Reciever Watts in relation to Speaker Watts

pcmccall

Planning a HT w/ a Denon AVR-5803 reciever. The Denon has 170 watts per channel and the Klipsch RF7's are rated at 250 watts. Does this miss match mean that I need a seperate amp? Two more questions, will a good seperate amp produce better sound? Also, what type of rear klipsch speaker would you recommend for the HT?

Planning HT

Denon 5803 Rec

Denon 5900 DVD

RF7 L/R

RC7 center

RS7 surrounds

RSW 15 sub

You don't need a seperate amp for matching the speakers and reciever. And I've never heard of speaker has watts in the spec? Their sensitivities make the difference on volume, but anyway even u have entry level of denon reciever will be able to push RF-7 as well. Just quality varies 9.gif .

As you get in similar money for the amp instead of reciever(eg. $1000 for any reciever like Denon H/K Pioneer Yamaha etc vs $1000 amp like parasound outlaw etc). The amp does give u better quality for pushing the speakers(usually more power too). That's also the reason why everyone goes to seperate for better sound.

The the back center/surround of your system, some will say RC-7 and some prefer RS-7. Even if you planned for 7.1 the back surround may be recommended for RF-7x2 9.gif . The opinions still vary for the back center here(doesn't mean the opinion splits because of who's knowledge better than one another, just personal preferences of preferring directional RC-7 or non directional RS-7 to be the back center).

Hope it helps 9.gif .

Your amp comments are greatly appreciated. Do you think that it is wise to spend 3k on a denon 5803 or pioneer elite 59txi reciever or go for a seperate pre/amp amp. I would think the pre/amp amp separates would cost a couple grand more for a Parasound, Rotel, or good B&K vintage.

Both model are their flagship product that you won't miss anything from getting them. As in function and difficulties for installation they are the best choice(well in those home reciever they stay in the top of the market). However we love machines to be complicated and more challenging on connections and such 9.gif .

I don't have much knowledge on pre/pro(others may give you great opinions about this, I don't really know anything about them) but I can say you have 3k that you can start with seperate.

For instance Parasound 1205A or Halo A52 or even B&K 200.5(is the model number like this? 5channel with 200watts, lack of memory for those model numbers lol) and a pre/pro that within 1k would be within the budget(B&K+pre/pro may be bit out of the budget when it adds an expensive pre/pro, only the amp costs you around $2500). For balanced situation........ I'd say get Halo A52 and a pre/pro that's around 1k(2k on amp 1k or a little more on pre/pro). Then add another stereo amp to the system for getting another 2 back surround(or reverse, a great stereo amp and push the front main speakers and let the Halo A52 take care rest of the 5 channel). For the pre/pro some of NAD and Outlaw 950 would fit it(Outlaw's one is $800, NAD depends on model, but usually $1000+, I believe others may give you better recommendations about the pre/pro). And don't forget prepare a bunch of money for the interconnect between amp and pre/pro.

Sorry got no knowledge about seperate's pre/pro, still third grade learner in the forum(many of others in the forum are equivalent to Ph.D for me 9.gif ).

as steelerfan said look into the 507, for 3000 you cant find seperates that exceed the b&k's performance. i had 4000 worth of rotel gear, and for various reasons returned all of it, when doing a-b's on the returned equipment against B&k and various other makes and set ups in the price range the b&k was hands down mre dynamic and detailed, but these were my ears, and i was auditioning on b&w 802's12.gif

"Planning a HT w/ a Denon AVR-5803 reciever. The Denon has 170 watts per channel and the Klipsch RF7's are rated at 250 watts. Does this miss match mean that I need a seperate amp?"

The watt rating on the speakers is important - if your amp has 200 watts and your speakers have 100 watts, you can blow out your speakers. I think the RF-7s have a rating of 250 watts constant with a peak of 400 watts. Not many amps will blow that.

"will a good seperate amp produce better sound?"

Generally speaking, yes. The more you throw into one box the smaller the components have to be and the fewer options the builders have. You're getting good speakers - go for separates if you can (you can get some pretty good stuff in the $3,000 - $3,500 range).

"Also, what type of rear klipsch speaker would you recommend for the HT?"

I have the RS-7's, which are made for surround. They give a disbursed feel, making the coverage seem greater. If you're going with a 5.1 set up, highly recommend the RS-7s. If you're going with a 6.1 or 7.1 set up, more localized sound may be ok - haven't heard that personally.

First lets take the RF7's,they are rated at 250 CONTINUOUS and 1000W PEAK(very short bursts),250W input is still an average,as the tweeter would be blown with much less input.

For what it is worth RF7 can generate extreme SPL with even a modest Harman Kardon rated at 50W/channel,and in a larger room.

RF7's will create around 100dB with only 1 wattof input at one meter distance from the speakers.

This said you in no way have to match amp MAX rated output with the speakers MAX continous power handling.Its a urban legend at best.

I use an ATI 2505 with my four RF7's,yes the amp can deliver 250W RMS into 8 Ohms and the RF7's stay around the 8 Ohms mark,but I used a celeste 4070 rated at 70W RMS per channel and I could reach levels beyond any mortal's wishes.But I like to have almost unlimited output at my command,its only me.

And its also false to say you should not use a very capable amp like a Bryston 14B ST,its rated(and WILL deliver)500W RMS into 8 Ohms,its not true you will damage the RF7's,you may if you drive your amp to its limits for prolonged periods of time and overheat the voice coils.But no sane or mentally sound human would do such a thing.Levels would be above 120dB and your hearing would suffer.

Any amp can drive RF7's with ease,as they present an easy load.And being very efficient they require only a few good watts,a true 50W RMS is all you need even for HT use in a larger room.

A few years back I did many audio experiments and used Dynaudio Contour 1.1 with my Celeste 4070(Contours are around 4 Ohms,so the Celeste delivers 140W RMS per channel)and before the amp started to clip the output from those 88dB 1W/1M speakers was too damn loud for anyone not deaf to stand.So RF7's being around 100db 1W/1M would make you run for cover.

For the money you are going to spend do not get a receiver. Go seperates, it will give you so much more.

As for wattage rating don't worry about that like Ear said. I like to get as much power as I can afford. I have 400 watt mono blocks feeding RF3II's and have not had any problem except when I clipped my amp and blow a tweeter. Most speakers can handle way more power they say they can has long as it is good clean power. You don't need to meet or exceed the wattage rating either. I would get a 200 watt amp for your set up.

I saw this post, and being someone who has a higher end "flagship" type reciever I have to say. GO WITH SEPERATES! the ONLY reason I didn't go with ROTEL is because what I wanted at the time wasn't as available as it is now (the 49tx had all the sound selections that I wanted and was 7.1, when very little else was--that was 2 1/2 years ago...) AND i got my receiver for 2200.00 NIB vs. the 3800.00 that the local shop wanted for it. had I the budget of 3k and up---ROTEL would have been my choice.

DON'T buy a receiver if you don't have to.--seperates are the way to go.

with a sensitivity of 102 dB the RF7 speakers could kick your *** with 30W per channel!!!2.gif

if i were you i ll buy a very good quality amp with about 60 true watt per channel instead a poor quality amp with 250 watt per channels, because i think you will never have to power your rf7 with 250W to obtain a loud and good sound.

with my little klipsch with only 94db of sensitivity i only use the half of the power that can deliver my amp,it could deliver 6x65w and when i turn it to the half its really really loud.

if you use a 250w per channel amp with your RF7 i hope you ve got strong hears...and a strong house and deaf neighbor!1.gif