Please list your SACD collection

Klipsch RF7

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the topic at hand....Here is my short, but growing, list of what SACDs I currently own or on the way.

Classical SACDs

Beethoven: The Symphonies - Herbert von Karajan @ Berlin Philharmonic (1973 version)

Beethoven: Symphony #5 & 7 - Carlos Kleiber @ Weiner Philharmonic

Beethoven: Symphony #9 - Herbert von Karajan @ Berlin Philharmonic (1976 version)

Handel: Water Music - Pierre Boulez @ New York Philharmonic

Holst: The Planets - Mark Elder @ The Halle Orchestra

Mendelssohn: Symphony #4/ Midsummer Night's Dream/ Hebrides - George Szell @ Cleveland Orchestra

Mozart: Symphonies # 38 & 40 - Bruno Walter @ Columbia Symphony Orchestra

Orff: Carmina Burana - Donald Runnicles @ Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Saint-Saëns: Symphony #3 " Organ" - Edo de Waart @

Stravinsky: The Firebird - Robert Shaw @ Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Vaughan-Williams: Symphony #1 - Robert Spano @ Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Vaughan-Williams: Symphony #2 - Hickox @ London Symphony Orchestra

Vaughan-Williams: Symphony #5 - Hickox @ London Symphony Orchestra

Vivaldi: Isaac Stern Plays Vivaldi The Four Season Four Concerti

Other SACDs

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Norah Jones Come away with me

-Dave

I have a few comments:

1) I have the same perception of Celine Dion as Mobile but I realize many love her and that's fine with me. I have no musical skills or education and spent my youth participating in the once indie rock scene enjoying young male energy/frenzy bands like Husker Du. One of my evening meetings was cut short so many of my fellow workers could see Celine's Las Vegas show which was absolutely loved by those I hear commment...They just couldn't stop talking about how much they loved the show...and I never asked. I've just never been touched emotionally by her recordings.

2) I have a few SACDs:

* Beck - Sea Change. I like the multi-channel ear candy of this one. I'm not familiar with the sound any other way.

* John Coltrane - Love Supreme. I'm a jazz newbie having just recently shown an interest in Jazz. This was the first Jazz recording I've ever purchased and I don't think it was a good fit. I perceive this to be "spicey" on the taste meter. Perhaps more interesting for those who have grown tired of the more traditional jazz sounds before Coltrane. I realize that taste evolve and over time one can finally see (or hear) the light. Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" for example was mono-toned noise for awhile, but a few years later I acquired somewhat of an ear for that stuff, although I like "Strange Angels" better.

* I own MILES DAVIS - Kind a Blue; plus the usual Nora Jones, Diana Krall

* I like the YELLOW BRICK ROAD SACD in MC

* I like the Dylan and Stones SACDs...the cd versions of Dylan were in need of an update anyway.

* I would like to trade Yo-Yo Ma "Appalation Journey" for a classical SACD. This sucker was $22 and an impulse buy.

I have viewed the first 4 Ken Burns JAZZ videos, read two books on Jazz appreciation and downloaded many of the recommended artists I can thing of searching for. I'm currently listening to Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday which are vintage recordings so HiFi is only part of what floats my boat.

I like my CARMEN instrumental CD....heck I also like McClaren's - "Carmen" and the song from 5th element :0 all of which have nothing to do with SACD and just more ramblings.....

• 2 years later...

Read the thread. I personally have never heard a SACD. I fact, I had never heard of SACD untill I started visiting this forum. Couple questions..

Are SACD players still for sale at big box stores, or are they tougher to find?

Rcarlton this thread you bumped is a couple years old... are musicians and record companies still releasing new music on SACD's?

Do you need a special amp to enjoy SACD, like the Marantz quad's? Or will (2 ) stereo amps work?

C

Are SACD players still for sale at big box stores, or are they tougher to find?

Rcarlton this thread you bumped is a couple years old... are

musicians and record companies still releasing new music on SACD's?

Do you need a special amp to enjoy SACD, like the Marantz quad's? Or will (2 ) stereo amps work?

C

C,

SACD's are still sold in stores like Fry's here in Dallas. They sound better

to me than CD's. Often times they will be hybrids...both SACD and CD. Another

format available are DVD-A's. I did an A-B comparison to a standard CD

(The Doors, L.A. Woman) and could swear hearing every wire bristle of the brush

hit the cymbals. Unfreaking believable.

Many of the newer DVD players will play both formats. No special amps are

needed.

BTW I am from Chesaning, MI. Go Wings and Pistons!!!

MSU class of '79 and '82.

Anyone here try yourmusic.com? Go to the search and use Album Title and search for SACD. There are 4 pages to choose from. Albeit a limited collection, they are $5.99 a piece. You are charged tax but not shipping. I have purchased around 10 discs so far and continue to have several in my que.