Kudos to Ray Garrison

Klewless

----------------

On 2/21/2004 11:13:16 AM Klewless wrote:

Congratulations

Your Letter to the Editor published in March Stereophile was right ON!

----------------

I thought Ray's letter was a masterpiece of statement, timing, and insight, that brought the stars into alignment and moved a real issue in a major mag. Congratulations!

Larry

I'll paste the exact text of the letter later today, half to log in to office email to retrieve it. That's not the whole story...

Background - since Art Dudly's arrival at Stereophile following the (extremely lamented) failure of Art's magazine Listener, Art has stirred up a few controversies. For one thing, he insists that listening to a live musical performance and listening to a music system are two fundamentally different things, and it is silly and pointless to try and make one into the other. He also has this annoying tendency to listen to things he likes to listen to rather than things that produce a more objectively "accurate" reproduction of a musical event. So, he owns Lowther speakers because he likes to listen to them. He uses tube amps (sometimes) because he likes the way they sound. He owns a turntable, and recently discovered SACD.

Sometimes people have condensed this into a "you should listen to what you like, and the hell with accuracy" position. This is doing Art a disservice. However, there's really no question that he'd rather listen to something that he likes rather than some "better", more "accurate" system that he doesn't like.

J Gordon Holt, founder of and former reviewer for Stereophile, left the magazine a while back because of some fundamental differences of opinion between JGH and the current editorial staff and the direction the magazine is going, especially with regard to surround sound (JGH being a big proponent of multichannel, Atkinson et al not moving in that direction quickly enough for him) among many other issues. JGH no longer writes *FOR* Stereophile, but sometimes writes *TO* them, in the form of letters to the editor.

Art and Gordon have been having a bit of a hissy fit regarding Gordon's insistance that accuracy is what we're trying to achive, and Art's responding that what we're trying to achive is have FUN. They're not really at the point of exchanging blows over this, more of a fun jabbing contest, but the readership has been lining up behind one side or the other, to some degree.

I wrote a letter saying, basically, I'd been reading Stereophile for a long time, had always thought along the lines of JGH, but that Art had made me question a few things. I also said that I have been a Klipsch devotee for a long time (Heritage series, anyway). I said I'd tried a lot of speakers that were more "accurate" than the big Klipch horns (in the sense of eveness of frequency response, off axis response, phase response and other audiophile-important things like that), but that I always wound up selling the other speakers and coming back to Klipsch 'cause what ever it is that they're doing right, they do it more right than any other speaker I have ever heard.

JGH replied to the letter saying, surprisingly enough (IMHO) that he agreed with me, and that the big old horn loaded Heritage series speakers did the midrange right like no other speakers do.

Atkinson said (in opening As We See It commentary) that my letter, Gordon's response to my letter, and Art's preference for the stuff he listens to had prompted Atkinson to try and arrange a formal review of a pair of Klipshorns by Art.

We'll see what happens next...

No, I think we should draw up a Forum Petition. You should have won the letter writing contest last year, which was one of the most powerful things I had ever read. Together with this deal, earns you the right to take the K-horns home when Dudley is done with them.1.gif

Free k-horns for Ray? Na, he wouldn't want'em, what with those awful horn reflections, phase problems and that rough frequency response. 11.gif2.gif (I did think you were just a wee bit rough on our babies.) Seriously though, that was a very good letter, and if it helps get a Stereophile to review of a pair of our "big ol' horns", then by golly, it's a great letter! Good job, Ray!