La Scallas for Sale

joshnich

Saw a posting in the local paper "la Scalas in great condition 1200 bucks" I have nothing to do with this, only reporting what I see. If anyone is interested message me and Ill forward you the info, or look at the Contra Costa Times classifieds on line.

Josh

----------------

On 2/7/2004 12:07:39 AM joshnich wrote:

Saw a posting in the local paper "la Scalas in great condition 1200 bucks" I have nothing to do with this, only reporting what I see. If anyone is interested message me and Ill forward you the info, or look at the Contra Costa Times classifieds on line.

Josh
----------------

Please message me with the info. I am real interested. Thank you.

I looked at the LS Greg mentioned above, They are the "screwtop" model. The top is screwed down instead of having a removable bottom. in order to remove the woofer you pull the top off, then remove the mid horn, then there is a removeable panel on top of the bass bin. One issue with these is appearance, some might not like having the 14 top screws visible. I'm aware that at least one member here has a bid in on these, he would probably appreciate it if others here would avoid bidding the pair up unnecessarily.

I think djk made a post about cut an access hole, but he was talking about one in the top of the "doghouse", to add that closed in area for the bass extension. Once you remove the drivers from the canbinet, I think you use a router with the corrct bit, to go around the inside shape of the doghouse. Then make/cut the correct size for the bottom. Anyone knowing how to use a router would probably be able to help you with this.

Marvel

The ones I own, have been finished with full grills. To access the woofer the grill and trim would be ruined. Also the screw holes have been sealed with wood putty. Not that I need to access the woofers now, but if I ever had a problem, I would cut a hole in the bottom with the drivers in them.15.gif

Johnny,

I would use careful measuring with the speaker upside down, mark out the INSIDE dimensions of the woofer chamber on the bottom of the box. After that it's all downhill. use a jigsaw, sawzall, or router to cut out the piece. Might be tough with a router. you could get a piece of 3/4" plywood ready in advance, it needs to be an inch or so smaller than the bottom of the box all the way around. Drill this so the nice coated deck screws will slip in the holes, same pattern as the top. I countersunk the holes slightly so the screws would sink in below the surface. Make sure the screws are short enough so they don't poke through the bottom panel. I finished mine with the same finish as the rest of the box.

If your boxes are finished with some kind of clearcoat type stuff, you'll want to use an exacto knife or other very sharp knife to cut throught the finish at the joint between the sides and top before removing the top.

I used a very small bead of RTV around the opening when I screwed the bottom on. I also sealed all the seams of the doghouse with RTV while I had it apart.

Jeez, long winded.

Tom

----------------

On 2/7/2004 4:10:11 PM Johnny dB wrote:

Piranha, I own a pair. What would you like to know?

Tom, How hard would it be to cut an access door to the bottom of these?

By the way the pie slice logos arrived today. Thanks a bunch!
9.gif
----------------

I would like to know what components 74 LS's have in them? Metal horns and alnico drivers?

What year are yours? The screws in the top of the cabinet are hard if not impossible to see in your pics. Nice looking speakers BTW.

Where can I get some of those pie slice PKW logos?

----------------

On 2/7/2004 12:07:39 AM joshnich wrote:

Josh
----------------

I talked to this guy this AM. He sold them a few days ago for $1k. They were black anyways whcih I don't want unless they are a real steal.

----------------

On 2/7/2004 6:14:38 PM Johnny dB wrote:

Paul, Here's how they look now. This is my bedroom setup. I usually slide them into the corners when listening. There's a closet on the right, so this is how they look when not in use.
9.gif
----------------

You have LaScala's for bedroom speakers? Holy mackerel. And here everyone thinks I am crazy to have CW's in my bedroom.

----------------

On 2/7/2004 9:41:24 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

I looked at the LS Greg mentioned above, They are the "screwtop" model. The top is screwed down instead of having a removable bottom. in order to remove the woofer you pull the top off, then remove the mid horn, then there is a removeable panel on top of the bass bin. One issue with these is appearance, some might not like having the 14 top screws visible. I'm aware that at least one member here has a bid in on these, he would probably appreciate it if others here would avoid bidding the pair up unnecessarily.
----------------

Who would want La Scala like that? Those sound like some Texarkana backyard job to me.

----------------

On 2/8/2004 1:12:49 AM FLKlipscher wrote:

----------------

On 2/7/2004 9:41:24 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

----------------

Who would want La Scala like that? Those sound like some Texarkana backyard job to me.

----------------

I am glad to know you like them FL