Great music/album - but recording quality not important:

kenratboy

Does anyone have a favorite CD or LP (or whatever) that you really like, but either the quality of the recording is poor, or it just isn't important?

There is one CD I have (and I am sure most of you would not like it 9.gif ), it is Modern Mantra by DJ Spooky. I think it is almost 30 tracks, and is is rap (but NOT NOT NOT like the rap you hear on the radio, this is actuall words and talking about life, and somewhat real/smart stuff, and there is very little cussing), and there is a whole array of beats, loops, samples that change from somewhat hardcore to trance (as in, trippy, slow, relaxing) and everywhere in between. While the quality is good (very good) (most of the self-produced albums have lots of pride in them, and the quality is usually 'good' at the worst), there is so much more going, the music and lyrics are everything. It is a continuous album, as in, you listen to it from start to end, there are no unique tracks per say. This album would probably be as enjoyable on a old tape as it would on a SACD or DVD-A.

Do you have a CD that is just so good/unique/awesome, etc. that the quality is almost irrelivent?

----------------

........Do you have a CD that is just so good/unique/awesome, etc. that the quality is almost irrelivent?

----------------

No. If the recording sucks, I can not bear to listen. I have several CD's that I love the music but the recordings/mastering is so pathetic that I won't listen to them. Perhaps they sound adequate on Best Buy audio systems to the average consumer, but not over here. I strive to only buy good recordings through reviews or other means.

- Brad

Ken - Gary... Perhaps I should have have been less harsh in my statement about not wanting to listen to poor recordings. I will step back some. If the music is exceptional and the recording is moderate, then yes, I would listen and enjoy it. On the other hand I do have some recordings that are completetly grating that I can not bear to listen to even thought I enjoy the music, recent stuff too. Recordings so poor that you can not fathom want the record company was thinking. I regularly listen to recodings from the 60' or 70's that are less than perfect, but fully enjoyable.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... care to elaborate a little more on the Metallica statement? Maybe the early albums may have less quality, but how can you say that from the Black album on? Especially the Black album on DVD-A?

Referring back to the original topic, It bugs me to have to listen to older cd's after listening to a new or remastered one. Actually I don't know what bugs me more than that previously said or, the fact that the recording quality keeps getting better LOL.

You think the "Black Album" has good sound quality? Don't get me wrong, I love the Music, but the recording quality is not exactly top notch. BTW, I haven't listened to any of their newer albums since the black album, so I can't comment on them (I own them, just haven't listened to them). The DVD-A sounds Aiight, but compared with Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Linkin Park, Disturbed, and others, it's not all that impressive. It is a lot more "crankable" than the regular CD though3.gif .

That is the only downside to Klipsch, they make a mediocre recording sound bad. I have alot of 80's alternative cd's that just sound terrible but I like the music(the Replacements,Hoodoo Gurus,the Church to name a few). Believe it or not(Iknow I'm gonna take some heat for this!). In reterospect, I wish I still had my old Cerwin Vegas as an alternate set of mains specificly to play my not so well recorded cds. They weren't the best speaker I've owned, but they were forgiving in that regard. Unfortunately, the only way that will happen is if I get rid of my wife. One day maybe, but not today.