Sunfire Receiver w/Klipsch, DVD ? also

Local399

Hi all,

I have a 5.1 system that consists of RF-3's,an RC3, RS-3's and a Velodyne 12" sub. I have a Mits 65" HDTV and the new Dish DVR921 satellite receiver for recording and high def channels. I also have a little older Sony DVD player. At the time, it was the best one they made. Its a few years old now and does not have progressive scan or the Faroudja chip.

Ok, 2 questions: Does progressive scan and the Faroudja chip make that much difference in picture quality? I have the DVd player going through Monster cable component cables and the picture seems very nice.

And number 2: I am thinking of buying the Sunfire Ultimate receiver to for my A/V receiver. What do people think of this receiver? Is 200 watts too much power for the Klipschs? Is this receiver overkill for my system? I will not use the video switching capabilities of the Sunfire as I prefer to plug the video directly into the TV and switch it at the TV. The Sat receiver uses a DVI-D cable and I plug that directly into my Mits. I will be using the Sunfire mostly for its tuner, amplification and of course its processing capabilities.

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

My parents use to run a non progressive scan Panasonic DVD with their HD Sony and now have a Sony DVD that is progressive scan. To both my eyes and theirs the difference is not night and day. Their TV is a 36" direct view, I don't know if that makes any difference.

As far as the Sunfire receiver is concerned, 200 watts is not too much for your speakers. Too little power can be a bigger problem than too much. However I've heard the Sunfire due to it's design has slightly higher distortion than alot of other amps. Normally the distortion is not audible and not a problem except possibly with Klipsch due to it's high sensitivity. Maybe someone on this forum runs this combination and will give you a better idea how it works. I've not heard it myself.

Hope you find this helpful. 1.gif

Check your TV's operating manual - it might be converting interlaced from your DVD player to progressive inside, in which case you probably won't notice as huge a difference putting a progressive DVD player in the mix as you would if the TV was not already converting the interlaced from the DVD player to progressive. If the TV is converting to progressive scan, then you're down to the differences in the deinterlacing engines inside the TV and the one in the DVD player.

As an owner of many Sunfire products,and a former owner of various carver amps(including the TFM75 and Lightstar)I would seriously consider the Ultimate receiver as one of the very finest receivers made.

It has a boat load of inputs and outputs,quality of the switching is very good.On a sound quality level its the best choice alongside the B&K receivers.

Plus you get a integrated amp worthy to be housed and sold as a separate amp,its simply the very best amplifier found in ANY receiver.

And will you ever use all the power Ultimate can provide? Probably never,but its good to know you have plenty of headroom.

If I had to buy a receiver I would get the Sunfire Ultimate,there are a few top of the line receivers with more features(Pioneer,Yamaha and Denon)but the overall sound quality of the Ultimate makes it the ultimate choice for those who put sound first and gizmos second.

I also would go for the Sunfire were I buying a new avr in its price range.When the first incarnation of this avr first came out I went to buy one,it sounded good but did have excess noise to my ears.The most recent Ultimate to my ears sounded cleaner,very sweet and powerful.

see if you can listen to the sunfire powering klipsch....

as well as some other high end receivers..... esp pioneer elite...

i know that ultimate electronics carries the klipsch reference series as well as sunfire and pioneer elite... (the local ultimate here in minneapolis has a dedicated room with a pioneer elite vsx-49txi with a full reference 7 system)....

bring your own recordings..... listen.... compare the features, remotes, and then listen some more.....

good luck in your quest!

1.gif