Quicksilver KT-88's Value?

Strabo

I was playing around in a local store today and found some Quicksilver KT-88's for sale and now I have a lot of questions. Looked on audiogon and ebay and couldn't find anything on them price wise.

Anyone know what a good price would be for the pair?

They are very clean looking amps on a black base with chromed bells without a mark on them. Includes the bias meter and some paperwork.

Keep in mind that they will need to be re-tubed soon. Tested output listed at 36 watts.

I didn't bring them home today, and they are closed Sunday's so I have at least until Monday morning to figure out if I want to make an offer.

I checked Quicksilvers website and they are asking $160 per amp for all six of the tubes for the stock replacements. Would it be a good idea to change all the tubes, or just the kt-88's?

Any input would be appreciated.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:21:47 PM Guy Landau wrote:

They are worth between $800 to $1200. It is recommended to test the tubes and replace only the ones that test poorly.

----------------

Guy,

I'm wondering about that recommendation. What difference would it make if the user dropped in all new tubes?

----------------

They are worth between $800 to $1200. It is recommended to test the tubes and replace only the ones that test poorly.

----------------

They are asking $1,000 for the pair which is smack in the middle.

So I shouldn't assume that all the tubes will need to be replaced. Might be a good experiment to get a friend to drag out his tube tester.

Thanks!

Any comments on sound? Smilin, where are you?

They offered to let me take them home to try out before buying. Guess maybe I should have.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:38:27 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Dee,

It depends on your negotiating skills, but the price should probably closer to $1200 than to $800.

----------------

Since these belong to an associate of the store (who is out of the country on vacation at the moment) I was thinking of at least asking for a discount on replacement tubes if not asking them to throw in a good set.

They should have plenty laying around being a VTL dealer.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:37:16 PM Strabo wrote:

----------------

----------------

They are asking $1,000 for the pair which is smack in the middle.

So I shouldn't assume that all the tubes will need to be replaced. Might be a good experiment to get a friend to drag out his tube tester.

Thanks!

Any comments on sound? Smilin, where are you?

They offered to let me take them home to try out before buying. Guess maybe I should have.

----------------

Strabo,

I emailed you Smilin's contact info. 2.gif

Call or email him.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/22/2004 1:44:20 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 2/21/2004 11:48:06 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Is Smilin selling them?
----------------

I don't know. Anything is possible with him though.

----------------

I heard them for 10 minutes, Craig has them, so who the hell knows....I'm starting to think of maybe selling all my tubes, and getting just 1 top grade intergrated w/remote, or 1 pre w/ remote and top grade amp?

Suggestions in the 3-4K range would be appreciated.6.gif3.gif

----------------

On 2/21/2004 8:31:59 PM Strabo wrote:

"Keep in mind that they will need to be re-tubed soon."

----------------

Just curious...what indication do you have that these amps need to be re-tubed? Are the tubes in them faulty, or would you replace them because of their age? There are lots of old tubes out there that have plenty of life still in 'em IMO.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 10:29:13 AM Guy Landau wrote:

If you would have let that tubes warm up for a while, especially since they have not been used for a while, you wouldn't even think of replacing them with SS gear
2.gif
----------------

I think he's talking about a tube amp and preamp like the Rogue Audio products? 9.gif