Still worth getting an HK 7200 or stick with my Yamaha rxv1400

DirtRider

I have an option to get a new $2000 retail Harman Kardon avr7200 for about $850 and was wondering if anyone was using this receiver and how they liked it. Would you opt for this 7200 at the big discount or get my initial plan of the yamaha rx-v1400? From what I understand the yamaha has the component upgrade of all signals and the ypao going for it and that is a big advantage. The HK also doesn't come with PLIIx but has Logic 7 of which I am kind of confused about. What would the HK acutally buy me? I just haven't been able to find a PLIIx model yet for under $600 shipped so I haven't purchased one yet. Maybe that was a good thing. I look forward to your replies.

I have Klipsch rp-3 mains, rc-3 center, rs-35 surrounds, and another pair of rs-3 surrounds coming soon.

I'm running a H/K 7200. It's a very nice unit. Have had no problems, has a very good sound. Way more than enough power. From all the comments I've seen on logic7, people really seem to like it a lot.

I can't speak about the Yammy because I don't know anything about it. Just wanted to give a thumbs up on the HK.

----------------

On 3/15/2004 10:47:46 AM DirtRider wrote:

Would you opt for this 7200 at the big discount or get my initial plan of the yamaha rx-v1400? . . .

What would the HK acutally buy me?

----------------

7200. What would it buy you? Much better, warmer sound with Klipschs. Especially since you own three or thirty-five series Reference. My Yamaha RXV-1300 was harsh at higher volumes with reference three/35 series so I moved it upstairs with non-Klipsch speakers. I recently sold my Harmon Kardon AVR 525 and bought a 7200, the lowered price was too tempting.

The RXV-1400 does have more "features." Depends on where your preference lies. Some Yamaha/Klipsch owners really like the match up and maybe the newer 1400 would not be as harsh or overly bright as my 1300. If you are leaning towards the Yamaha at all, make sure you demo that model somewhere with thirty-five reference series (if you can) to see how you like the sound. I think Yamaha makes some fine receivers otherwise I would not have kept my 1300. Sound-wise, however, it is hard to beat the Harman Kardon/Klipsch match up (for receivers that is).

-------------------

Samsung TXN3245FP, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Denon DVD-2900, RB75(ordered), RC7(ordered), RF3II, RC3II, SVS PB2-ISD10.gif, SVS 20-39PCi

Yamaha RX-V1300, Onkyo SKS-HT500, Axiom QS-8, HSU VTF-2

----------------

On 3/15/2004 11:20:10 AM m00n wrote:

I'm running a H/K 7200. It's a very nice unit. Have had no problems, has a very good sound. Way more than enough power. From all the comments I've seen on logic7, people really seem to like it a lot.

I can't speak about the Yammy because I don't know anything about it. Just wanted to give a thumbs up on the HK.

----------------

Can you explain the logic 7 further. I know it is proprietary. All channels aren't discrete though right?

The PLIIx is discrete for all 7 channels right? From what I understand this just upgrades stereo or 5 channel dolby digital. Can PLIIx work with a DTS track or does that use some other technology to upgrade DTS to 7 channels?

Dirt,

if you don't get a satisfactory reply on your logic 7 question, I would suggest you go to somewhere like www.avsforum.com or www.hometheaterforum.com. reason I suggest this is because those places have a lager audience than the klipsch forum.

Harman Kardon might even have some docs on their website if you look. Not sure if they do, but they may.

Good luck on your decision. 1.gif

I had the 2400 but returned it for the onkyo. To my ears it was a clean sounding amp just better sounding. like cjgeraci said if sound is what you are after the HK is better than the Yamaha.

If you can go listen to them both don't pay too much attention to the model numbers because the Yamaha has a specific sound and so does the HK the more you pay the better quality and the more refined it will be. But it will retain the same sound.

As a note: I had the RXV-1000 and then I thought the 2400 would be a step up but when I did a side by side it sounded the same ( Just YPAO is very nice but if you take the time you can get the same setup with out it. )

IMO HK is a good choice

9.gif

I had an older generation Yamaha DSPA 3090 which i loved but i upgraded about 6 months ago to the 7200 and its like night and day. So much more bottom end and enveloping sound. The auto surround setup on the yamaha is an enticing feature but There is no way i would buy the 1400 over the 7200 to get better sound then the 786 that one call sells the 7200 for you have to pay twice as much or more. IMO the 7200 stacks up with the Pioneer elite 49tx/txi and the Denon 5803 which cost 3-5 times as much

Hope this helps

I guess I'm the odd man out,I just had the 7200 for a week.I tried to live with it because of its heft and inner beauty,it looked killer inside.The sound however w/my 7's was really bad for music.I didn't know how bad until I picked up the Rotel 1068.The difference was like night and day.The 7200 had lots of power but the pre/pro part was weak and sounded cogested,brash,w/cymbals out of control.The 7200 had me thinking maybe my 7's were the problem,until the Rotel.

The rotel brought everything together and the highs became sooo smooth,cymbals so real and just gave the 7's total authority,endless volume.

As you can tell I'm really happy w/the 1068,but would rather have been happy for 1/2 price,didn't happen for me.Its always possible this also was a bad unit but it sounded "ok" on a few disc.

I'll say again that music was the problem,HT was about as good as my old Denon,but w/more power.I went through two units,one DOA and one wounded,cost me $110.00 to be rid of it,well worth it too,imho.

Last thing is I don't want the 7200 owners pi$$ed at me,I'm not sayin yours is bad,only mine.

----------------

On 3/16/2004 11:48:44 PM Fish wrote:

I guess I'm the odd man out,I just had the 7200 for a week.I tried to live with it because of its heft and inner beauty,it looked killer inside.The sound however w/my 7's was really bad for music.

Last thing is I don't want the 7200 owners pi$$ed at me,I'm not sayin yours is bad,only mine.

----------------

We would never get pi$$ed off at you .... Not our style.

I guess some 7200 owners will just end up confused because we are just not hearing what you heard. In fact, in my system, the 7200's strength is music, not H/T. Picked up my RC7 yesterday and the sound is clean, clear, and warm at high volumes with my 7200, with everything from Van Halen I to the Miles Davis SACD I am currently listening to this morning while doing work. Just out of curiousity, was your 7200 bad for certain types of music (vs. others) or just all-around bad?

---------------------------

Samsung TXN3245FP, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Denon DVD-2900

RB75s (ordered), RC7, RFIIs, RC3II, SVS PB2-ISD, SVS 20-39PCi

Yamaha RX-V1300, Onkyo SKS-HT500, Axiom QS-8, HSU VTF-2

Carl,if yours sounds good on 7's I must have got two bad units,the way it sounded I'm sure you would also hear.The music with slow blues or James Taylor was ok,the more complex the music the worse it sounded and forget hard rock.