Opinions on my upgrade considerations

markmaple

I have the upgrade bug again. It's been 2 months since I upgraded something 1.gif . I am current running a Denon AVR-2803 (90 WPC x 7) for a 6.1 setup. My speakers are RF7 mains, RC7 front center, RS3II surrounds and a RC3II rear center. My sub is a SVS 20-39 PC+. My "room" is 17x19 with the back opening into the rest of the basement. I am interested in getting into a separate amp. I am considering the following options. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. For this discussion, let's set a maximum dollar amount of $2000. I would definetly like to be well below that amount though.

Opt 1: Add an Outlaw 7100 (7x100) amplifier and use the Denon AVR as a pre/pro. I like this option as it gets me into an amp without breaking the bank. My main concern is the power although it is probably plenty considering the speakers that are being used.

Opt 2: Add an Outlaw 755 (5x200) amplifier and use the Denon AVR as a pre/pro AND to power the rear center channel speaker. This gets me more power without spending too much. The 5 channel amp would cover all music listening. Outlaw makes a mono 200W amp that I could add on at some time.

Opt 3: Add an Outlaw 770 (7x200) amplifier and use the Denon AVR as a pre/pro.

Opt 4: Replace the Denon AVR2803 with the soon to be released Denon AVR3805 (7x120). In addition to more power and better electronics the new receiver features an auto room EQ that interests me. This would actually be the least expensive option because I could still get decent money for the used 2803.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 9:10:27 AM markmaple wrote:

I have the upgrade bug again. It's been 2 months since I upgraded something
1.gif
. I am current running a Denon AVR-2803 (90 WPC x 7) for a 6.1 setup. My speakers are RF7 mains, RC7 front center, RS3II surrounds and a RC3II rear center. My sub is a SVS 20-39 PC+. My "room" is 17x19 with the back opening into the rest of the basement. I am interested in getting into a separate amp. I am considering the following options. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. For this discussion, let's set a maximum dollar amount of $2000. I would definetly like to be well below that amount though.

Opt 1: Add an Outlaw 7100 (7x100) amplifier and use the Denon AVR as a pre/pro. I like this option as it gets me into an amp without breaking the bank. My main concern is the power although it is probably plenty considering the speakers that are being used.

Opt 2: Add an Outlaw 755 (5x200) amplifier and use the Denon AVR as a pre/pro AND to power the rear center channel speaker. This gets me more power without spending too much. The 5 channel amp would cover all music listening. Outlaw makes a mono 200W amp that I could add on at some time.

Opt 3: Add an Outlaw 770 (7x200) amplifier and use the Denon AVR as a pre/pro.

Opt 4: Replace the Denon AVR2803 with the soon to be released Denon AVR3805 (7x120). In addition to more power and better electronics the new receiver features an auto room EQ that interests me. This would actually be the least expensive option because I could still get decent money for the used 2803.

----------------

Instead of Option 1 or 3, allow me to suggest a nice step up - a Sherbourn 7/2100 (200WPC) or 7/1250A (120WPC) - search Gear****z.com - you'll find plenty of peeps who prefer the Sherbourns over the Outlaws, and they're pretty damned close to the same price category. Oh yeah - and the Sherbourns are individual monoblocks - the 2100's blocks each have their own transformer as well. I carry these suckers, PM me if you're interested.

Meanwhile, Option 4 sounds like a pretty good idea too - although you wouldn't really save that much money vs. buying an outboard amplifier.

I like Griffinator's idea about the Sherbourn amp, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Once you have a quality outboard amp you'll be well on the road to seperates. Use it with your receiver for now and start saving for a nice pre/pro. This way when your current pre/pro is no longer upgradable you can just buy the newest technology and not have to lay out the money for a new amp.1.gif

I'm currently using my 2803 as a pre-pro with a Marantz MM9000 150wx5 amp, with the 2803 powering the rear surounds, and it works just fine. Even in discreet DD EX or DTS ES, the rear surrounds are used so sparingly that you'll be losing nothing with less wattage than the rest of your speakers. Even a 50-watt amp running the rear surrounds would suffice. The Denons have great processing and user-friendliness. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to get a powerful 7-ch amp, but it will take up more space in your system. I noticed better overall dynamics and separation with the addition of an external amp, especially on DVD's with big explosions and gunshots. But then again, if you wait for the 3805, you'll be getting all the upgraded bells and whistles, with a quality amp section in a tidy package. You could always get the amp and still use it for the 3805, still taking advantage of the Denon's processing, without spending as much on a dedicated preamp.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 8:59:41 PM wheelman wrote:

Save your money and go on audiogon, and get a used b&k or adcom 5 channel amp. Anything you like. They sell amps their that are top shelf for a fraction of a fraction of the price you will pay off a retailer. Don't be bull****ted into paying top dollar.

----------------

Can't argue with that - except I hope you weren't inferring that I was trying to bull**** him into paying top dollar...

----------------

On 2/12/2004 9:02:17 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 2/12/2004 8:59:41 PM wheelman wrote:

Save your money and go on audiogon, and get a used b&k or adcom 5 channel amp. Anything you like. They sell amps their that are top shelf for a fraction of a fraction of the price you will pay off a retailer. Don't be bull****ted into paying top dollar.

----------------

Can't argue with that - except I hope you weren't inferring that I was trying to bull**** him into paying top dollar...

----------------

No just save your money if you can. You may need it for something important. No disrespect Intended although it almost came across like that. I may need to buy something from you LoL.

Using the denon as your processor and power to the rear channels gives you a lot of options for a separate 5 channel amp. Many good ones available at $2,000 (I just got the Rotel for less than that). You have a nice speaker set up - separates are the logical next step.

An outboard amplifier WILL make a big difference over the internal amplifiers in either the Denon 2803 or the upcoming 3805. I would definately go with an outboard amplifier. I did this with fantastic results with my Denon AVR-3300, then the AVR-4800, before going to a dedicated Pre/Pro.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 12:04:06 PM markmaple wrote:

I'm interested in people's opinion of the Outlaw 100x7 versus the Sherbourn 120x7.

----------------

I think you'll probably have a tough time finding comparisons on those two products, Mark, since the 7/1250 hasn't hit the street yet. There are plenty of head-to-head reviews out there and a lot of strong opinions about the 7/2100 vs. its Outlaw counterpart.