Use a La Scalla in horizontal plane? One for Sale

jdire1

While the LaScalla works great in between Khorns, I would advise against running the K400-K401 squawker horn on its side. It was designed to run horizontally not Vertically. As for the bass bin and K77, they can be run horz or vertically just fine.

If the height is an issue, I would run the LAS on its side, but mount the Squawker Horizontally somehow.

Q-man is an exception1.gif Unfortunately, It is very hard to get a 3rd Khorn in most peoples HT rooms.

You should have no problem selling the spare LAS in the Chicago area.

JM

jdire1,

I put a LaS on its side, between 2 Khorns, & it was almost depressingly bad. Forum members thought I had lost my ears because I posted that the RC7 I had (which was idealy positioned) was the better center. When I stood the LaS up, I had to get used to my TV being too high, but the sonics are worth it.

SSH

Mine is still laying on its side since the RPTV would be positioned too high if I stood it up. I am having no issues whatsoever in this configuration it sounds great whether it was designed to work this way or not. I refuse to settle for a lesser center channel and since laying it on it side is the only way it will work for me right now that is the way that it is going to stay. What may work for some may not work for others but mine is fine in the position that it is in.

It doesn't get more authentic Paul W. Klipsch than having a LaScala, upright and equally spaced in between Klipschorns 20 or so feet apart. LaScala was designed and built to be THE center. The Belle Klipsch is a redesigned LaScala to satisfy the visual aesthetics of Mr. Paul's first wife, Belle.

While admittedly, the height of the LaScala is a bit much for a TV stand, inverting a LaScala atop your TV will provide a superior sound as the horn tweeter will be even better situated to permeate the room. Q-man creates his "theater sound" effect with inverted LaScalas, etc. LaScala fans with front projection units have split the cabinet with the bass bin on the floor (for greater bass effect) and the midrange and tweeter horns in a custom cabinet above the screen. Actually, Belles can also be split for better video configurations.

If you are concerned about integrating Klipschorns and LaScalas for multi-channel music or DVD purposes, you might consider holding on to your "extra" LaScala. Using three LaScala's in your rear array is the finest compliment (short of all Klipschorns in a seven cornered room) to your Klipschorn-LaScala-Klipschorn front array. Or at least that's the way it would seem from my new five Belles and two Klipschorns experiment. =HornEd

PS: Actually, Q-man the five Belles may serve as two front effects and three rear effects speakers with a three Klipschorn front in a specially designed (400 sq. ft. plus) audio/video lounge... with double-paned display window glass for a natural flora and fauna mountain forest view. Preliminary plans call for a subterranean rock chambered fully-loaded horn subwoofer. Part of the joy of remaining alive is bringing Klipsch loudspeakers to provide the joyful noise! 12.gif