La Scala AL crossover question...

Rob's Klipsch

Hello,

I have been looking at my AL crossovers and have noticed that my woofer is wired out of phase on each one. I am not talking about where the cable that goes to the woofer connects, but on the crossover itself. Is this normal? I know that on ALK's designs he flips the squawker output to make up for an invert in the crossover itself. Is the old AL similar? Am I crazy?

Thanks,

Rob1.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 7:25:15 AM John Albright wrote:

The woofer is not inverted, the squawker and tweeter are, They should be due to phase shifts caused by their respective filters.

----------------

Hey john , I've got these crossovers in my 87's . Is there anything worth updating in your opinion ?

I'd Keep the T3A.

I had a pair of '87 La Scalas; my brother has them now. As soon as I could get Al to make a set of crossovers, I replaced them.

If you are not going to build a set of ALKs, I'd turn the Type ALs into Type AAs or this:

Type DHA2.jpg

The -3 dB point for the tweeter is 6000 Hz. It will work with any 8 ohm K-77-x or T-35x.

The bulb and resistor form a 1 dB L-pad and tweeter protector. The Heritage tweeters are really 105 dB/w/m, but Klipsch dealt with that using lossy tweeter circuits in some of their crossovers. As a result, the tweeter is hot to me since I'm used to the Type AA network. The bulb will limit long term power to the tweeter to about 2 watts or so, as best as I can measure and simulate with DC. It will not seriously effect transients. The K-77 has a power rating of 2 watts continuous/20 watts program and the K-77-M has a 5/50 watt rating. Unless you have drunks or teenagers running your system, the bulb should be plenty. It won't be as harsh as the diodes Klipsch once used and about as good as the polyswitch they use now.

• 3 months later...

My understanding is that the diodes don't anything unless a surge type transient "activates" them to protect the tweeter. They're also not in series with the tweeter -- do they really cause harshness? Has anyone tried leaving the zeners in place AFTER making a cap change?