What would you do if you can put $1600 to this system?

FuzzyMD

Currently setup

Mains: Fortes II

Center: KV3

Sides: Herseys II

Rears: Boston Monitor 4 (crappy)

Old reciever: Denon AVR-3020 Pro Logic

70% Moive / 30% Music

HT room:

14'x19'x8'

hardwood floor, no rug, no sofa

considing:

Reciever: $700 Denon 3803 B-stock from Darmark

Sub: $599 SVS PCI 20-39

or

$429 SVS CS 20-39 and use the old Denon as sub amp

or

$699 HSU VTF-3

Rears: Some used KG series from ebay

what do you guys thing? How would you spend the 1600?

thanks in advance

Fuzz

you think RFs are matche then the KG tower in the rear? actucally this is my currently setup, some of the stuffs are gonna be list on ebay tomorrow

Mains: Forte II

Center: RC3II

Side: RF3II

Pre-Amp: Denon 3020

Reciever: Denon 3300

Sub: Velodyne CT-120

Hersey II, KV3 and Boston monitor are not in use

Just a suggestion on my part due to the fact that you are thinking of putting a RC-3II for a center. It does not timbre match well at all with the Forte' II's in my opinion. I had one with my Chorus II's and if you haven't had a serious center speaker, you're going to be disappointed with that choice. My Chorus II's over power that little thing big time and make it sound hollow. I upgraded to a KLF-C7 and for the extra couple of $$ it's well worth it. People will also say the Academy is the best match but I don't want to spend $900 on one.

If you are going to drop some serious cash on a speaker, consider you hear about 80% of you dialog through your center speaker and it should take top prority.

I also own the SVS 20-39PC+ and it's a kickin sub. I've heard nothing but great reviews about the PCi series, but I wanted the extra overhead. I don't know how you could go wrong with the PCi version though.

Maybe consider picking up a Denon 3803 as first priority

Then a SVS 20-39PCi for a sub. Also stick with the powered subs. I don't think a non-powered sub will do your system justice.

And a KLF-C7 for a center. You'll be able to sell that KV-3 on Ebay for $150 or so.

If you have any extra money left over, you might consider replacing those Boston's with a pair of RS-3II's for your rear surround and play music in 5 speaker audio instead of 7. Since the back-surrounds are just for backround sounds, this speaker does a very good job of filling the room with them. I was very impressed with mine in HT for side surrounds.

Just my opinion.

Edit:

Here is something else I thought about, if your Heresey II's are in good condition, you could get $600 or so for them on Ebay and then look for a pair of Forte' II's or Quartets for your side surrounds and that would give you a better timbre match. I've seen the Quartets going for around $450 to $500 on Ebay.

Thanks for all you help guys!

toddvj, I am actucally using the Denon 3300 currently, but it will be listed on ebay for sale today

lol cowboy, yea I am thinking about a good message leather chair, I saw one from bestbuy and it quite comfortable

Freak On A Leash, the RC3II is my current center and they really don't match at all, even from my average ear, I couldn't tell the detail but it just sounds wired, mybe be it's the timbre match problem

I did some search on this forum and as you said, another Fortes 2, Academy, KLFC7 and then KV3, I bought the KV3 for temp and will sell it until I found a oak Academy, god know how long it takes.. maybe I should get a C7 a try

Fuzzy-

I'd hang with that KV-3 until you are lucky enough to find an Academy. It is a great little speaker and does a pretty good job matching up with the Forte II. I used one with my Fortes for nearly 8 years, and I was very impressed. Granted, once I got my Academy, it was a new revelation; timbre matching. While I have never A/B'd the KLF-C7 and KV-3, I'd stick with the KV-3 over getting a new center. Put your money into a good receiver (Denon would be a good choice), and a good sub. I really enjoy my SVS, and it makes a great impact. A set of KG 1.2/1.5 or 2.2/2.5 would be very good as rears, I love my set, and actually had two pairs, surrounds and rears, before I got my Chorus IIs.

The Heresy is a great speaker, but is not a timbre match with the Forte II. I'd look to replace those with some more Forte IIs or maybe some Quartets. I'd say you are well on the way to a great system.

Welcome to the Forum, some very sage advice coming from some very knowledgeable and experienced audiophiles!

I agree with most of the posts in this thread. You've got to get the new digital receiver as a priority- hey you pointed it out yourself as a weakness. Not only does it now have the processing you need, but if it's like my Pro-Logic Yammie 850, the surrounds are matrixed (not distinct channels), they only get half the power of the mains, are of limited bandwidth, + you don't have a real .1 sub output, possibly only a x-overed sub output, again not the discreet channel built into today's DVD's!

SPeaker-wise, I'd suggest that YOU FIRST SELL ME YOUR HERESY'S as they'd be a much better match to my Cornwalls than my current Definitive Bi-polars (sorry Ed, I didn't know!) With the additional $$$ you could follow the advice of the others with the new surrounds and critical center channel speaker to match the timbre and efficiency of your mains. WHAT A DEAL- WE BOTH WIN!!

upgrade your receiver first.... my recommendation... the pioneer elite vsx-55txi.....

it has a very low noise floor, an awesome MCACC system that automatically sets your speakers' levels, eq, and delay.... has i-link which allows direct digital input from your sacd/dvd-audio player.... usb input for digital input from your computer.....a phono input if you are into vinyl..... a very conservatively-rated amplifier section.... plus a pre-programmed/learning remote that blows away most aftermarket remotes available in ease of use and capabilities.....

i use mine as a pre/pro with outboard amplifiers.... it was the best sounding pre/pro (or receiver with pre-outs) that i could find under $1500.....

it does an outstanding job for movies and compares to high end two channel pre-amps that i have auditioned in my system.....

you can find it online for about $1000......

really the best thing out there in this price range....(in my humble opinion).....