Off Topic....Rosie O-Donnell

maxg

The first mention of the word "marriage" was in 1297 AD according to the Oxford English Dictionary (which I just bought hehe).

Definition

The condition of being a husband or wife; the relation between married persons; spousehood, wedlock

1297 AD it was to him gret prou and honour to be in such marriage alied to the emperor

It does not say "the condition of being husband AND wife" or "the relation between A married MAN AND WOMAN"

I like to live by the Oxford English Dictionary, it has gotten me through a lot of arguments, and if we are really talking about changing the definition/institution of the word/likeness of marriage, what better resource to cite than the venerable OED?

In my honest opinion, I don't see why this thread should be on the Klipsch bulletin boards, and I am 100% for the original definition of marriage; be that a wedlock/spousehood/relation of man and woman, woman and woman, or man and man.

The Bible DOES have passages against homosexuality. But the United States is not run by the church. Any church. We have a separation of the church and the state. So more power to you using religion as an argument against homosexuals, but it can't be used to argue government policy. Saying "In God We Trust" is OK to me, but I sympathize with those who could be offended. We can't compensate for everyone, I know. But we should NEVER oppress anyone, purposely.

I would like to mention that the first use of the word was the "marriage" of a man to his emperor". Not "empress". This is not to say that the first use of the word was a homosexual use, just something worth noting.

My roommate, and best friend, who saved my life a few times last semester (it was a rough time in my life, I thank everyday I have him still is a rough time) is gay. I love him to, well death. I want nothing more than for him than to become the psychiatrist he wants to be and have the family he wants to have. And I better be at least the best man at the wedding.

Ok, lets end this tirade. Oh yeah, I am looking at a getting a turn table again, college budget, <$300. TWO CHANNEL AUDIO WILL LIVE FOREVER

The marriage of two mono signals

Oops, different definition 1.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jt1stcac,

Ap accepted. I'm sorry too; I know I'm getting a little heated.

For the record, since everyone seems to be tying these totally unrelated subjects together, I am NOT against inter-racial marriage. I've never read anything in the bible to make me think it was wrong. (After all, Moses married an Ethiopian woman.) And I see no other reason to think it is wrong. Unwise in some situations, perhaps, but not wrong; certainly not a sin.

And as for "having an open mind and accepting things", no, I don't have to do that. Would you have said that to a Jewish friend in Nazi Germany in 1939? I thought not. (Different side of the same coin)

I'm not worried about the choices others make ~for them~, but when they affect me, my family, my country, yes I worry about them.

Jesus did command the disciples to "judge not", but he also commanded them to go into world and reprove sin. So, there is a big distinction between the two.

Whew!...Hope your brother likes his kg3.2's

Justin,

No offence, but I'm afraid the Oxford English Dictionary is predated by the oldest scriptures in the bible by a few thousand years. Marriage is, and always has been the union of a man and a woman.

I agree with you, Justin on one thing - This discussion does not belong here, and if I can ever extricate myself from it, I have every intention of avoiding becoming involved, here, in this kind of thing in the future. It's all Max's fault!12.gif2.gif

MaxG,

Congratulations on a great two channel subjet,the grotesque whale named Rosie.very two channel,and with this other touchy subjects were brought up to life.Great just what the Klipsch forum needs.

Know I do not care for the butch named Rosie and reading about this creature has not much to do with audio.

If this was an unmoderated forum I would use the verbal chainsaw on rosie and all her supporters but I have to remain civil.

Ear and others,

Whilst I sympathize with your POV that this does not belong in the 2 channel forum - and even regretted posting it myself for a while I am now very glad I did.

It has been one of the most interesting and in many cases well argued debates I have seen on the 2 channel forum - and I, at least, enjoyed it immensely.

Hopefully others did too - but I promise to refrain from starting other political threads from now on.

Greek Election day today - ironically enough...but I wont mention that...