Stereophile, Klipsch, and JGH

KeesGuy

C'mon, Paul...set him straight! It is your mission (should you choose to accept it) to bring to his attention all the drama that horns present. Throw the entire high-falootent audiophile community on its ear, that ancient horn technology such as the venerable Klipschorn can still shine with all types of amplification and all types of music!

Ray, fantastic letter!16.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the wrong amps? Hell, we all like what we like. Let's all just try to get over any doctrinal arguments over circuit topology or any other technical matters and try to focus on the fact that all of this is supposed to be about getting more of what we like out of music. Some people like Slayer or Napalm Death and some like Miles Davis or Michael Hedges. Why not try to live and let live. If I like the Beatles through direct radiators and solid state and someone else likes them through horns and SET, who cares? Blackbird is still a lovely song, right?

Dudley can like whatever he likes; it makes no difference to me. If anybody chooses to think he must know what he's doing because he writes for Stereophile and has heard lots of equipment--fine, believe what you want to believe.

But if you take this line of argument of live and let live to its logical conclusion, nobody should ever comment on any piece of audio equipment because someone, somewhere, likes it and we wouldn't want to offend anyone.

The Dudley drama contradiction is as obvious and silly as if you had someone with a 90 horsepower car complaining that it lacks excitement when he takes it out on the road.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 11:02:21 PM HEPA TITUS wrote:

Imagine how much horrible advice he has given people.

----------------

Good point, but you can't save everyone. Not everyone even wants to be saved. But luckily, in the larger scheme of things, 2A3 guys are never going to take over the world of audio.

----------------

On 2/20/2004 10:05:59 AM DeanG wrote:

Well, there's light on your feet transparent 'drama', and then there's tight and powerful DRAMA. With reviewers, you have to read between the line lines.
:)

----------------

It's the same reviewer, and the same word, "drama." It's not the reader's job to make sense out of the reviewer's contradictions. It's the reviewer's job to express himself well enough that the reader understands.

He says his sytem lacks drama. He says elsewhere that the SET and horns combo is tops in drama. If he's talking about two kinds of drama, he doesn't indicate it. If he's interested, he may have a future as a politician.

I found this excerpt germane.

The response from the audience was mixed. Some hobbyists took the plunge and stayed there, happily. Others enjoyed reading about the trip but decided to stay home for the time being. (When I was editor of the decidedly SET-friendly Listener magazine, the letters I treasured most were those from intelligent readers who didn't happen to care for tubes or horns, yet who felt their enjoyment and understanding of the hobby was enhanced by reading about them.)

And, of course, there were a few sad cases who weren't able to just shrug and say "That's cool" when confronted with the news that other audiophiles do things differentlyand quite possibly have more fun in the process. That's just human nature, I suppose, although it often seems that audiophiles are second only to aquarium-plant enthusiasts in their tendency to malign other hobbyistsbut whether that's merely for amusement or to establish themselves as the hobby's alpha males, I'm not certain. (Then again, I do remember reading in National Geographic that female audiophiles will allow themselves to be mounted only by potbellied males who can scream the loudest insults at loudspeaker technologies, digital encoding schemes, or magazines of which they disapprove.)

And this, quite funny!

Before setting the subject of personality disorders to one side, I should not let SET enthusiasts themselves completely off the hook. Remember what I said earlier about a potential for camaraderie? Well, forget it: These people all hate each other now. First, the 300B tube tribe and 2A3 tube tribe started looking down their noses at each other. Then a subclan of the 2A3 tribe discovered the 45 tube, a discovery that apparently rendered the 2A3 unacceptable overnightand for its part, of course, the 300B is now way too mainstream and thus uncool. Cary Audio is disliked by other amp makers for being successful, and Avantgarde, which also does well in the marketplace, seems to be in the barrel among loudspeaker "students of the art." By the time I attended my first SET-oriented hi-fi show, it seemed that much of the playing field had been taken over by trash-culture devotees (you know the type: anemic-looking East Village males who pretend they think the first Josie and the *****cats album was the greatest record ever made) who see their goal in life as the disavowal of everything that's enjoyed by at least one other person. So much for wiener roasts and "Kumbaya."