A little confused about the meaning of "phase"

Juba310

0 unless you have more then 1 sub, then you can play with it.

also sometimes if you have big midrange drivers like RF-7, they can interfere with the sub. The phase (correct me if Im wrong) offsets the signal in order to reduce cancellations. If you can 2 subs or more (cough ear), sometimes they can cancel each other, So to get max output you need to put them out of phase. I run my SWS at 180 while my Ultra is at 0 to achieve max output. Its mostly dependent on the room and location on your subs

Sound travels in the form of waves. If you have two different sources for the same frequency, and the trough of the wave from one source reaches you at the same time as the peak of the wave from the other source, they will tend to cancel out. This will happen when they are 180 degrees out and the same amplitude. This seldom happens, but you can still get some degree of cancellation when they are not exactly in phase. The phase control lets you dial out some or all of this cancellation.

You may need the phase control even if you have only one subwoofer because the sub and the mains share some frequencies. The simplest phase control is just reversing the speaker wires. It changes phase by 180 degrees. Just pick the setting that gives the best bass.

You do have to tune the phase even you have only 1 sub when needed. When the sub and your speakers output the same frequency, they have constructive and destructive interference in those nodes......... just sit down where you listen to the speakers and try them to be 0degree or 180 is better bass for your system 9.gif

Your SVS probably has a variably adjustable pot for phase control. Just sit at your listening position and play some LFE test tones and have someone slowly turn the phase pot from 0 to 180 degrees, stop where it is the loudest. Getting the correct phase made a considerable difference in my setup.