Belle Crossover: Original or Modified?

Thanks for your reply Al, and sorry about the poor quality of the photo. I have a shot of the other crossover of the pair but it is also poor quality.

Does anyone know if all the Heritage of this era (1975) used oil-filled caps? Also if anyone on the forum can make the photo pop up automatically that would be great.

Can anyone can spot any changes to the crossover in addition to the caps? Is there still a source for the oval-shaped oil-filled caps that I have seen on other crossovers of this vintage?

Thanks in advance,

triceratops

----------------

On 3/17/2004 10:32:12 AM triceratops wrote:

Is there still a source for the oval-shaped oil-filled caps that I have seen on other crossovers of this vintage?

----------------

GE Industrial Systems make a nice AC General Purpose (not Power Supply/Motor Run types)

metallized polypropylene/dielectric oil cap in an A-style (oval) aluminum case. They range from 1.5 to 8 uF up with a 110VAC rating.

Just happen to have a Newark catalog at arms length.

GE part numbers for the

2 uF is 97F8241S

5uF is 97F8245S

8uF is 97F8248S

3dzapper--thanks for posting the photo.

John--thanks for the parts references.

Bob--thanks for your efforts on making replacement parts available for vintage heritage speakers. I'll drop you an email for more info.

I greatly appreciate all the help!

Best in horns,

triceratops

----------------

On 3/18/2004 1:00:45 AM triceratops wrote:

Bob--thanks for your efforts on making replacement parts available for vintage heritage speakers. I'll drop you an email for more info.

----------------

From the pictures he posted a few months back the caps he uses appear to be the GE caps although I can't tell if they are the general purpose 1.gif caps or the motor run 6.gif caps.

From Newark they range in price from $13-$20, not including shipping.

In the beginning Klipsch used DC bathtubs obtained on the surplus markets.

When stocks of these ran out in the mid 70s metalized polyester film were used.

In the late 70s AC ovals were used.

By the mid 80s polypropylene was in.

Modern AC ovals are polypropylene.

Modern AC ovals do not sound the same as DC bathtubs, its not the paper vs polypropylene issue so much as the lead terminations.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do need to have my HEAD examined, because I went ahead and bought these Belles. Some may remember that I had just sold my cosmetically beautiful, sonically spectacular 1977 Belles to Paul Parrot a couple of months ago.

Not surprisingly, I instantly regretted selling those '77 Belles. I resolved to use Heresys in their place because I still have my 1960 Klipschorns waiting in the wings to go into a new room that is not yet built. Since the Khorns don't yet fit anywhere in the house, they are not even hooked up!

Although I like the Heresys--I couldn't resist the prospect of getting back to something bigger sounding. The newly acquired 1975 Belles barely fit in the living room, and the space is certainly not ideal for them. They sound excellent, although cosmetically they will definitely need some work. There is lots of damaged (and missing) edge veneer on both cabinets. For the guitarists out there, I would compare these Belles to a vintage guitar with no structural cracks but with sections of disintegrated and missing binding. Definitely fixable, but it will take some work.

The members who responded to this thread thought the crossovers were modified with changed caps, and they were right, as usual (see the photo in earlier post). I know that Bob Crites can fix the crossovers, although any further investment in these speakers will have to wait a few months for my wallet to recover.

djk has suggested that oil-filled DC bathtubs is what the original caps would have been. My question is are these exact caps still available anywhere these days? djk--did you receive any of my emails? I sent them via the Forum message forwarding feature, which I know doesn't always work. Please drop me a note if you can--my new email is thepieboy@comcast.net

If anyone else has any other suggestions, ideas, etc I'd love to hear them. I'm also taking suggestions for a good psychoanalyst in Oregon for Klipschomaniacs!

Best in horns,

triceratops