B*st B*y...

Griffinator

Oh come on. Lets not be so hard on BB.Tell me where else you can sign up for Netflix and buy an extended warranty that costs more than the item you bought that they want you to buy the warranty FOR from the same sales person while listening to 5 car stereos a mere football field away from the cash register all at the same time? If you know of one....please WARN me.11.gif

----------------

On 2/21/2004 12:13:11 AM kenratboy wrote:

If you really care about Klipsch as a company, and want the hi-end stuff to rule, buy at your local dealer. Otherwise, Klipsch's future will be at Best Buy.

----------------

You got it.

People complain about Wal-Mart running mom&pop shops out of business. Who's fault is that? ours.

I'm not so much ragging on BB as I am on Klipsch and their future plans. When a company enters into agreement with either BB or CC, quality and innovation go down hill Companies like jbl and infinity were once a better product before going the way of mass market. Take Polk for example. Back in the the early to mid 80's, they made a very good product. Enter their relationship with CC. Gone are the products that put them on the map. No more 5 ft. cabinets with 9 drivers in them. Now, they make a generic tower with a built in sub as their flagship model to blend in with everything else in the showroom. My point is, if Klipsch doesn't seem to be too concerned about the availability of their reference line, where do they plan on selling the new premiere signature line that they unveiled at this years CES show? My guess is that they just might sell it at the same stores that sell the Jubilee that I've seen pictured. Hopefully not.

When I go in to Tweeter now, and see the Klipsch-less display, I am quite happy that I already have my RF setup, else I'd be quite pi**ed.

I do not go in to Best Buy often, because I dislike it, top to bottom, but when I have been in there, I've noticed much the same thing you all have: It sucks to even try to get a feel for what something in there sounds like, and the HTIB stuff is complete and utter crap.

Unfortunately, the crap sells. Just like the famous $29 DVD players in Wal-Mart at Christmas. One of my acquaintances at work can not comprehend why I would have paid even the internet price for my main speakers (RF7's), or why I'd even contemplate paying $999 for a DVD2900, when I could "get a whole setup" for $300.

I agree with the mass marketing mistake. It also happened with the mostly defective chinese built promedia speakers.

Mark my words ...the heritage line won't be around much longer. The Khorn is now by order only. The rest of the line will soon follow and then dissappear altogether.

The focus is no longer on producing quality speakers ...it is focused on making as much money as possible. 8.gif

PWK is rolling in his grave. 11.gif

Depressing, really.

I talked with (name withheld) on the phone the other day about my company's interest in carrying the Heritage line (and nothing BUT the Heritage line)

His basic attitude was "you'll never sell any of them - get a Reference dealership and you'll be authorized to sell Heritage"

I was pretty stunned, to say the least. Here we have a state where there are no officially "authorized" Heritage dealers, and he's trying to talk me out of becoming one.

????6.gif????

----------------

On 2/20/2004 11:18:19 PM Griffinator wrote:

Wheel - there's nothing wrong with the Synergy series. It's what the future holds for the Synergy series, and Klipsch as a company, that we're concerned about.

----------------

Griff- sometimes i get a little defensive about my synergys. I thought they were great speakers then i hear how they dont get much respect, and i do not understand this and it gives me mixed feelings about upgrading. But what good is a pair of speakers if you can't afford a good amp? My problem no one elses. And by the way jbl's are good speakers just had bad luck with them. Like i said didn't have enough money for a descent amp and blew all the tweeters out. I know what ever speakers i end up with next i will not be putting down my sf-2s. No matter how big of an upgrade or brand. I heard good results so i will be honest about them.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 1:08:49 AM wheelman wrote:

Griff- sometimes i get a little defensive about my synergys. I thought they were great speakers then i hear how they dont get much respect, and i do not understand this and it gives me mixed feelings about upgrading. But what good is a pair of speakers if you can't afford a good amp? My problem no one elses. And by the way jbl's are good speakers just had bad luck with them. Like i said didn't have enough money for a descent amp and blew all the tweeters out. I know what ever speakers i end up with next i will not be putting down my sf-2s. No matter how big of an upgrade or brand. I heard good results so i will be honest about them.

----------------

I'm totally empathetic. The only guy on this forum that had anything nice to say about my JBL S38's was Steve Konopa.

That said, I have to remind myself of something very important - that I do the same thing to people who own Bose, KLH, and Cerwin Vega speakers all the time.

What's important to remember is why.

Why do we do it? Because we've heard better - so we know better. The SF-2s sound way better than anything else at a comparable price point (that I've heard, anyway) just like my S38's sound way better than any other bookshelf (including the SB series) that I've ever heard.

However, we both know that the people that look down on our speakers have also listened to both our speakers and the ones they own, and the ones they own (things like K-Horns, LaScalas, RF's, etc) would put ours to shame.

It's all a progression - and it's a tough one, because once you get upgraditis, you never get rid of it, and you never go back, unless you totally lose your hearing.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 1:10:41 AM B******* wrote:

Pioneer does the same thing..they have there "Bestbuy" "Walmart" series..but they also have the ELITE series.....

----------------

Yeah, but even Pioneer Elite still hasn't gotten back up to the quality level of their legendary SS amps of the late 70's. They made a big mistake trying to go mass-market back in the late 80's, and while they're a bigger company and making lots of money, they'll never command the respect for build quality they used to.

Do they care? I doubt it. I do, which is why I don't buy their products.

I'm just about at a point now where I just won't buy mass-market sh1t anymore. Give me the small companies that make a very short list of products and make them REALLY WELL. I'll pay the premiums, it's OK.

That's what made me fall in love with Sherbourn after I researched the company. Are they made in Taiwan? Yeah. Only because one of the founding partners speaks Chinese and spends his time overseeing the manufacturing process and making sure that the build quality and parts quality is as good as it can possibly be. They're a small company who does one thing really, really well - build high-power amplifiers. I'm actively looking for other companies to add to our retailer roster that are structured the same way - a short list of excellent products, rather than a huge product catalog where maybe 10-20% of the offerings are worth the investment.

I mostly lurk around this board just for the fun of it. About every month or so a similar thread to this one pops up worrying about the future of Klipsch. I laugh every time. It's like you all think you are part of an exclusive club. Oh no, Best Buy is selling Klipsch and my redneck next door neighbor might now be able to join my little club! Everyone has seen the new lines Klipsch is working on, right? I don't think they are going to stop making high end speakers anytime soon. And if they do, who are you to question the move? You think because you purchased a few, or even a hundred, of their speakers that you should have a vote on the board of directors? If you don't like it, don't buy their products. I think the problem you all have is that you think putting "All Klipsch" at the bottom on your signature will be cheapened if somebody you don't feel is Klipschworthy can start buying them too. Personally, I'm glad they make a less expensive line of speakers so I can afford them.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 9:03:25 AM Sublime40 wrote:

I mostly lurk around this board just for the fun of it. About every month or so a similar thread to this one pops up worrying about the future of Klipsch. I laugh every time. It's like you all think you are part of an exclusive club. Oh no, Best Buy is selling Klipsch and my redneck next door neighbor might now be able to join my little club! Everyone has seen the new lines Klipsch is working on, right? I don't think they are going to stop making high end speakers anytime soon. And if they do, who are you to question the move? You think because you purchased a few, or even a hundred, of their speakers that you should have a vote on the board of directors? If you don't like it, don't buy their products. I think the problem you all have is that you think putting "All Klipsch" at the bottom on your signature will be cheapened if somebody you don't feel is Klipschworthy can start buying them too. Personally, I'm glad they make a less expensive line of speakers so I can afford them.

----------------

I really don't understand why you feel the need to be so caustic. This isn't about prestige, dude. It's about quality.

This is precisely the problem with American consumerism. We've been conditioned to believe, and therefore demand, that products get cheaper, faster, and better (thanks in no small part to the computer industry) on an exponential basis.

Problem is, it still costs a hefty amount of money to make a quality amplifier, a quality speaker, or a quality television.

Sure, you can use cheap parts, cheap labor, and cheap manufacturing processes - but you don't end up with a better product - only a cheaper one - and in all likelihood an inferior one.

This same debate raged on for weeks over at George Massenburg's forum. He was kicking around the idea of releasing a "mass market" line of his world-renowned parametric EQ's (G.M. invented the parametric, in case you were wondering) that would be produced in China.

The majority of the forum assured him that, despite the fact that it would increase his sales, it would also tarnish his reputation as one of the finest professional-grade equalizer manufacturers on the market.

The biggest issue for any company that wishes to pursue this type of market expansion via downgrade?

What price are you willing to pay for market share?

----------------

On 2/22/2004 1:36:30 AM Griffinator wrote:

Yeah, but even Pioneer Elite still hasn't gotten back up to the quality level of their legendary SS amps of the late 70's. They made a big mistake trying to go mass-market back in the late 80's, and while they're a bigger company and making lots of money, they'll never command the respect for build quality they used to.

----------------

i would disagree with the comment about the "legendary SS amps" of the late 70's.....

i owned several pioneer receivers from that era..... lots of power.... but nothing about them was "legendary".....

my current pioneer elite vsx-55txi is at least up to the build quality of those units if not much better.... and IMHO blows away everyone else in the same price range....

1.gif

I must first admit that I have never auditioned the Synergy line having moved from KG5.2s for music only then adding a KV1 for a center channel for HT (with another brand of surrounds) and then to Ref 3s and now to Ref 7s. I am sure that the Synergy series are more than adequite speakers for many.

Now, every company needs an entry level line and a place to market them to the masses in order to ensure that those who catch the "upgradeitus" bug choose THEIR brand. While not everyone who purchases Synergies from BB is ultimatly going to upgrade, there will be a percentage that do...and hopefully wind up in these forums. For example, I have a friend who not too long ago purchased Synergies from BB to replace his aging Infinitys and upgrade to 7.1 from Pro-logic. He was thrilled with the sound... that is untill he came to my home and listened to my Ref 3s. Well, he was immediatly smitten by the "bug" and sold off his Synergies to purchase my Ref 3s.

My point is that I believe that sales of the Synergy line as an entry level line were being severely impeded by being sold alongside the Reference line, and it was a wise move by Klipsch to separate the marketing channels. The problem for me has been that Klipsch has been too slow for my liking to replace the void left by cancelling Tweeter/Sound Advice. However, that seems to be straighteninng out rapidly and I now have 2 different (competitive) sources for the Reference line within driving distance. One has even chosen to stock and audition the Heratige series. I got my first ever look at K Horns a few months ago at one of these dealers. This would never have happened if Klipsch had not made it's changes.

As for the cheapening of speakers sold at BB ruining Klipsch's good name, there is no concrete evidence that will occur since even if they cheapen the product considerably and quality does drop, the speakers Klipsch sells at BB will still outperform anything else that BB offers.

Jerry Rappaport