Just finished upgrading to an RF-7 based system...WOW!

plissken99

For the last few months I've been buying the Reference series speakers as I could afford them. First the center channel(RC-7), then the surrounds(RS-7s), and finally last week the RF-7s. I got them through Ultimate Electronics, who were nice enough to price match from online stores. My God the sound is so clear, I had no idea. Cars going by in movies, sound just like cars going by on the street outside, doors open in the surrounds, and I'm conviced someone entered the room. Music is so clear I can hear everything going in the recording studio.

Funny thing is, my reciever is a lowly Pioneer D811S(cheapest I could find that does 7.1). During intense audio, it would make my old Pinnacle speakers clip(Lord of the Rings scenes mostly). Now with the Klipsch speakers, not only is that sound smooth, but it's doing something it never did before... During intense audio scenes, the reciever says "Overload" and shuts down(I didn't even know it could do that!). It shut down several times during U-571, which the Klipsch speakers were handling it easily.

So now I guess it's time to upgrade the old reciever(thinking of the Denon 3805). But this thread was just express my awe at these speakers. I've never heard Led Zeppelin as I hear them now!

Klipsch, you rock! :)

----------------

On 3/16/2004 4:59:44 PM plissken99 wrote:

Funny thing is, my reciever is a lowly Pioneer D811S(cheapest I could find that does 7.1). During intense audio, it would make my old Pinnacle speakers clip(Lord of the Rings scenes mostly). Now with the Klipsch speakers, not only is that sound smooth, but it's doing something it never did before... During intense audio scenes, the reciever says "Overload" and shuts down(I didn't even know it could do that!). It shut down several times during U-571, which the Klipsch speakers were handling it easily.

Klipsch, you rock!
:)

----------------

First: Congratulations on your new additions...welcome to the family!...now on to your problem.

Actually it wasn't the Pinnacle speakers doing the clipping, it was the receivers amps. Just not enough power to satisfy the Pins and your craving for SPL. What is happening now, ie: your protection circuit activating, and the amp shutting down could be the result of something a simple as one strand of one wire shorting the adjacent terminal, either on the back of the receiver, or the back of one speaker. I know cause I had that happen to me with my Denon 3801 when I first got my Reference 3s. Took me about a week to track that down, since my eyes are older now and I couldn't see that one strand from more than a foot away!

I do think you need a better receiver, however, to take full advantage of the Ref 7s. The Denon is one good choice, but there are others out there.

Jerry Rappaport

congrats on your speakers!!!!

i agree that the receiver should not be overloading with klipsch speakers.... check all your connections.....

if that doesn't solve the problem.... run the scene again with the rears disconnected..... and then with the center disconnected.....

good luck!

Thanks for the congrats, I really couldn't be happier! When I die, I intend to be buried in these speakers. :)

So it could be a connection somewhere? Could it be a problem with some of th speaker wire itself? So basically I need to get a spot that makes the reciever shut down, and disconnect one speaker at a time, at the back of the reciever?

I'm leaning toward the Denon as I did a comparison between the 3803 and several other amps in the same price range(Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo), and the Denon sounded much better than the others to my ears. I'll of course do another comparison when the 3805 is in stores. Ultimate Electronics says their getting the 3805 tomorrow, so I'll know soon. Unfortunatly their demo room only has RF-5s hooked up, but I figure thats enough to determine which will sound best with my RF-7s.

I thought about going with Synergys, or even RF-3's or -5s, but I knew I wouldn't be able to rest as long as the 7s were out there. I've had a few people over to listen it, and they say they don't hear this level of precision as commercial parties, or even Imax. I can say, these combined with my CRT projector, make HT as enjoyable if not more so than the Imax experience.

Congrats - there's no turning back now.

When you look at new receivers, may want to also check out separates. You can get some decent separates for not-much-more than receiver prices. You have great speakers now, separate will do them justice!

Since you said it first I'll second it,the Denon 3805 was the best I heard w/7's for the $1k zone.I got bored and sold my 3803 and went through the list of avr's,most not too good w/music,imho.The 3805 was the only one that did pretty good w/music.

I think the 3805 has pre-outs, not sure about that. Seperates are most definitly in my future, but it'll be a while. I figure I'll get a really good reciever in the 1k range, and in another 3 years or so upgrade to something at the 5k level(be it seperates or some uber reciever). As there are now a few recievers with 9.1 capabilities, I'll wait and see what developes in the next couple of years or so(10.1 new audio connections etc).

The RF-7s are great speakers, but are not as easy to drive as some folks think. The RF-7s go down to as low as 3 ohms in bass frequencies. The 3 ohm load is very difficult for most receivers. A better receiver will help as will a sub to handle all of the low frequencies.

Bill

The 3805 has just about every input/output you can get,you can adjust the eq 63 to 8k on every ch.Its got a great touch screen remote(lights when you pick it up,goes off when you set it down),heavy duty detachable plug,2 triggers,PLIIx and lots more.

" they don't hear this level of precision as commercial parties, or even Imax"

We don't have Imax here, and it takes a little while for movies to reach Oman. About 3 weeks ago, Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King made it here. In prep, we watched the first two at home on DVD, then went to the theater. GREAT movie, but I'm not kidding, the sound was better at my house! I know I'm not covering a theater sized room, but no question the sound is better at home. Really made me appreciate the Klipsch even more - not to mention my growing DVD collection!

congrats on joining the 'klipsch klub'

it sounds like you are truly infected w/this wonderful 'disease'. you may want to check out the yammy rxv-2400. it is a great receiver and in the price range you mentioned. the harman/kardon 7200 also is worth a listen,while i haven't heard it myself,alot of klipsch owners swear by it.

avman.