bose vs klipsch

jackson_ngo

Jackson,

I see by your avatar that your 18. So budget must be in your asking this question. Quintets are a nice speaker, but, you should truly be thinking into the Future.

Look at the Reference Series speakers that can be purchased for not alot more, you can get the RB 15's for under 300.00............

Though the Quintets are nice, you'll soon want to upgrade, and in doing so You Will Not be able to sell, or give away the quintets for what you would have paid for them.

They are on Ebay U-Bid all day long for about 75.00 bucks.

I am something of a heretic regarding Bose on this forum because I see them as sounding pretty damned good compared to most alternatives that the average person looking for a decent home theatre will be aware of.That they vastly outsell speakers of superior quality in their price range simply means that they are superb marketers and further that their product is demonstrably superior to much of what the average consumer has been exposed to.

That said you will get a far more satisfying sound from comparably priced Klipsch speakers in the long run.

Watch a film with good sonics for an half hour on comparably priced Bose and Klipsch systems and you will understand why Klipsch is the better choice.

BTW There is absolutely no contest when comparing Bose and Klipsch for two channel. Two channel Klipsch setups absolutely destroy Bose in that realm.

Interesting.... I was at sears the other day, they had a bose system setup. I will be very honest, it sounded good. It really had a good full warm sound. Very good midrange. It was a big bold sound. I really don't know how they do it. I know people like to bash Bose, but CMon, they do have a good sound for such tiny little speakers. Hell, tiny or not, they sounded good. Noooooooo. I'm not giving up my Klipsch, don't ask, don't speculate. 2.gif

If you read what the reviewer in the website mentioned below said about the Bose Acoustimass, you'll find how Bose goes through all the trouble of enhancing their display rooms for their advantage. The reviewer further cites Bose's marketing strategies which I must admit to be admireable considering how bad their products really are.

http://www.intellexual.net

I believe that we still do not have the technology that defies physics when it comes to sound reproduction. Those 2.5 inch drivers would be laughable compared to any Reference speaker.

My 2 cents:

Get the Quintets. I was in the exact same boat as you. I had my eyes set on the bose accusimass setup (my brother has it). After researching many, MANY HT forums, and doing lots of research, I came to the conclusion that the Quintets were a much better buy, and they sound damn good to boot!

If you *can* save up a little more, sure go ahead and do so. Better speakers can be had for more money. But if your limited in your budget, the Quintets aint bad, and I think they are certainly better that the bose.

For whatever reason, the Quintets are like the bastard children of Klipsch on this forum. Very few people will talk about them, and even less will answer questions about them.

Oh, about the reference satellites...oh, I have NO DOUBT they are superior to the little Quintets. But I doubt you can get them for *not much more money* than the Quintets. You can get a comple 5.1 set of Quintets for what a pair of the reference series costs. Couple that with the fact that there are still people waiting on the availability of the center channel (months of waiting)...i wouldn't do it, unless your willing to fork out the extra cash, and possibly wait for their availability. If you can save and afford it, yes, they would be the better speaker, but make no mistake: Your going to spend about double for them.

IMHO, the Quintets do a fine job at their intended role: A good sounding, unobtrusive, small speaker. Much better than the competition. But do keep in mind, these are small speakers. No matter how good they sound, they will never be a large speaker (such as a bookshelf/floorstander).

They are not an "audiophile" grade speaker for sure, but what they do, they do well, and I don't think you can find anything as good as they are for as little money as they command.

-Alan

quintets sound better than bose cubes, and you can pair them w/a real sub vs. the acoustimess slop-module.

otoh-the rsx-4/rsx-5/rcx4 reference satellites REALLY ROCK!!for less than a 'cube system'. they are the best satellite speakers i have heard.

avman.

I have a set of Quintets (in fact PM me if you want to buy them) that I just upgraded from. They are very impressive, period. They fill my living room w/ excellent sound during movies. The main reason I upgraded, was for music though. The satelites "only" go down to 100Hz. Since movies are recorded w/ the discrete .1 channel, they perform better in this realm (assuming that you have a sub). With music however, the bass was a little too "localized" for me. If I was just listening to music while doing other things, this was not a problem. However, when I sat on my couch and listened to music to unwind, it was more noticeable.

My advice to you would be to look at the RB-25s or 35s. The Quintets retail for $399 for the 5.0 set. (No sub.) The RB-25s are $399 per pair, and the 35s are $599. If your main interest is music, then I would start w/ a pair of 25s. Later on you can add two more RB-25s and a center and have a VERY nice HT that is also great for music.

BTW, I upgraded to two RB-25s in the front and an RC-25. My wife even appreciates the improvement in sound. Therefore, while I doubt you will disappointed at all in the Quintets, since you're looking primarily for music, I would start w/ the RB-25s.

John

My wife had size constraints, so we bought the quintets (hardwood floor, partially enclosed room), but bought a 12" sub instead of the common 10 inch. It sounds very nice with music, even with a cheap receiver. BTW I also have 5 la scalas downstairs, so I guess I am biased as well.

Benton

I don't understand why a $1500 system is being compared to a $500-$800 system. Either will sound good, with the the Klipsch probably sounding slightly better. For the price difference, there seems no reason to even mention the bose. There are plenty of small speaker systems available that will be cheaper and perform better than those bose. Just a few names are JBL/Infinity, Polk, Velodyne, Energy... Also if this is going to be mainly for 2 channel music I wouldn't go with small satelite speakers. If you could take the $1000-$1500 on a 2 channel system you are going to be much happier with the quality. And later on down the road you can add speakers for home theater. Those HTIB type speakers are going to do very well with DVD's but 2 channel music will have a much lacking midrange.