Klipschorn Vs Polk SRT

atl#62

I have been through several brands of speakers over the last 10 years.Vandersteen,Martin Logan,B&W,Polk. I recently sold a Polk SRT (Their TOP of the line $10000 system).I switched to Khorns with a REL Stentor Sub and Heresy center.I left a post at club Polk describing my pleasure and suprise with the superiority with heritage Klipsch system. It was not intended to be a slap at Polk, but someone there was thinking about purchasing a SRT system and asked for feedback from owners. You would have thought I killed someones firstborn. And the fact that I think a Klipsch product is superior ,not to mention the model I prefer is using 50 year old technology,blasphemy. Why does Klipsch not get the respect that it deserves?

Well, in here, Klipsch have ALL the respect of the world 2.gif Maybe the Polk's forum is a lot more biased than this one, here you can see anyone talking about this or that gear, and no one is really upset. We even have a subwoofers forum in which Klipsch's ones are in second or third place behind others!

I think that MUST tell something about the Klipsch users "mentality" so to speak. Maybe (just maybe) Klipsch users have experienced all and then, someday, they woke up from the dream of dome tweeters and low sensibility speakers.

You should pay a visit to neutral forums, like AVS or HTF, there, Klipsch is respected among some visitors, and hated by others, just like any other brand out there...

Too answer your question....

Some self-proclaimed so-called "audiophiles" are just so hung-up on big-time advertising, flashy reviews in audio-oriented magazines, floor salesmen's "woof ticket" selling techniques, and the attitude that "new technology HAS TO BE BETTER technology," that they just refuse to believe that a speaker design half a century old can possibly be equal in performance to, or better than, one that is of a recent design that will cost as much as the BMW 700 series sedan sitting in their garage. Pretty simple.

Klipsch--especially heritage--seems to be a love it or hate sound. Many fans of modern non-horn speakers seem to get very emotionally engaged when debating Klipsch.

Being a Hornhead is not for those who want to be part of the mainstream audiophile world..

Mention the $10k VMPS RMx speakers (previous CES Best of Show)--or even their new sub $4k/pr rm30 on the Polk forum and I bet you will get a very different response. You will probably hear more respect in their positioning of the two as some brands are "IN" with the heard and others our "OUT".

Recently in our Odds & Mods Forum, a gentleman who owns nothing but Definitive Technology loudspeakers for his HT posted pictures of his system, and from what I read, not one single slam was aimed at him for posting pics of his Klipsch-less system! No death threats or commie-pinko remarks here! I don't know why this newbie posts on our Klipsch Forums, but I guess he likes the company, and that we make him feel at home (there are other forum members out there who don't own Klipsch yet, but want to soon).

That's just the kind of people we Klipsch owners are...we've owned other brands before (JBL, Bose, and Magnepan for me), and we don't even slam other manufacturer's loudspeakers because we can also appreciate their design and sonics (well...we are pretty hard on Bose systems though...heh)! There are plenty of Klipsch owners here who also have JBL, Altec Lansing, Paradigm, Dynaudio, B&W, Magnepan, MartinLogan, etc. in their other systems...if I had kept my megawatt Carver/McIntosh systems, I'd still have my Maggies (they're a superb planar speaker) along with my Cornwalls and soon-to-be all vacuum tube 2-channel system.

Don't you just feel the love?13.gif

atl#62,

When I first became interested in "HiFi" back in the 50s, efficient, horn loaded speakers were considered among the best. I am convinced that the flood of cheap, mediocre ss amplifiers, that had very high levels of distortion at the low powers efficient speakers use, are the primary cause of loss of interest in horn-loaded designs. Another, interesting development has been the switch from oil or paper in oil capacitors to less expensive and smaller plastic caps. The plastic caps require conditioning, otherwise they foul-up crossover operation. Once conditioned, many plastic (esp polypropylene) caps do very well.

Stock horn loaded speakers, available today, driven by the type of amplification an uneducated buyer is likely to obtain really don't compete all that well against the boutique stuff. However, with decent amplification, the speakers begin to out-perform much of the high end stuff. Add some crossover work (or simply a very old crossover using oil caps) and the horn-loaded speaker leaves the high end stuff way behind.

Leo

Leo hit it right on the head.

Khorns are also affected by room proportions and acoustics more than most speakers. And since corner placement is mandatory, unless you build some large false corners, you can't really move them around to (partially) compensate for this.