my cornwall tweeters are shot

hey

i just recently aquired a pair of cornwall ll's i was thrilled to get them but when i got them home and hooked em up.... no sound out of the tweeters.. so i pulled them out and took them to my local speaker repair place.. they have been there for two weeks and they tell me they still do not have the required 'diaphrams' they need,

im gettin a little frustrated and wonder if anyone here can help/ also any good mods for these speakers i should know about... im new and this is my first pair of klipsch speakers, but ive been a longtime fan

thanks

b

You probably have the CW II produced in the last 10 years.

If so you have plastic horns. These have a drop in (no soldering) replacement diaphragm-voice coils which I bought from Klipsch for about $20 apiece. I replaced them on the Forte II which I bought off e-bay. There are three nuts and two push-on electrical connectors.

If you had the K-77 type of metal horns on the classic CW, then there is a different diaphragm-voice coil which does require more intricate work and soldering. I've done that too.

I will say there was some miscommunication when I ordered the Forte II tweeter diaphragms. The man at the Klipsch parts department, in Hope, said they were made up in the factory and I'd have to wait for the next productions run the next month. Okay by me.

It is probably the fact that these are made in China. In any event, they arrived in Chicago within a week.

Being careful, changing out the first one took 30 minutes. The second took 10 minutes.

Congrats on your purchase. With a little work they'll be up and running. You're gonna love them.

Best,

Gil

If you want to get an idea of whats involved in the replacement you could take a look at the Step-by-Step Diaphragm Replacement for the K-77 Tweeter (EV-35A) page which shows the soldered type replacement.

Like already mentioned you could buy just the diaphragm as shown or the diaphragm already soldered to its support.

Good luck...

Rob