What do i need for a good 2-Channel system (sterio)

knight007

Knight, have your Dad come on the forum and ask some questions. He needs to hear from us about the HK 430 and the Heresys. You do not need a sub if you pick up this setup for a 12 x 12' room. The HK 430 contour and bass controls were more than sufficient to get me invited to move out of the dorm on more than ten occasions in college. This will be a setup you will have for the rest of your life if you are of sound mind!

I enjoyed Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, and the Who for years on this system, and I still have identical equipment. If you have your heart set on a sub, you can pick up a used Klipsch or SVS sub in the $200 to $400 range that will chest thump your friends into oblivion. Just wait until you move out of your folks' house, because the dog/cat will start to fear you if you play "Ironman" at volume.

Do yourself a favor, and talk to Wrench Peddler(Steve) and Ken about the receiver and Heresys today. For your Dad, let him know the Harman Kardon 430 receiver was $320 new in 1977, and the Heresys are $1200 new today. You can pick up $1520 worth of vetted working stereo equipment for about $500. If you talk to these guys, they will probably offer a one week buyback, if you pay the shipping. You can't lose with this setup!

Hi Knight, my $.02

What you need for a simple stereo are the following

1. CD player (A good One)

2. Integerated Amp

3. Speakers

4. Interconnects to connect your CDP to the Amp

5. Speaker wire to connect your Amp to the speakers

I am assuming that your budget is fixed..

If your room is small, go for the RB35, NAD 521BEE & NAD320BEE Integerated AMP + Monster cables and Monster entry level Interconnects..also get some cheap but good stands from Ebay for placing the pseakers and you are ready to Rock. when you have more budget you could either upgrade to Floorstanders or invers in a sub

Since Klipsch speakers have high sensitivity they do not need Lots of power and at50W per channelyou will NEver use more than 50% (And that might make you go deaf too!)

Additionally the 320BEE is a slightly Warm and smooth Amp that matcher the Klipsch Very well.

you can always keep upgrading with time..but it makes sense to get used to the sound so you can decide as to what you really want.

The NAD CDP/Amp combo should cost you around 400-450 New and much less old (Try ebay or Audiogon!)

Cheers!

Adding on to the above..If you go for used gear,

Speakers are the safest, then the AMP and preferably always buy the CDP new as it is very dificult to find out wear and tear in a CDP as they can go Kaput due to Mechanical wear and tear..especially the transport and the lens

A DVD player is usually not very recommended for CD's as they usually tend to sound a bit shrill..but for the time being you could go ahead with that too if it sounds right a that gives you more Playing around space with the budget !

Knight007,

The H/K 430 receiver I am talking about is one that entered H/K's line-up in 1976 (actually the fall of 1975)...it entered the lineup with a bigger brother, the 730, which put out 35 wpc. Over time, these two in particular have become recognized as about the best two-channel solid-state receivers H/K ever made. They are twin-powered, have exceptionally quiet amplifier sections, have a frequency response curve that is flat as a pancake, are reliable as can be, and the fact that so many of them are still around working daily shows how bullet-proof they are...the 430 was also the second largest selling receiver model in the world while it was being manufactured...the largest selling one at that time was its little brother the 330, but the 330 was not twin-powered.

There is absolutely NO DOUBT in MY mind that the reason H/K revived the 430 numerical designation for one of its new series of AVR receivers is due to the fame its old twin-powered receiver from the 1970's has garnered over the years! You can pick up an old 430 for anywhere from 50-100 bucks on ebay...shipping included in most instances. Two years ago they were regularly going for around 45 bucks or less with shipping included.

The good thing about 99% of the 430's sold on ebay that are listed in "excellent condition" is that they seldom need anything more than a good cleaning of their controls to make them perform like new...sometimes one or two of the lights are out, but they can be easily replaced....same for its fuses. They are a great solid state match for Heresy speakers! Another thing...if you listen to FM radio much, the tuner section will really surprise you...it normally tends to pick up stations you never knew existed on other receivers...and picks them up CLEARLY!

I have no experience with the H/K AVR receiver model your father gave you...but I would bet that the old 430 model will outperform it in stereo with Heresys!

If you pick up one of these old 430's, you need not worry about getting an original operator's manual or service manual for them, hey are available online for the price of your paper on your printer...here are the links:

H/K 430 Owner's manual:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%27s%20Manual/430om.pdf

H/K 430 Service manual:

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service%20Manual/hk430%20sm.pdf