Amp to run RF-7's for theater

GRCRYSTYK

Ok guys,...

I don't know if I'm not using the search system correctly or what, but I'm not coming up with much in the way of info on what amps mate well with RF-7's and RCW-5 or 3 surounds. I have been mentally putting together this system, and have been looking at a separate 7 channel amp to do the dirty work. Being how some speakers and some amps like or dislike each other, I thought I would shoot out a post looking for input, as well as experiences you all have had with a particular amp, or amps. I see there are about as many folks using a receiver to power their systems as well as separates. I realise the Klipsch speakers are very efficient, so does this have a lot to do with that? I'm looking for bang for the buck as well, the tight wad that I am,....Lets say under $1500.00

Thanks a bunch guys,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

So what are you looking for? you've mentioned looking for a seperate amp to power them... Are you looking for just an amp or pramp orthe whole ball of wax so to speak. If so, with that price in mind, your better off getting a reciever. Denon, Yamaha, Sony and the Pioneer Elites are real popular around hear. Onkyo and Harmon Kardon have a following also. really any of these are gonna be good sounding with Klipsch. Find one with all the features you want and a remote that makes sense to you.

Sickpuppy,..

Thanks for the input. I guess I should have mentioned I have a Denon 3801 now that for the mean time I would use as a pre amp. It's been a great unit, just seems there is much to be gained by using dedicated amps. I am of the school that a power supply in a receiver is asked to perform a lot of things, not all to the good of the output.

Unfortunately, I'm in the group of folks that have eyes bigger than their wallet, so I am in a real tight spot.

Thanks again,...>>>--->

I've found that an outboard B&K 2 channel amp (2140) mates really well with my RF7s when ran off my Denon 3801s' pre-outs.

IMHO. I felt that separate amps for each channel was really over-kill.

It's just not nessessary...and here's why.

The front mains will always carry the brunt of any audio material that passes through your system.

With that in mind, relieving the Denon of that burden allows the remaining center and rear channels an opportunity to draw as much current as they could ever possibly want without a heighten chance for clipping due to deep impeadance drops that are seen with the RF7s.

Whew....what a mouthful. :)

Again IMHO, this could allow a better transient response due to a more consistently stable power supply.

It just makes sense, to me.

Plus, I've found the RF7s to respond more accurately, overall, with the inherantly better damping that a dedicated outboard amp has to offer.

This goes without saying..

Just a few thoughts for you.

Hope that helps, some.

John

----------------

On 2/17/2004 9:16:39 PM Audioreality wrote:

IMHO. I felt that separate amps for each channel was really over-kill.

It's just not nessessary...

----------------

That's a simple matter of opinion. The biggest complaint I've ever heard from people setting up surround systems is that "I can't hear anything in the back speakers".

Knowing that, I deliberately weight the output to the back 2,3, or 4 speakers and away from the center (usually 3dB, sometimes up to 6dB depending on placement demands) when I install a customer's system. Having mad headroom for that kind of setup is definitely not overkill.

There's no such thing as too much headroom. I'm a firm believer in that concept. Of course, I and a number of my friends have owned (and some still own) classic Carver megawatt amps for just that reason.

But hey, when it all comes down to it...

I agree with griff......... that's why there's so many monoblock amp. Even some poeple do with each amp per channel with the monoblock(or even seperate amp for bi-amping? 11.gif ). It's always "not enough" but never "overkill/too much" 3.gif

Look at parasound, they even have the monster 400watts monoblock amp 9.gif

For $1500 - may want to check out Outlaw. They only sell on-line, but I've read a lot of good reviews and they are in that price range.

I just got the Rotel RMB-1095 for $1500. It list at $2000, but can be had for less. It's only a 5 channel amp though - but you could use your receiver to power the other 2 channels.

Would recommend a receiver or integrated amp if you have the RF-7's. I had the Yamaha DSP A-1 until a couple months ago. It's a good unit, but the separates made a really big difference. You have nice speakers - don't shor them!

Thanks all so far for the input. Much appreciated,....Much like other componats, there are way too many choices, and flavors to undestand in order to make decisions easy,....

Darren,...Knowing of the Outlaw equipment, and others as well,...What made you go with the Rotel?

Thanks again,...>>>--->

----------------

On 2/18/2004 7:47:06 AM GRCRYSTYK wrote:

Thanks all so far for the input. Much appreciated,....Much like other componats, there are way too many choices, and flavors to undestand in order to make decisions easy,....

You are not alone, it's the same problem I'm having. If you find something you are happy with, please share it with the rest of us.

"Darren,...Knowing of the Outlaw equipment, and others as well,...What made you go with the Rotel?"

A few things. First, the Klipsch speakers (especially the 7's) are really sensitive. While a lot of measures on the amp are important, the signal to noice ratio seemed very important (you don't need a ton of power, but you need clean power). The Rotel's rating there is very high (116db if I remember correctly). Second, a high end dealer from my home town (who I grew up trusting) recommended Rotel and B&K. Said others were good, but these two were outstanding and fairly priced. Finally, I got a deal I couldn't pass up. An authorized dealer going out of business. Got the Amp for about $1400 and the 1066 processor for $800.

I really like them so far. I would have bought them even without the great deal. They seem to match really well with the 7's.

Good luck!