Anyone Have Cornwalls Older than 1962?

Frzninvt

As the topic title states, trying to see what differences if any there are from the 1959 initial version to the '62's. I was told that early versions '59-'61 were rear ported and they did sound as good as later versions. Mine have the really old rectangular clear plastic engraved (not cursive) logos mounted at the bottom center is this the way they came? The horns in mine are also vertically placed were all the early versions like this or were these ordered special.

Guest Anonymous

Frz, email Trey, he will get you all the info you want and desire, Hw is a great guy and has the answers, or will check the archives for you, as he did for me2.gif3.gif

Frzninvt Thanks for the pictures!

You mentioned the crossovers were labeled "C22" is that all stamped on the metal strip? Would you share the serial numbers of your Cornwalls? I'm tring to broaden my knowledge of older Cornwalls.

I've owned 4 pairs of Cornwalls over the years from a 1990 model to a 1975 model(CDBR). I currently have 2 pairs of 1980's, 1 CWO and 1 CBR.

Thanks

Mike

----------------

On 2/17/2004 3:17:17 PM Frzninvt wrote:

As the topic title states, trying to see what differences if any there are from the 1959 initial version to the '62's. I was told that early versions '59-'61 were rear ported and they did sound as good as later versions. Mine have the really old rectangular clear plastic engraved (not cursive) logos mounted at the bottom center is this the way they came? The horns in mine are also vertically placed were all the early versions like this or were these ordered special.

----------------

I'd suggest considering the woofer model as well as the other factors. As I recall, the woofer change after E-V discontinued the 15WK made quite a difference in the sound, and could have caused Klipsch to make cabinet and crossover changes.

I have a solo 60 Cornwall with the rear port.

To me it sounds better than the later vert cornwalls I have a 62,67.It does have the clear non script klipsch logo mounted on the botom.

load with the ev 15wk.

It also has a diffrent smaller mid horn than later.

horns are mounted vertical.

I also have a PKW signed 62 Cornwall which looks about the same as later vert Cornwalls.

post-7786-13819252335502_thumb.jpg

khorn58,

WOW! Great pictures!!

Many questions about the interior and back pictures.

The board that runs across the center. Is it a brace for the motorboard? In other words is the motorboard one piece and this 3/4"? x 4"? board is glued, screwed or nailed to it. Is the board attached to the sides also?

The back appears to be made of 3 or more pieces. How thick are the pieces? They look like they might be 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood seperate by ?? How is the back constructed?

Does the label have a serial number?

That's enough for now.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike and Chris,

with these photos, it is obvious the shorthorn mutated directly into the Cornwall. The rear port is actually the non-sealed center gap that runs the vertical(in this photo) length of the enclosure. If you look close, you will note three shadow supports that are internal to the black fine mesh screen. It is not the conventional round or rectangular ports that we are used to in newer speakers. If the chamber frame splits the enclosure in half, then the only "porting" that matters is the woofer half, obviously. On the shorthorn, there is no seperation - it is all one enclosure - so Shorty can get somewhat chesty or boomy. Make me wonder if these parts are interchangable; dropping them in a Cornwall would probably make a very robust speaker!