just bought my first Klipsch!

drewzter

welcome me to the world of Klipsch, officially!

I've been looking at/listening to them for years at a local store, but never had the $$$ if you know what I mean...

so after this year's great tax refund, it was time to take the plunge.

the only thing my system was missing was a center channel speaker (was using a tiny Realistic!) so...

I got the KLF C7 from eBay. I wasn't going to piddle around with the 5.25" or 6.5" centers from Klipsch or Polk or anybody...

there's just not much better you can do than 2 8's in a center speaker, IMO.

Anyway, I LOVE it, of course. It hasn't really gotten that much use yet, but it will.

Eventually, I will replace my front mains since they're not magnetically shielded. I'm not going to skimp with that purchase either, and will be looking exclusively at towers with built-in powered subs.

Anyone here that can recommend the ones Klipsch makes?

I'm leaning more towards dishing out the 2 grand or so for the Definitive Technology BP series...

what do you guys think?

all will be powered by a Yamaha RX V1 (or its replacement by the time I'm ready to buy that)

welcome aboard drew! not to be a spoil sport, but i know klipsch's latest powered towers, reference rp(discontinued) & synergy sp-1 do not voice/timbre match well w/ the c-7. maybe their older PT speaks like the ksp do, but i doubt it.

the klf & cornwall non powered i know do match well.

i had to shield my klf-30 myself w/ bucking magnets & that worked real well w/ my sony trinitron. may want to go that route w/ non-powered mains & a seperate sub to match that c-7. just want u to have a more seamless

front soundstage & not run into future trouble. cwm1.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

thanks for the advice...

can the KLF 30's be bi-amped?

I sort of remember that they can....

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x5

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA connection to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

quote:

Originally posted by drewzter:

thanks for the advice...

can the KLF 30's be bi-amped?

I sort of remember that they can....

yes definitely. have my 30s biwired now.

forgot to ask, what are u using for mains now? how do they sound w/ the c-7; sound a lot dif than the mains?

drewzter - Glad you finally got a Klipsch!! While the Def Techs are fine speakers, I suspect they may not be a good match for the KLF-C7 center channel. They might have a very different sound to them which will cause the front soundstage to not be as smooth as you might like it to be. It is usually best to get all front speakers from the same family within the same manufacturer.

If you're going to spend $2000 on front speakers, I'd go with Boa's suggestion and look at the KLF-30's and a separate sub. The 30's are kind of being cleared out now (as they are discontinued) so you can probably pick them up and still have money left towards a sub. Having a separate sub gives you more flexibility in placement.

Also, you could look at the RS-7 (the brand new kick-butt fronts).

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

forgot to ask, what are u using for mains now? how do they sound w/ the c-7; sound a lot dif than the mains?

I have dbx Soundfield V's that I got back in '90 from DAK - anybody remember that techie mag from the 80's?

Anyway, they kick serious butt, especially for only $300/pr.

They're not as efficient or as bright as the C7, so I've had to turn the center volume down...

but, they've got 5 drivers, 15" woofers that go down to 24hz for serious bass, even more serious than most powered subs...

but, like I said, they're not magnetically shielded, and eventually they'll wind up in a music listening room or something (because they are awesome for music),

and be replaced by powered towers...

sorry, but I'm sold on the powered tower concept. the sub can use the volume of the entire cabinet, and you also save the space that 2 separate subs would take up.

The only store around here that sells the def techs is in raleigh, a 45-minute jaunt, so I'm going to go over there and see how the big boys sound...

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA connection to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

quote:

Originally posted by drewzter:

I have dbx Soundfield V's that I got back in '90 from DAK - anybody remember that techie mag from the 80's?

I still have my "Click and Pop Assassin" SAE 5000 from him (Drew Allen Kaplan that is) still pretty prestine in it's original box in storage. He used to love ticking off Cincinnati Microwave's (makers of Passport) radar detectors with his Maxxon brand. Guess they finally ran him out of business for a while. I hear he's back at it again though.

Also, I still have in my box of laughs an equalizer for a walkman! I thought this was really funny for years unitl a few months ago I saw someone downtown with what looked to be a similar but current unit. Should put that thing up on eBay. Then there was the Mura Red III headphones, great wright-up by Drew but man did those things sound like garbage!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33 (In the Hospital--being discharged on June 29th)

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 06-27-2001 at 10:26 PM

Welcome to the World of Klipsch

Smile.gif

enjoy

cwm42.gif

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Thank you all.

Now, since this is the only thread of mine that is getting any replies, maybe you guys can answer my other question here:

I'm putting my mom's home theater together and have the receiver and now the KSC-C1 as the center channel.

I have found the KG 3.5's on uBid for as little as $89 apiece.

Are these good matches for the KSC-C1?

I believe they are, just want some assurance.

Thanks!

------------------

DirecTV