RB-5 with Promedia?

noobzilla

I've been a multimedia speaker user for the last few years and I think it's time for an upgrade. Does anyone imagine any problems with running RB-5's as fronts off the Promedia Ultra 5.1 amp? I rarely get into the higer volumes and the RB-5's are pretty sensitive so I don't think it will be a problem, but I want to make sure.

Two more questions. Since these are for my computer I will obviously be sitting closer to them than the average person's bookshelf setup, probably between 2 and 3 feet away. Will this affect the sound quality in any way? Finally, how do the RB-5's compare to the new 35's? I did a bit of searching and it seems to me that they will be about equal in performance. Personally, I like the look and veneer finish of the 5 more than the 35 and think that justifies a higher price, but a big difference in performance could sway that decision.

Thanks for your help.

RB-5 would definitely overkill rest of the system. As the RB-5 is 8ohm and rest of the PM are 4ohm speakers, I think you have to turn the RB up to pace in the same volume(RB-5 does more sensitivity by same watts in its optimal impendence but don't forget they have different impendence too).

Go ahead with smaller Ref speakers or u want to upgrade the entire system as you get the RB-5(look at what I did, 5 speakers in 3months 9.gif )

RB-35 has the 8" woofer as well but it has only 6.5" horn, a little smaller but the same size for the woofer(I didn't check up the page, it's just my memory, it could be wrong). I'd say stick with the RB-5 if u need to pick either one between these 2.

For the throwing distance of the horn....... I'd like to someone to answer too, I just stick to my main+center speakers like less than 2feets 9.gif

Cool to see some other Promedia owners who moved up to better stuff. Thanks for pointing that out about impedance ccsakura, I don't know how I missed it. A watt into 4 ohms will definitely be different from one into 8 ohms. I'm thinking this will be my first step into a better system, and I will keep upgrading as time and money allows. Seems kind of like what you're doing. The RB-5's should make some nice surrounds in the future.

Juba310, did you try it and see? I hooked up my dad's old Bose 301's to my 4.1's and the sound was fine for me. I think they are rated at around 100 watts and I know they are 8 ohms. I would not want to crank them but never felt the need to do so either. The RB-5's are most likely more efficient than the 301's so what you said seems kind of surprising. If all else fails, I guess I could put the RB-5's away for a bit until I get a receiver.

well dont worry about the speakers won't be pushed.......... the only problem that you have to worry about is the lower impendence speakers may be too sensitive reversely. I did place quintet on PM 5.1's before and bringing 5.1's satallite to my 8ohm's Elite as well, they don't cause any problem as long as you balance them well in sound card/reciever/preamp whatever

The more problem I'd worry about is the sound quality of RB-5 just blows every single units in PM 5.1 out 9.gif . Even the KSB 1.1..... like the lower end product in synergy series kicked my PM 5.1's center's butt and I replaced it with RC-3II within a month 11.gif

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 3/1/2004 1:32:51 PM seftonm wrote:

I've been a multimedia speaker user for the last few years and I think it's time for an upgrade. Does anyone imagine any problems with running RB-5's as fronts off the Promedia Ultra 5.1 amp? I rarely get into the higer volumes and the RB-5's are pretty sensitive so I don't think it will be a problem, but I want to make sure.

Two more questions. Since these are for my computer I will obviously be sitting closer to them than the average person's bookshelf setup, probably between 2 and 3 feet away. Will this affect the sound quality in any way? Finally, how do the RB-5's compare to the new 35's? I did a bit of searching and it seems to me that they will be about equal in performance. Personally, I like the look and veneer finish of the 5 more than the 35 and think that justifies a higher price, but a big difference in performance could sway that decision.

Thanks for your help.
----------------

Darn, I am sorry to have missed this thread. I really don't recommend listening to the RB-5's at that distance because the tweeters will bite. I've done it myself. After a few months, I rearranged my room for a proper two channel setup. Having been used to the near field listening, the RB-5's sounded a bit dull at first. It took me a few weeks to get used to the toned down highs. With carefully thoughtout corner loading, you can definately get better bass response too.

You'll need a watt or less to play at a fairly loud volume especially because you'll be sitting so close to the speakers. You shouldn't have any problem running the RB-5's off the Promedia amplifer but the amplifier really doesn't do justice for the clarity of RB-5.

----------------

On 3/2/2004 3:49:28 PM seftonm wrote:

Cool to see some other Promedia owners who moved up to better stuff. Thanks for pointing that out about impedance ccsakura, I don't know how I missed it. A watt into 4 ohms will definitely be different from one into 8 ohms. I'm thinking this will be my first step into a better system, and I will keep upgrading as time and money allows. Seems kind of like what you're doing. The RB-5's should make some nice surrounds in the future.

Juba310, did you try it and see? I hooked up my dad's old Bose 301's to my 4.1's and the sound was fine for me. I think they are rated at around 100 watts and I know they are 8 ohms. I would not want to crank them but never felt the need to do so either. The RB-5's are most likely more efficient than the 301's so what you said seems kind of surprising. If all else fails, I guess I could put the RB-5's away for a bit until I get a receiver.

----------------

A watt is a watt. It IS safe to use speakers of higher impedance on a lower impedance amp. However, it is not safe to use speakers of lower impedance on a higher impedance amp. Doing so will draw more current from the amp, which causes excessive heat build up and short circuits.

RB5's with LoudMedia!!! Please why not buy RF7's to run off the main channels or better yet get Klipsch Horns for this duty.

LOL

The CrudeMedia does not deserve sats as large or as refined as the RB5's,the new and compact RSX would be the most one could justify with the BashMedia.