Pinging John Albright, VMPS Larger subs

Tom Mobley

John,

I ran across a pair of these today. They have some kind of nearly-white speaker grill cloth on them, I think he said Magnepan cloth?

Are these things worth $300 for the pair?

Let me know, email tmoble at cox daught net

Or anybody else that knows about them? I thought $150 per was a little on the cheap side?

Tom

EDIT: I went to the VMPS site, the units I saw were vertical about the same height as the LaScala right in front of them, but narrower. The guy was calling them the VMPS Super Sub, but after looking at the original owners packets that were with them it was apparent he had the terminology wrong.

EDIT again: I see the latest model on their website is $700 per assembled. Makes the $150 look pretty good.

1. Check the passive radiators in the slot loaded enclosure. Make sure the cone has not ripped off the spider assembly. Happens if they are under or over damped with the rope caulk.

2. You need an amp that can deliver a LOT of current to get the best sound out of those. Something along the lines of a big bridged Adcom.

3. You do know how *BIG* each one is, right?

Yes, I know they're passive.

I saw how big they are, they're in the Cornwall/LaScala size range.

I didn't dig around on them, they were trapped behind a pair of LS, not much room.

I really don't care about having them much, I'm not really into HT and my KHorns bass is plenty good enough for the music I listen to. Basically, I was wondering if the price was so low I should nab them just to selll them again. ebay, or make them available to somebody here at a reduced price.

Are they known to be worn, damaged or broken?

Incidentally, that was the first time I've been in a real audio store in at least 20 years, but I haven't missed anything, they haven't changed. Everything is garbage except the latest model of whatever they're currently pushing.

I could almost see the disdain oozing from the guy when I asked about the LS. I think actually could smell it.

EDIT: OMG, I now have No Life. Whatever, but I'm a long ways from where I was when I first hit this board in 4/2002. I had Heresy's on SS then, now have KHorn and DIY LS on tubes. Better now.

I'm here. They sound like the Larger Subwoofer. Mine mate well with my La Scalas when powered by an Acurus A250 (450 wpc into 4 ohms). To match any Klipsch they will meed a muscle amp like the A250.

BTW, at 16 Hz mine are 4 dB below my La Scalas at 1000 Hz, in my room.

I bought my pair for $350 each, used.