Congrats to Ray Garrison

sunnysal

I enjoyed Ray´s letter, published in stereophile this month, about the longstanding feud between accuracy and enjoyment as the ultimate goal in stereo equipment design and manufacture. I have just one complaint Ray...why oh why did you not scream for a new Klipshorn review?! warm regards, tony

It was a great letter.

I am surprised they published it.

It kind of left the door open on a 3 way horn speaker review in the future in the editorial response.

In recent listening of large cone mids and electrostatics; horn mid of the Chorus II and LaSclas still have more mid range dynamics and realism than the 3 pair of $ 7000 to 10,000 per pair speakes I have heard in the past couple of mionths.

The Lowther with a properly implemented sub still intrigues me though.

I will have to save that singel driver investigation for 2008; too many other things to do between now and then.

Just responding to the Lowther comment above... While I have heard Lowthers sound good (even very good) with certain, extremely well-recorded program, they are really unbearable to me with, e.g., compressed, poorly-mastered 'pop' recordings (even some not-so-bad ones). No question that my Cornwalls are pretty unforgiving of a bad-sounding recording, but they're never unlistenable. I heard some Stevie Ray Vaughn on AlNiCo Lowthers in backloaded horns that I just couldn't take.