Need some help! plz!

TheEliteOne

Ok,since I'm a noob at audio, I need some help/suggestions. I want a 2-channel system for my room. The room is 12x12. I want some bookshelf speakers. I mainly listen to heavy metal. I was considering the RB-25's..but there are so many older(and newer)models of bookshelf speakers that I can still get. Also, I need a 2 channel amp. So, can you please tell me what bookshelf speakers/amp would be the best for heavy metal?? I have a $500 budget. (please include links to the amp too.) Thanks in advance. (Also, for the speakers/amp, I need new. I can't buy used because my dad won't pay for used, so please include links, thanks) -TEO

P.S. - If i could get floorstanding speakers/amp on a $500 budget that would b great, just remember, i need new ones that would sound good w/ heavy metal.

The problem is that simply stated the $500.00 limit and the requirement for no used equipment effectively rules out nearly everything in the market.

If the budget could be expanded a little and/or the requirement that everything must be new could be relaxed then many good possibilities exist.

Here is a possible scenario to stay in the $500.00 range:

Buy a cheap HomeTheatre in a box for about $250.00

(Koss sells several half way decent packages in that range)

Use the receiver for playing CD's and as an amp.

Flog the speakers on Ebay ( all of them ) for about $60.00

That done you are now $190.00 out of pocket and have brand new electronics.( This is likely the area of used stuff that your dad is sweating).

Spend the remaining $300.00 on some decent used speakers. You could likely score a decent pair of Klipsch Quintets or various other rather nice bookshelf speakers on Ebay. Be sure however that whatever speakers you buy are relatively high in efficiency in order to ensure that the Koss can adequately drive them.

Talk with your Dad and remind him your current stereo is a used system. For $500 you could pick up a set of Walnut or Oak Heresys(used) and a good H/K 430, 630, or 730 receiver(used) and go out to the store to pick up the new Coldplay CD. Used stereo electronics are among the best bargains you will ever come across, IF you are careful and know what you are looking for!

Ignoring your intent for no used equipment, buy some good JBL studio monitors and couple them with an Adcom 535-II, or comparable clean amp, and you will have a system better than most on these or any forums. Your dad won't pay for used? Then you dad is under 35 years old and he has missed a lot of equipment that won't be matched for less than $2K today's money. What a pity.

I have a pair of JBL L110 to which I love to retreat when I can crank them up. Today's speakers, comparably priced, can't compare to what you could get on the used market. Your dad missed an era of great SS or even tube electronics.

Look at this site for similar reviews. None of these reviews are from me. When I get to it, I will buy all the replacement parts I can. How many speaker today can you buy with tunable mids and highs? None in this price range because they all just want your retail money. Everyone has their own tastes in sound. But JBL is, or at least WAS, a respected leader. I currently own the JBL L110 and L112 as well as vintage Altec and Klipsch models.

My dad is 55 years old and thinks that e-bay is a scam and doesn't trust paying some1 before seeing/getting the product. I can't persuade him. I only want klipsch too. I only have room for bookshelf speakers or some floorstanding (new ones since they r thin). I have a $600 budget. SO please stick to the topic and help me. thanks.