Aragon Amps

JBP

I have heard from many that B&K and Halo amps sound nice with the reference line, just wondering how the Aragon amps compare. Anybody using Aragon with Klipsch reference? Audio Advisor still has some demos from the CES show. Thanks.

I do, and agree... Reference and Heritage sound Fantastic!!

Especially on the Aragon Stage One and 2007 Amp!

Reviews

Aragon Stage One Processor

"Probably the first thing you'll notice about the Aragon Stage One is how unbelievably simple and automatic everything seems to be about its operation."

"Beg, borrow, steal, compromise your principles ... whatever you do, find a way to get these high-end home audio diamonds on your rack."

"Recommended without reservation."

Performance: 10 out of 10

Longevity: 10 out of 10

- Steven Horn, ign.com, November 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It was also clear that the Stage One was operating very close to the preamp ideal: It simply wasn't there."

"The Stage One and the 2007 are representative of most Mondial products I've experienced: top-shelf audio performance, well-thought out design, and undeniable bang for the extra bucks."

- Chris Lewis, Home Theater, August 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Without a doubt this is one of the most striking products available. Aragon has put touches on its processor that sets it apart from other components and just breathes high end in form and function."

"Its performance was very commendable and I didn't feel it slouched in any area."

- Kris Deering, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, May 2003

"The Stage One makes sure that the final sound is exactly what the director intended."

- Audio Ideas Guide, Vol. 21, No. 3

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And on the 2007 Amp!

For the Ultimate Home Theater Experience

Looking for an audiophile-quality seven-channel amp for the ultimate home theater experience? Look to Aragon's meticulously designed 7.1-channel, 200-watt-per-channel power amp.

Aragon power amplifiers have long had an enviable reputation in the world of two-channel audio. The company's multi-channel amps are proving just as popular for their unbeatable combination of powerful, dynamic, high-end performance and an unexpectedly low price. Aragon's Model 2007 7.1-channel THX® Ultra2-Certified amplifier delivers the clean, high power that the fussiest audiophiles demand in a high-end home theater system.

Rather than sweating harder, the 2007 seemed to relish the opportunity to get more channels firing, and even the bombastic theme from Patton, which has done in more than one amp around here, couldnt make the 2007 wince, marvel Chris Lewis in the August 2002 issue of Home Theater magazine. It displays considerable power and plenty of headroom even when hard-pressed, but it remains composed and resists any audible temptation toward fatigue or compression.

The 2007 delivers 200 watts-per-channel into all seven channels at 8 ohms (and 300 watts-per-channel at 4 ohms) for effortless performance from nearly any loudspeaker systems. Its classic minimalist approach plus THX Ultra2 specifications combine to ensure the highest level of premium performance and product reliability.

Design Simplicity Yields Ultra-Clean Sound

Most amplifiers on the market today are overly complex and require rows of integrated circuits for protection circuitry, control loops, and signal buffering. But this complexity has a negative impact on sound reproduction. The 2007 is a seven-channel amplifier that achieves its high output using the fewest active components possible for a more dynamic, more powerful and more detailed performance. The minimalist, uncluttered approach of Aragon's design results not only in better sound, but also boasts an extremely high level of reliability.

Huge Power on Demand with SmartPower

When it comes to music systems, most high-end two-channel amplifiers typically employ dual mono power supply configurations. In other words, each channel operates as its own entity and only has as much output available as its power supply can provide. (The demands of stereo music are such that you would rarely find one channel needing much more output than the other.) But the power supply requirements for a five-channel digital soundtrack are quite different. The dynamics can demand huge amounts of power from different channels at different times.

One way to provide for that would be to use multiple large power supplies, but that results in additional cost, size, and weight. The 2007 features a single power supply design that Aragon calls "SmartPower". In this configuration, a channel could provide substantially more than its rated output for short periods of time by getting more energy from the power supply while the other channels aren't demanding as much. SmartPower enables the amplifier to perform at optimal levels in high-end two-channel audio environments as well as in the most demanding home theater applications.

Premium Finishing Touches

The Aragon 2007 features gold-plated RCA phono jack inputs and insulated five-way binding post outputs for each channel. The clean and contemporary good looks are achieved through the inclusion of a machined aluminum front panel with an engraved Aragon logo and elegant blue LED lighting that perfectly complements the finish. An included dimmer switch allows you to choose full or half brightness, as well as allowing you to completely turn off the LED lighting.

Rather than sweating harder, the 2007 seemed to relish the opportunity to get more channels firing, and even the bombastic theme from Patton, which has done in more than one amp around here, couldnt make the 2007 wince.

It displays considerable power and plenty of headroom even when hard-pressed, but it remains composed and resists any audible temptation toward fatigue or compression.

The Stage One and the 2007 are representative of most Mondial products Ive experienced: top-shelf audio performance, well-thought out design, and undeniable bang for the extra bucks.

- Chris Lewis, Home Theater, August 2002

"For a final two-channel test, I put in Neil Young Unplugged. During 'Harvest Moon,' I noticed again the huge stage that was present in my room. I was also impressed with the 2007s ability to maintain separation between all of the instruments and most notably the chorus vocals. The 2007 performed this way, all the way up to very loud listening levels."

"During the biker bar scene, Schwarzeneggers Terminator character is trying to score a biker outfit. In the process of taking what he needs, he throws one of the bikers onto a scalding hot griddle in the kitchen of the bar. I have heard all but the best systems get harsh and irritating during this scene. The 2007 had the headroom to handle all of the sound effects without negatively affecting the clarity of the voices or the sizzling sound of skin on the griddle."

"The 2007 is able to create a wonderful two-channel music soundstage for any style of music, and has the power to handle the huge dynamic range of todays movie soundtracks. If you are planning a high-end home theater, you should strongly consider the Stage One / 2007 combo with seven speakers. If you are a movie lover wondering if you would ever use what a system like this can do, think no further. Once you install a theater of this quality in your house, you will never look back and will likely wonder how you lived without it."

"The Aragon 2007 amplifier is proof that the Klipsch and Mondial are still on track with their goal to offer high-end performance at a moderate price. With this amplifier, you wont have to worry about having enough power to drive your speakers."

- Ed Masterson, Audiorevolution.com, December 2002

(All info copied and pasted from the Audio Advisor website.) www.audioadvisor.com If you look at this stuff list and what they are offering it for. This is a hell of a bargain!!

Aragon is a bit higher on the price scale, but have had an excellent reputation for building great gear for quite some time. Some trepidation has occured when Klipsch took them over, and only time will tell how the quality will be affected.

The MSRP are as follows (I think)

Stage One - $4000

2005 - $2500

2007 - $3000

3005 - $3500

-Dave

Hey

I just went to my Klipsch dealer last week , he gave me a demonstration on Aragon amps , It was hooked up to 4 rf-7s 1 rc-7 and a rsw-15 . He put on the Star wars movie, turned it up to 1 third , WOW , i swear my heart changed its beat , my clothes were vibrating , The sound was clean and clear . Way too much for me , but it was a cool expirence ,I am not a real indicator for you because i dont have the money or need to get that loud , if i need that i just halfto go to my brothers house , he is the stereo nut in my family ( All klipsch speakers , old and new ), but i bet some others on this site are full of info.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the silver either but at that price I guess I could learn to live with it. I was planning on getting a B&K 200.3 but for an additional $300 I could get an Aragon 200.7.

IndyKlipschFan,

Thanks for the info. I'm just looking at the amps, will run out of money if I try to get a Stage One also.

Are you able to dim or turn off the accent light on front of the Aragon components?

I guess if Aragon matches well with Heritage it will definentley sound great with Reference?

The only problem I'm facing is I will not be able to get the amp hooked-up and tested for another couple of months. I just don't know if it would be wise to purchase a demo without being able to make sure it's working properly. I know if I wait, they will be sold. Decisions, decisions... Is there anyway to test an amp without having it connected to speakers?

Are you able to dim or turn off the accent light on front of the Aragon components?

Yes to both... You can dim or turn it off entirely.

=========================================================

I guess if Aragon matches well with Heritage it will definentley sound great with Reference?

Yes it does

=========================================================

The only problem I'm facing is I will not be able to get the amp hooked-up and tested for another couple of months. I just don't know if it would be wise to purchase a demo without being able to make sure it's working properly. I know if I wait, they will be sold. Decisions, decisions... Is there anyway to test an amp without having it connected to speakers?

Test it in their store...?? Then box up and keep for later?

============================================================

I would suggest the Stage one...if money is a question and tight..use the amps you have now or go pro amps like QSC or something. (klipsch uses these I think to test gear in the lab so they must be pretty good also!!) Good luck!

I'm really only interested in getting an amp right now, I just recently purchased an Elite receiver. With that being said, would you still advise getting an Aragon amp without getting the Stage One?

I would be buying a demo from audioadvisor.com so it would be an online purchase, no way to test it out in their store. I guess I could maybe take it to a local retailer and see if they would let me plug it in. Thanks.

At some point you need to just trust your gut. Listen, learn, and feel what is important to you too. Some people need fast cars, some drive slow ones, some drive SUV's never to see the rough roads they were created for. Some are built to be environment friendly, and some drive trucks, because they are the cheapest. The truth is, most of the time they all have 4 wheels get us to where we need to go at or above the posted speed.

How you get anyplace or anything in life is up to you.

Hi. I am new to this forum. I own B&W 802 speakers and am looking to getting a home theatre setup. I have checked out so many receivers, pre/pos, amps and universal DVD players, that I am getting dizzy and more confused than ever. Do you think the Aragon Stage One and 3005 would do well with the 802s? I can't seem to find any dealer so far here in Manhattan who carries both Aragon and B&W so I am unable to hear how they work together. Any info you can give to me would be appreciated. Thanks.

JesseRJ

I can't tell you how they would sound together but if you do decide to get Aragon componets you should check out www.audioadvisor.com

Last time I checked they still had a Stage One and several different amps that are demos from the CES show and are marked down considerably.