? about bose

love_hertz

----------------

On 1/29/2004 9:12:44 PM love_hertz wrote:

Thanks for the link. Those specs suck, at the 80hz mark you miss out on alot. How can people say these sound good for the money-NO WAY. What does everyone else think?

----------------

What does everyone else think? Oh, man, you could open up a firestorm with an invitation like that on this forum.

I've put in more than my two cents on the Bose Acoustimass system on this forum so I'll only say that I have friends who have the system and the bass module is weak. You have to run all the satellites through the "module" and Bose purports that the cubes put out low frequencies. I question how that is possible. The drivers inside must only be two inches in diameter. And that whole refracting sound philosophy is silly when cast in a critical light: every satellite is supposed to act like a dipolar speaker and effectively diffuse sound around the listening area. My relatively basic understanding of acoustics tells me that that is the last thing you want to do w/ your front speakers.

I think that what it all comes down to is that Bose has no right charging those prices. If you cut the prices in half, I could/would say that someone should consider that system -- consider it, but don't actually buy it b/c even at that halved price other systems will still embarass Bose (witness: Klipsch Quintets or the smaller Energys and Paradigms).

Those are my thoughts.

----------------

On 1/29/2004 9:12:44 PM love_hertz wrote:

What does everyone else think?

----------------

Like "Jabez" said above - you just inviting some serious fireworks with that question when it comes to Bose!

Also like "Jabez", I've certainly put more than my $.02 on here about the Bose speakers.

I'll just say this - I very clearly remember seeing a clip from the "Lost in Space" movie on a Bose Lifestyle 30 system. It was the part where they hyperspaced through the Sun. On the Bose Lifestyle system, all you would get is a big "blob" of sound-effects. You could not make out any of the dialogue during that scene. I went and watched that exact same scene on my Klipsch system - you could easily make out all the dialogue and the sound-effects did not seem to be one big "blob" of sound. You could more easily make out the individual engine noises and such. Now granted, comparing a Klipsch RF-7 setup w/ a Denon AVR-3802 (did not have the B&K amp at the time) to a Bose Lifestyle 30 is a bit of a stretch, but still.

To be honost, I think this guy sums it up best about the whole issue of Bose. They do have thier place, but for the asking price, it certainly behooves you to shop around for other solutions, and if in the end, you still find the Bose to be the best solution for your particular needs, then there you go.

To be honest with you i have auditioned a couple pair of bose speakers in my home. None of the cube things just the big booshelfs the new ones. And their biggest towers. They need alot of power to get them loud, but they will stay clean if you have power. Their is no imaging at all. It is a complete diffused mono sound which really stunk when watching tv. Some music sounded ok like acoustic guitar. It really sounded good that mono guitar in the room. One good thing they had was the ability to hear lyrics i never heard before. It blew me away in that area. I still have not ever heard a speaker where i heard them hard to understand lyrics so clearly. But other than that they sucked. No highs and the bass is not very deep but what it does have it is good. Their is no hard pan from left to right. So i returned them. They really are not that bad i heard a heck of alot worse. Now i am talkin about their real speakers. I probally could of lived with their old towers with alot of power. Then again for the price they were i could of got klipsch towers that were way better. Which i did. I have nothing against bose. I just don't like satellite sub system no matter who makes them klipsch included.

being a former bose owner. i know that they are not complete junk, but they are very over priced for what you get. the best phrase i ever heard in a store from somebody about bose was said when he went to crank them. He said "lets see what you get for $700 dollars." he then proceded to crank them and they sounded like garbage, and said "not much" and walked out.

Well this is a touchy topic indeed, asking opinions regarding Bose systems is a somewhat volatile debate, but I will try to put forth my assessment as concisely as possible. I demo'd them (The cube system) at a Bose store. When these were turned up they sounded muffled and overdriven to the point I thought they would pop if any more power were put into them. They did not distort or reverberate unpleasantly they just muffled everything to an un-harmonized and uninspired over stressed midrange. There were a few moments that I thought they produced adequate sound but overall I though they were severely overpriced and under performing. One caveat is that I am no fan of satellite systems for anything other than you PC/MAC.