heresy veneering project

klipschaholik

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a few splits on my Blueberry case also. I am attributing them to not letting the veeneer dry after applying the glue and then shrinkage. The glue was dry but the veneer sheets were still taped to a board to prevent curling, removed from that board, then positioned and fastened with the heat.

Next time I am going to apply the glue, let it dry then untape it from the anticurling board and let them re-acclimate to the relative humidity of the room for a day or more. The heat set glue should still activate even after that time. Band It heat set edging can sit for years and still activate.

Tomorrow I'll email JoeWoodworker for advice. I'll post any reply.

Rick

Humidity could have had something to do with the splitting. All my stuff was outside in the carport and we have a lot of humidity in FL. I did let the glue dry thoroughly before applying the heat. I think the heat setting my have had something to do with the splits as well. You can see a small split in the last pic I posted, upper left side. Fortunately this wood has a lot of color variations to hide the imperfections. I'll try to find some of those furniture scratch repair sticks to fill in the cracks, but I'm not going to worry too much about it if they all don't come out. I figure it gives the cabinets a personal touch.

Gordon

I wouldn't use those waxy sticks for fear the oil finish would be affected. I use wood filler in a close color match so that it blends in with the grain. Do the filling in layers, lightly sanding the (controlled) excess off between coats.

Rick

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately no. I ran into some serious splitting problems with the veneer. I'm not sure why, maybe too much humidity. So I set them aside and took a break from the restoration projects, not to mention that with two teenagers and a wife all of whom want me to take care of their autos seems like I spend most of my free weekends wrenching on cars.

I have been getting the urge to ressurect the project as I really do miss the music these put out. I recently picked up a pair of decorator heresys and have some nice cherry veneer that I originally intended to use on the scalas before I found the rosewood and I'll probably warm up on that project first. Veneering heresys is a whole lot easier than la scalas, believe me. Thanks for asking, you've given me a little more motivation to get these done.

Gordon

OH, how did you post the pics? Do jpgs not work anymore?

Jpg's are fine, but I find that it works much better if you shrink 'em ahead of the post. 50% works real good and it's faster.

BS

50% of what? [:)]

Images that are about 500 pxiels wide load quickly and still have a fair amount of detail. Shoot, even try 600 to 700 pixels wide, but those 3200 pixel pics can get annoying.

Bruce

OH, how did you post the pics? Do jpgs not work anymore?

Jpg's are fine, but I find that it works much better if you shrink 'em ahead of the post. 50% works real good and it's faster.

BS

50% of what? [:)]

Images that are about 500 pxiels wide load quickly and still have a fair amount of detail. Shoot, even try 600 to 700 pixels wide, but those 3200 pixel pics can get annoying.

Bruce

Downloads from my Camera go in at 1280 x 960, so 50% of that, Bruce

For faster uploading of images, here's some specs to keep in mind.

The Forum resizes to 350 pixels, so if you make the long dimension 350, you save the resizing step.

72DPI is all the resolution a computer screen can display, so pointless to go beyond that.

I always run through photoshop and save at grade 8 JPG for some compression, doens't squeeze too much detail out, but you can see the file size dropping.

Michael