Harmon Kardon Comparisons - 430,520,and 525

smartling

The others are older that's why the 430 is more. go with the one that fits your needs. Do you like the new look? That could be an issue for you. All harmans look good to me but i would prefer an all black setup. It's timeless in my opinion. If you have speakers outside or on a deck or another room look for one that has the seven channels so you can listen to music why your grilling and the children or wife can watch a movie in 5.1. Very cool i think. If that doesn't mean anything to you look on the web site and see if it has enough and the right video connections for you. Then check and see which one has the most amps like 35 or 45. My harman doesn't have dolby prologic two but it seems fuller than my old prologic two onkyo. All because it has more power. I am thinking

I also preferred the older black appearance of the AVR 525, and mine performed without a hitch. Good, clean power all the way to max, and great sounding with Klipsch speakers. If you listen to movies and music VERY, VERY, VERY LOUD, you may also want to consider the AVR 7200. The price of the 7200 recently plummeted at online authorized dealers with the upcoming introduction of H/K's new flagship receiver, and you get a monster receiver. Recently, it became too much of a temptation for me. Ultimately, it depends on your budget for your receiver.

Damn that upgrade bug!!

P.S. If you would be interested in a 6-8 month old AVR 525, let me know.

---------------------

Samsung TXN3245FP,Harmon Kardon AVR 7200,Denon DVD-2900,RF3II,RC3II,RS35,KLF-C7,RC35,SVS 20-39PCi,SVS PB2-ISD

Yamaha RX-V1300,Onkyo SKS-HT500,Axiom QS-8,HSU VTF-2

I'll let you know what I think of the 430 when it comes this weekend (I ordered it on Monday) - I am pretty excited about the jump into HT equipment now that I have a Sony RPTV and a pair of Klipsch Forte's to start with >grin<. Why HK? Years ago I bought an HK665pm integrated amp for my stereo system - and it cranks to this day. HK is good, classic stuff.

Chris

Follow-up post:

I purchased an AVR430 last Monday, and received Friday. Couldn't wait to get it out of the box. Here is my "unoficial newbie" review of the product, which may be slightly biased (as this is my first AV receiver purchase), but since you asked:

1) Build - the unit is both heavy and robust, with attractive cosmetics. The functional layout is nicely done, and all back panel input/outputs are clearly marked.

2) Documentation - the manual is EXTENSIVE, and while not too "easy to read" for the fledgling HT aficionado, it nonetheless covers everything in great detail. What I particularly like is the "easy setup" brochure, which gives a very nice overall view on how to hook things up. Nicely done. The "OSD" function (on-screen display) also is simple to use, and gives the owner a very quick visual reference to setting up the system audio and video inputs without headache.

3) Quality - well, I can hardly be unbiased, because this is my first receiver, and I went from a stereo receiver to a unit whose capabilities I will never fully tap. Sound quality is outstanding, there are so many modes to choose from that it is easy to find one that matches your own "sonic preference". I watched "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" last evening and was blown away by the crispness of the orchestra (tight, clean bass, delicate bells, excellent brass renditions). I am using Klipsch Forte's as my mains, so I guess this is no surprise...;>).

I could not be more enthusiastic about the purchase, and at $593 total, how can you beat it? I have always appreciate Harmon Kardon equipment, and feel that this unit is an outstanding receiver that is feature packed, user friendly, and a delight to operate. Might I suggest you look into this as a serious option?

Chris 9.gif

I've had a 630 inhouse today for an audition and I must say I am very impressed.I don't think I can hack the silver though,but to each their own.On music this unit is great and has lots or raw power,really,lots of power.I can't stand it any louder to see if it can outperform my seperate Parasound amp,at 110db and below it sounds just as good.I am leaning toward the 7200(I prefer black)but do like the dot matrix display better on the 630.I would think the 430 should sound great too,I have a 125 in my bdrm and even it sounds good,enjoy your HK,you got the best sound you can get new at the price.

No doubt! It took me years to find an av receiver i could afford that sounded good with cd's to. Last night i had mine cranked up so loud it was awesome and it didn't even hurt my ears from the highs. But it might of damaged them in a different way. Good purchase i got mine used and what can i say i couldn't of gotten a better deal.

as long as she keeps the tunes and movies jammin. OH so sweet now i know what sweet is. Crank that sucker up and see if the tweeters hurt your ears. All you harman owners know what i am talking about.