Speaker wire and bi wirualable speakers

Audio Flynn

For the newer people who look at Sereophile recommendations and shutter and you folks with a small comfort zone.

Spending 10-15 % of total system cost on decent wire (patchcord and speaker ) is not unreasonable.

+++++++++++

Personal observation:

1. RB -5 with AQ Type 6 + biwire had more low bass extension and more dined bass in the 80-300 hz range than stranded non biwire single cable.

2. Chorus II with AQ Type 4 sounded less congested and shrill than stranded wire.

If you have never spent $ 40 on a pair of low end solid core speaker wire, you miss a good "tweak" to observe.

To spend $ 100-150 on a pair of speaker wire is a journey of discovery if you have $ 3000 or more in your system.

This topic has been beat to death over the last 10 years. In every controlled test that I have seen reported, participants failed to be able to detect differences between speaker wires. There still is no real evidence.

There is so much profit in the cable business, that it pays bigtime to claim to hear a difference.

Many folks claim to 'hear' the difference, but when put to a blind test, they cannot hear the difference.

This is my last post on this topic.

"In every controlled test that I have seen reported"

Could you send me the report you wrote?

+++++++++++++

Double blind has so may variables; it is difficult to create a fast comparrisons.

Comparrisons take days at least.

+++++++++++++++

An explorer in audio needs to spend the money to define what he/she can hear.

"CUT"

POINT:

Spending $ 200-400 on exploring speaker wire and patchcords is certainly less in todays dollars than Lewis and Clark spent in defining west of the Mississippi.

It is better buying wire than buying mega buck ML or some other speaker to realize you wasted a couple of thousand dollars in the experiment.

+++++++++++

Or Sensible Sound saying all CD players sound alike.

===========

That undefined assumption is clueless.

I spent about a hundred dollars on 18Ga and 14Ga silver plated OFC Mil-Spec Teflon wire, It took me a day to twist it properly, put on a good set of terminals and silver solder them. I put the wires from the Scott 299C to the Khorns and in five minutes decided that I like the sound of the 14Ga RCA OFC Home Depot wire better!6.gif

Now I have about 200 feet of amp hook-up wire.15.gif

I'm glad I didn't spend six hundred or more dollars on those wires I couldn't sleep at night. More money does not always equal better sound but does always equal more money.

Rick

ZAP;

Was this an all stranded comparrison?

My assertion was :

1. solid versus stranded ( silver i cannot understand)

2. Do not spend allot of money

Diffewrences exist for me in cable.

If they do not exist for you ; you have...

1. issues elsewere in the system.

2. poor hearing

3. perfect cable

years ago, I fell for the "wire makes a big difference" and I shelled out 300 bucks for a 15ft pair of Audioquest Indigo speaker wire..with a 30 day guarantee of course..and I hooked it up, and immediately heard a clarity improvement I hadn't expected. Of course, I thought maybe I had "expected" a change so my brain made it so. Being somewhat skeptical ( I've told this story before) I brought my "can't tell the difference in equipment changes" better half, out to the music room. All I did was tell her to listen, with no tip-off. After listening to a few songs that she was very familiar with, like Santana, Pink Floyd, and such she asked what I did, as it seemed so much "cleaner" now. Although I didn't trust what I was hearing, I did trust what changes she perceived. Since then, I have tried a few other cable changes and guess what..they didn' t work for me..still like the Audioquest over yet MORE expensive cables!

Yet I have a friend, expert electronics tech, over 50 years in the business, that says cable differences are bunk..so go figure.

My point is..if YOU can hear it, get after it. If you can't, good for you! Less money spent! Make yourself happy..when you're happy with your system, that's all that matters!

PS-get a money back guarantee on the cables, or a trial period. If you don't hear the diff, do not waste the money. If you do, like I did, don't look back!

Regards,

Steve

I have heard a difference with interconnects that quite honestly surprised me. I havent done a lot of critical listening with different speaker wires but it wouldnt surprise me if it made a bit of a difference. I know most of you have probably read Roger Russells great web site but in case you havent heres his take on speaker wire

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm#thetruth

For those of you unfamiliar, Roger Russell was a speaker designer for Mcintosh

Cables:

You believe or you dont believe and once you have made up your mind that's it and no evidence will convince you otherwise.

Why we bother continuing to discuss it is something of a mystery.

Nay sayers will tell you that no double blind test has ever shown a measurable / observable difference that can be proved.

Believers will recount endless stories of the differences it has made to their systems, me amongst them.

But then again I beleive black CD's sound better than silver ones....