times as much depending on which brush you choose.

Klipsch out.

Thanks for all the replys. I am on a budget because I am going back to school in a few weeks and need to save money, so I can't afford too much right now. The zerostat isn't too expensive but it doesn't clean as well. I went to Elusive Disc and found the orbitrac 2 cleaning kit. Does this kit also reduce static? The price seems great. I do eventually want to get a vacuum cleaning system, its just not possible right now. Is the inexpensive nitty gritty 1.0 worth the money? It is only about $250 and I don't mind spinning the lp by hand. Thanks.

The nitty gritty won't help with static. If you're on a budget, maybe for now you should claen your lps in the kitchen sink (seriously) then use a $15 anti-static brush. Later on when you have the funds, a nitty gritty or VPI will be a great addition along with a zerostat AND anti-static brush.

Zerostat guns are worth $50? You're not kidding? I have one of these, I bought in 77 whem I bought my original stereo stuff. It hasn't been used in probably 20 years, is it stil good? I still have my old discwasher brush with the hole in the handle for the little bottle of fluid, is it worth anything? The little bottle is probably still in the handle, come to think of it.

I always thought a good anti-stat was one drop of liquid dishwashing detergent in a gallon of distilled water. Has this been debunked or something? I know it works.

Tom