false corners for Khorns

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider just making up "backs" for the K-Horns out of plywood. I did so for my home builts which were otherwise based on the Speakerlab plans. They work well enough.

Let me preface that I have all the respect possible for PWK. However, the false corner seems to be a bit un-necessary and a hold over from an IP issue.

It is my suspicion that the patent on the K-Horn rested mostly on the feature that the back is not closed off and can be placed in a separate structural corner which seals it off. This feature appears, as I recall, in most of the "claims" of the patent. Some go to other aspects of the design.

(There is really no secret to the legal nature of the claims if you read closely. And in any event, the patent is long since lapsed. One implication is that much of the protection of the patent could have been avoided by a design which simply closed off the back. But the fox in Hope wasn't letting on to that.)

Therefore, to honor the novely of the design, PWK was forced to design a false corner which was not a structural part of the horn. However, that is not to say that sealing off the back with plywood, suitably braced will not give the same performance as the false corner.

You'll note that the Jubilee has a closed off back. With the exception of the ShortHorn / Rebel, no other Klipsch designed horn used an open back, to my knowledge.

Regards,

Gil

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Norway.

My friend had similar obstructions behind his '78 horns, you know, radiators and stuff, so we acted on the Dope from Hope.

We built the corners "shoulder high", just as high as the bass bins. This was not for cosmetic, but for practical reasons; he has the tops twisted maybe 10-15 degrees outwards, just bolted down on the outside bracket, so that they focus a few feet further back. You can't do this if you build your corners all the way up.

This is one worthwile tweak! Bass used to be all over the place, now it's tidy and tunefull. Just getting the gaskets to make wall contact seemed to gain an octave.

Stein

stein,

are the gaskets you are using attached to the side of the back board? or the the cabinet sides? can you explain? thanks, tony

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs

*Marantz 7T preamp

*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)

*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers

*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)

*MSB silver digital director (switching and jitter reduction)

*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck

*SAE MK VIII tuner

*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge

*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable

*Monster M550i for all interconnects

*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner

Sunnysal.

The gaskets are factory provided, and they look like fat draftexcluders. I am at a disadvantage as I am working away from home, and don't have access to either my own or my friends horns right now, but the way I remember, they fit around the back board. You will figure it out as it is self evident which structure will first make wall contact in a true (or false)corner.

Stein

This message has been edited by Steihy on 08-28-2001 at 12:15 AM

I have also enclosed back portion of my K-horns as I didn't have good corners to place them in. I covered the bass bin only so I can easily show off my ALK x-overs and the horns.

Everyone I have shown them to are duly impressed with the build quality and overall aesthetics of the ALK's!!cwm30.gif

------------------

Ed W