Any Gamers Among Us? Novice Advice Needed!

Chris Robinson

I'm 48 years old with a four year old. Pretty cool, actually. He's a great little boy with a heart as big as a Klipschorn.

I just got a Panny plasma with a DVI input (unused right now) and I was wondering if it would be fun to get some games to run through it (and the HT gear). Problem is ... I'm CLUELESS about what to start with ... PS2, Nintendo, Sony ...

Can you guys give me a primer on this subject?

Can I use the HT for sound and the PDP for display?

Are game controls wireless yet?

Is it all 'blood and guts' or are there 'good games' for kids out there?

Thanks. I'm still in my "training wheels" phase so your help is appreciated.

As far as I know, I dont believe any of the systems have a DVI output. My kids PSII goes thru the SVideo input into our tv. Before I changed TV's, I had the PSII hooked up to the AV reciever and it brought the game to life with the volume/ greater sound ambiance. Now they just get the 35" with tv speakers :D But they are young girls, so sound quality really doesnt matter to them.

I know a little not a lot....

But, I believe all systems are component capable. I am almost positive none have DVI.

(Visual)

X-box has best graphics, Nintendo secon,d PS2 worst.

X-box has 480p(know for sure) 780p(maybe?) and 1080i(know for sure stuff

PS2 I am not sure even is widescreen compatable.

(Audio)

EVERY x-box game is in dolby digital!!!

Nintendo uses Pro-Logic 2.

Most PS2 games are stereo, but some are in DTS.

Personally I don't like the PS2, many many many people do though. I think for a 4 year old I would get a Nintendo GameCube. Nintendo has many games that aren't blood and guts... Mario anything :-) Nintendo targets the younger generation and I think that would be your best choice. Gamecube also has very good graphcics and sound and is very good for young kids. X-box is more for older people....

I know gamecube and x-box has wireless controllers, that both work very well. I don't follow PS2 as much anymore so I can't say.

Hope that helps!

Chris, Gamecube is a good recommendation. They have a good selection of games for kids. Having said that, I would worry about putting any video game through your plasma because a lot of video games have menus and interfaces that remain static on the screen. If this stays on the screen for a prolonged period of time, it could start to burn in. (Similar to computer monitors and hence the need for screen savers)I do not believe plasmas have any special techonology that would make this effect worse, but ruining a plasma display costs a lot more than ruining a monitor or regular tv.

Take that with a grain of salt as I know people do play video games on plasmas. It's just do you want to risk any amount of damage to your precious plasma?

Maybe by a smaller cheaper crt for video games?

Can anybody chime in who has experience with this?

-UP

NP, chris :-) I have a friend that owns all three systems so if you have any other questions just ask.

I thought plasmas had a way to repair themselves from burn in?? I heard it was a huge problem in the earlier plasmas but that they are much much better and they have used some cool technology to fix themselves.

From what I have heard I would be more comfortable using a Game system on a plasma than my Rear Screen Projection which I do quiet frequently. But, I don't sit down and play video games for 3+ hours in a row anymore...hehe

I do know very little about plasma tvs though so don't take my word :-)

ok, I hate to admit this but I'm a gamer (sigh..) and I would say that for children, the GAMECUBE has the best games--most colorful, friendly, very nintendo-like (lots of creatures and characters and such). The X box was created to essentially bring the more advanced games of the PC to a console based system, and it wasn't really ever targeted for "family" games, though some have come out since their original market techniques and strategies. The PLAYSTATION2 unit was a best both worlds approach, and tries to bridge the gap between the "adult" functions of the x-box and the "youth" functions of the gamecube. The PS2 though quite a nice unit is actually of the three console systems available, the weakest in terms of graphics, frames per second, color palette, etc etc..and it is also the oldest, hence it is behind via technology, but has the largest catalogue of games available.

For children--the two systems to look at would be the GAMECUBE and the PS2. For something more well rounded, the PS2 would have the edge in the sheer number of titles available for play (anywhere from childrens games to "must be 18 to buy" type games).

I have my PS2 hooked up through component cables on my 55" mits, and I know that this is a function available on the XBOX as well. I'm not sure on the gamecube however. MONSTER CABLE is the maker of the higher end video game cables, and I'm sure that they have more information about this or anyother way you wish to hook up your game system.

Good luck!

oh, and in response to the "burn-in" question.

yes--it is something to consider. any sort of static menu OR static function in the game (healthbars or the HUD display for your playable character) CAN burn in---BUT!! this is only an issue if games are on the system for at least 40% of the total viewing time where the TV is used. So, you'd have to play ALOT! of games and have somewhat long sessions to get a burn in on the screen. It is a worry that you should have, but if you use your best judgement this shouldn't really be a concern, as much as it should be a precaution. if it is a concern, you could do what a few friends of mine have done which is have a seperate 27" tube TV for their video games, but I don't think that this is necessary.

Thors nailed the consoles right,I have all the consoles since the Sega Genesis to the XBox but I am no longer console games(gathering dust).

Right now all the gaming is done on my main PC monster(P4 Extreme 3.2/Sapphire 9800 Ultimate and the works)when you see what a PC system can do no console comes close for F1/nascar racing,flight sim,WWII games,RPG and strategy games)the PC has so many outstanding titles no console is close.

These days Deux EX Invisible War takes most of my time,like the first the story is riveting,gaming at its best.

If console you want,I would get the XBox,graphics,sound and CPU/GPU power to bring things to life.And many good games.

I'd vote for either the Xbox or the Gamecube. The Gamecube (as stated before) has many kid-appropriate titles. And many of those (i.e. Metroid Prime, F-ZeroX, Zelda etc.) are even great titles for adults. The Xbox has a lot of great games as well.

The Gamecube has a lot of draw because of it's first party franchise games. You will only find Zelda, Metroid and Mario on this system and they are generally speaking all very high quality. New Metroid and Zelda games are being released this year, and for the adult gamer, the next Resident Evil (which is Nintendo exclusive). Overall hardware is great graphics and very good sound. Plus, you mentioned an interest in wireless controllers, and the Gamecube has probably the best one around (the Wavebird).

If you want a really cheap and integrated solution, get the Xbox. I have an Xbox with a modchip that has emulators from the Atari 2600 to the N64 (essentially, any cartridge based system). This is why I say integrated, because if it is modded, the Xbox will literally do them all perfectly (and if the concept of this whole modding idea tweaks your interest, check out www.xbox-scene.com. You'll learn anything and everything you need there). The line-up for this system this year consists of Halo 2, Splinter Cell Pandora's Box and Ninja Gaiden. Overall, excellant graphics, excellant sound. This system has no first party wireless controllers, but the Pelican wireless controller feels half decent.

As far as the PS2, I can't say I'm a fan... First of all, the system only has 2 controller ports (you can buy a multi-tap, but at this point you really shouldn't have to). The graphics are worse and while it does have the broadest support of titles, it also has the most "crap" titles (which comes with any lineup... there's usually a ratio of some sort). I just feel that for what Sony charges for their system, they could have put a little more into it.15.gif

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on the current generation of consoles.

Hey Chris!

Thank God I'm not the only crazy person here. I'm 49, with a four year old boy (Nick) and a 19 year old daughter in college.

In a case deja vue all over again, I asked exactly the same question down in the gaming forum. I also got just about the exact same reply - for a young child, Gamecube is the popular choice due to availability of G-rated games.

----------------

On 3/1/2004 8:59:02 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

Hey Chris!

Thank God I'm not the only crazy person here. I'm 49, with a four year old boy (Nick) and a 19 year old daughter in college.

In a case deja vue all over again, I asked exactly the same question down in the gaming forum. I also got just about the exact same reply - for a young child, Gamecube is the popular choice due to availability of G-rated games.

----------------

Everybody, above, thanks for the great input. I will take your comments and do "due diligence" off-line to make an "educated guess" as to what will be right for us. Your input's been great.

Ray, thanks for chiming in as well. It isn't often that I bump into people of our age group raising young kids. I have to admit that, the older I get, the better being a parent gets... and I wouldn't do it any other way. There is a limit (I suppose) to how far along in life you'd want to bring a child into the world, but this has been great. Sure puts the rest of things into perspective, huh?