SVS PB2 Plus?

Kyler Cavers

Well I had the chance to pickup my RSW-12 this week but I stopped in my tracks. I started thinking to myself about SVS and how alot of people on this forum really like them. I know the RSW-12 has some good output but struggles under 30 hz or so, so I figured I'd check out SVS. The first one that I checked out ended up being the one I wanted, the PB2 Plus; so Im 98% sure Im going to go with this one from the bit I've read. Can anyone here tell me something the RSW-12 might have over it? Or just something in general I should know? How do these two compare? Thanks

Literally, I can't think of anything the RSW could possibly have over it...unless you need it to asthetically match the wood grain in the rest of your system. I love Klipsch (the rest of my entire system is Klipsch) but the PB2+ is 10 times the sub the RSW is. Get ready to shake the foundation of your house. 5.gif

Ps. 29 Hz and under is where the fun just starts!3.gif

----------------

On 3/16/2004 1:12:51 AM Kyler Cavers wrote:

Can anyone here tell me something the RSW-12 might have over it? Or just something in general I should know? How do these two compare? Thanks

----------------

I agree that acoustically, the PB2-Plus is superior to a pair of RSW12's, offering greater SPL with more ease. They are designed to meet very different needs... so the RSW does have certain advantages:

RSW-12 Pros:

- small, compact, discreet

- good WAF with nice wood grain

- slight price advantage for a single unit (?)

PB2 - cons:

- HUGE

- Wood veneer at premium price

The RSW trades performance for size and appearance... but that is always the case with any subwoofer. It's much easier to build a great large sub than a great small one.

Rob

having had both in the HT for a short timeboth are fantastic. Both are winners. At the lower freqs the SVS was easily the winner. Both calibrated to the same level both were keepers. Now if you wanted to shake the hell out of you and others the PB2+ easily has the head room and lower freq abilities to pump out those extra dbs.

With that said and if you are looking at SVS and are interested in a cylinder the new PCUltra without a doubt out performs both (at a calibrated level) hands down. The punch and lower freq performance is awesome. having had a 4db spike at 16hz, yes at 16hz the built in parametric equalizer flattened my bass curves to +/- 2db across the 16 to 100hz spectrum in my most unfriendly acoustically challenged HT.

All and all there isn't a loser in the group discussed. All are great for music and HT. All have excellent to great extention,all are about the same price. If you want a recommendation on which one to buy the answer is yes.

Cosmetically RSW

Output PB2+

Best sound PCUltra (very subjective)

best value for the $ PB2+

Size RSW

How does the Paradigm Servo-15 compare to these two? I don't know how you feel about used stuff Kyler, but there is a Servo 15 in the paper under Miscellaneous Articles (#400). Comes with a crossover for $1000 CAD which sounds like a great deal to me.