Heritage owners - (stupid?) questions...

Griffinator

This was discussed in another topic, but here we go again. The room is 17' on the short wall where the mains and center sit. The room is 50' and I sit back about 22' from the mains. When I'm into the music it's playing between 100 and 104db and you can feel it.

Numerous times it has been mentioned in this thread that the Heritage speakers share the same drivers, with the exception of the Heresy II's woofer. NOT SO...the currently manufactured Heresy II also does NOT share the same tweeter. How do I know? Because I looked at the ones I won this time last year...and because the engineering staff at Indy last summer brought up that subject, explaining that the additional cost of providing the tweeter in the Heresy that the rest of the currently-manufactured Heritage speakers use would drive the price of the Heresys up another circa 200 bucks...or maybe even more. When I got my prize Heresy II's home, it was obvious that they were not as efficient as my old ones I built back in 1977. Unless I turned the old ones off, they just overpowered the new ones. The new ones still have about the same sound, more or less, but just not as much punch at any given volume as the old ones have. This is likely due to the need for the woofer and midrange driver in the new ones to be "dialed back" in order to match up with the less efficient tweeter in the new ones. In no way am I knocking the currently-made Heresy speakers, I am just telling you folks what I have found out about them. One of the goals of some of the engineering staff at Indy, from what they said last summer, is to try to get the currently-made Heresys II speakers back to having the same tweeter as the rest of that line...I dunno if they have done that yet.

I don't know Dean?

Tonight I was listening to music that had a lot more dynamic range to it. On one whole CD the needles steadly bounced from 2 watts to 200 watts. On another

I was more at a steady 20 watts with peaks at 300 watts. I think this can depend a lot on the type of music and the quality of the recording.

I dunno what particular fighters these were, but the have dual engines and tailfins.

At 150 yards directly behind them with no hearing protection, they both do a backburner take-off from a dead-stop.

Argh! It's too loud!

I knew you were joshin', no speakers can do those SPL's.

I don't even want to be near those kind of sound pressure levels.

(Unless it's a nitro-burner at 15 feet.)2.gif

----------------

On 2/21/2004 10:01:03 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

There is nothing worse for an audio system than a drunken guest who happens to be a "high-volume" junkie...and who is headed for the volume control/tone controls of one's amplifier. This is compounded in "teenaged situations." Especially now-a-days, when so many teenagers are already deaf from riding around inside high-distortion "subwoofers on wheels."

----------------

But that lends credence to the "headroom" argument, doesn't it? If amp distorion is the #1 speaker killer, then the best thing a client could do to prevent it is to have an amplifier that is capable of putting out a lot more than what the speakers can handle, right?

Any amp will clip no matter how much or how little wattage it is.

Even if the amplifer can put out way more power than the speakers can handle, nonetheless the volume monster will still try to crank it and see how loud it gets.

So now you clip a amp that is way more power than the speakers can handle.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 7:13:55 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

..."the currently manufactured Heresy II also does NOT share the same tweeter."

----------------

I was under the impression that the newer Heresy IIs tweeter was the same as the older Heresys (and the rest of the Heritage lineup). If the original Heresy (such as your '77s) used the same tweeter as the Cornwalls, La Scalas, etc., then why did they change in later model revisions? Or were all the Heresy's tweeters always different from the other Heritage models?

Sorry...I'm always dazed and confused...14.gif