OT-Ordering my new Mac G5 Thursday!

synthfreek

I've been counting down the days 'til I buy my new Mac for my recording studio. I've gutted my rack-mount pc and sold what I could. I've already bought my software I'll be running for sequencing and audio(Logic Audio). I'm also buying a MOTU 896HD 24/192 audio interface and a midi interface on Thursday. $5000 total!!! And that's with a university faculty discount straight from Apple. No new stereo stuff for quite a while. My computer will be a dual 2.0 ghz with 1gb ram 2 x 250 gb hard-drives. I can't wait to get started recording again.

I love my Rega. It's a very setup and never worry about it turntable. I had it fitted with a Super Elys cart when I got it about 3 years ago and have never had to mess with it since. I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon(although a new cartridge will need to be purchased soon) as I'm satisfied with my current setup. I'd try to get a newer model with the newer model motor. I think some of the early models didn't even have the RB-300 arm so make sure it at least has that. For under $400 you really can't beat it. The only drawback is having to lift the glass platter off to change the speed. I also have regular dj style decks to mix with.

----------------

On 3/15/2004 10:13:07 PM synthfreek wrote:

I've been counting down the days 'til I buy my new Mac for my recording studio. // My computer will be a dual 2.0 ghz with 1gb ram 2 x 250 gb hard-drives. I can't wait to get started recording again.

----------------

I'm kinda in the same boat you are. While I am stuck here in Asia, I'm saving money to build a video/music/post production studio with the G5 as the centerpiece. Just a recommendation, but if you can wait a tad bit longer (any day now actually) the G5s will get a boost in their video card performance - from 128 to 256 (
ATI has announced a 256MB Special Edition of the Radeon 9800 Pro for the Mac)
. Apple is making the minor changes to their flagship design to maintain pace with the latest PC creation - the Dual Opteron. Also, if you can find space to squeeze out another 200 dollars and get an additional gig of ram that would turn your killer configuration into an absolute monster. Good Luck!

I like your choice in the MOTU 896HD 24/192 audio and midi interface. For my audio studio set-up I'm going with a Pro-Tools HD system (at least in my dreams that is).
2.gif

pt.jpg

wow, i have practically the same setup...the only difference is I only have the one processor and im using the Motu 828mkII with CuBase Sx. our studio is more video oriented so we spent extra money on a ton of software, totaling to about $5000 as well.

you are going to be a very happy camper, the G5 is oh so smooth and the Motu's sound incredible awesome insanely good 2.gif we were going to get the 896, but we got an awesome deal of $300 on the 828mkII and using the 2 extra mic inputs from an aux send gives us 10 track recording instead of 8 (which comes in handy very fast).

You'll have to let us all know what you think of the software you chose to use and what programs you use to burn your masters and all that.

Damn I'm jealous! I'm stuck here with an eMac 700 and a almost maxed out 9600 G4/450. I want a new G5 "some kinda bad" as Jerry Clower would say. But I'm not complaining I can still get more work done on either one of these than I can ever get done on my sons AMD 2800. They really wanted it bad for games but my 15 year old says if he wins the High School Ag Business Management Competition in Louisville this fall he's buying a new G5. I sense he's not too happy with Windows after all. (I'm gonna brag on him a little, he had the highest score in the state competition in Raleigh last week.) Why does it seem like you can get almost everything done easier and faster on a Mac? Is it the quality of the apps or is it just that much easier to navigate through everything? I find it hard to find anything in XP. Why does it have to ask you so many stupid questions, do you want to do this, do you want to do that. I guess I'm just a Mac person at heart.

Grateful

I loved my 450 G4 for a while now but it's definitely time for an upgrade. Then I'll either put my G4 next to my 1984 Mac with its little integrated screen and start blasting away with my new G5.

After all this time, I'm still torn on OS X though. Best thing about my G4 is that it still boots OS 9.X, where I still spend most of my time. Cant's say that for the G5 though. Oh well. Change is inevitable.

I find it hard to find anything in XP

I had the same problem when I started using a mac. The entire file system and settings structure is way different.

there are two reasons that mac's seem to be better:

1) every piece of software is supported by apple itself. This means that every piece of software for the Mac is much more compatible and doesn't conflict with other software/hardware. The main reason for frustration in the pc world is the constant barrage of conflicting resources.

2) OS X is based off linux which makes it a much more stable and streamlined operating system.

anyways, both have their plusses and minuses...if i had to choose between one or the other, i'd stick with the pc but that's prob cuz i was raised that way and i know how to make them work. there is a smoothness though about the mac that i do really like in the studio.