good jazz

wheelman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're up late Allan. Is Joey DeFrancesco in a league with Jimmy Smith or Baby Face?

whadyasay, I listened to a couple hours of Clifford Brown eariler tonight. With Max Roach, Sarah Vaughn and Helen Merrill. He's good!

Outside of classic veterans like Jimmy Smith and Jimmy McGriff, yeah, I'd say....not that Joey's a wet-behind-the-ears newcomer either, but he's more contemporary. Winning the 2003 Downbeat Critics Poll for Jazz Organists doesn't hurt, either.

Yes, Boomac, Brownie's playing with Sarah Vaughan is exemplary. His solos on "April In Paris" and "September Song" floor me every time I listen to them.

What are y'all doing awake at this hour?! :)

I've heard Joey live about a dozen times. He learned to play from his daddy, a fine organist in his own right and is HEAVILY influenced by Jimmy Smith (as is anyone who has sat at the B3 since 1955). Joey's greatest contribution to the music is that he inspired a lot of organist to RETURN to the B3 after a decade or more in the synth wilderness--guys like Charles Earland, Big John Patton, Reuben Wilson, Don Patterson, Lonnie Smith, etc. A lot of these guys are gone now, but at the end they had dusted off the B3 and I think that De Francesco should get a big chunk of the credit for the B3 revival in the early 1990's.

But as long as Jimmy Smith is alive he will continue to be THE premier jazz organist. Period.

The most amazing organist I have ever heard other than Jimmy Smith is Rhoda Scott.

Can't argue with that. But Joey definitely brought it back. Heck, it was Smith's playing that influenced Albert Collins' unorthodox style of blues guitar. Jimmy McGriff's "(If You're Ready) C'mon Let's Go" was the first Hammond Jazz/Funk that I can remember. A friend of my Dad's played it at the house when I was eight, and I thought it was Ray Charles for a while....so I used to put on a pair of sunglasses and air-play at the piano while the album was blasting away.

whadyasay said: "What are y'all doing awake at this hour?!"

I just finished writing a paper for my HS senior who has a bad case of senioritis. I sware, I've done more and better work for my kids than I ever did for myself. My old english teacher would roll over in his grave if he knew I could actually write a serious paper.

No fair, Boomac. Kids gotta do their own thing. Senioritis my @$$!

I used to run an open-mic jam in CT for a few years. We had some great players who had been playing the scene for 20 years. The guy who owned the club where we played was also the keyboardist, so we always had a classic two-tier B3 with two gigantic Leslies on stage. It was great...it freed me up to concentrate more on my singing, because I'd rather hear the B3 than my guitar. It just added this great sense of depth and richness to everything, as you can imagine. The keyboardist was phenomenal and could make that B3 fit into just about any song, and if not, he had his Korg right to the side of it, only set on piano. We had a great band, our bassist used to play with Albert Collins and currently does gigs with Melvin Sparks. When you get seasoned pros like that, you don't have to try that hard to sound good. Just let the music take over.

Hey, shouldn't this be in the Movies/Music section?

Mario Bauza was a talented trumpeter who played Latin Jazz, and had his own big band. You may want to check out his LP titled "The Tanga Suite". I would start with my local Library to see if it's available.

Mario%20Bauza.jpg

Next give Willie Bobo a listen. He was a well respected Latin-Jazz percussionist who was known to have great sidemen on his recordings. His release titled "BoBo's Beat" is a favorite of mine, it has Clark Terry on Trumpet and Joe Farrell on Tenor Sax.

Willie%20Bobo.jpg

The kid did great first semester and he's been accepted at several colleges. I don't make a habit of it but once in a great while I help out. Hey, he listenes to jazz and keeps the number of new LPs from his mama. He's been known to intercept UPS or the mail lady on many occasions. He really digs Herbie Hancock and his favorite tune is Cantaloupe Island. We have it on DVD, The Evening with Blue Note deal, and I have to agree, it's a great date. Freddie Hubbard is way too cool. We've been looking for a good copy of Empyrean Isles. Too bad the LP is missing Joe Henderson. He was great on the DVD.

Just took the trash out. It's about 28 degrees, foggy and icy as heck. Kind a spooky out here in the country at times.

Boomac,

You just reminded me of a wiley old English teacher I used to have. I remember for one essay (The Football match) he had written at the bottom:

Max Goodman : B-

Mrs. Goodman : A-

The funny thing is my mother was furious. "A Minus!! The cheek!!"

I think it was the phrase "The Esprit De Corps of the crowd..." that gave us away - I was 9 years old.

Freddie Hubbard. Open Sesame is one of the greatest debut LPs of all time. Freddie and Tina Brooks meshed so well it's unimaginable that they recorded only two albums together--this one and Brooks' "True Blue."

f34356szrq8.jpg

Hubbard went on to record a string of LPs on Blue Note in the early to mid 1960's that are ALL worth seeking out. He also appeared on an AMAZING amount of great LPs as a sideman. He was a memeber of the Jazz Messengers in the very early 1960's and at the same time was involved in the revolutionary Ornette Coleman session that became "Free Jazz" on Altantic and also participated in more than a few of John Coltrane sessions including Africa/Brass and Ascension.

Hubbard first date as a leader where he starts to break away from the "Lee Morgan" role was Breaking Point.

f61080wqal4.jpg

This is a fascinating session as Hubbard really walks a line between advanced hard bop and the "new thing." Excellent ensemble playing from a TIGHT band.

The funk/jazz/fusion trend in the early 70's had a big influence on Hubbard--maybe he saw the cash Miles was rakeing in, but I think he really had a feel for it. He recorded my favorite LP in this genre on CTI records:

f33128op4o1.jpg

Hobbard's career went into a tailspin in the mid to late 1970's. He recorded often and the albums were usually TERRIBLE. But then, out of nowhere he released this:

d380808py7w.jpg

I was lucky enough to catch this group a couple of time that week back in 1981 and they were AWESOME. Henderson and Hubbard and Hutcherson all on that tiny Keystone Korner stage togther and I was sitting ten feet away. . .

Freddie Hubbard hasn't made a good record since this one. And he really hasn't been able to play at all the last several years--his lip is gone. Too bad--he is one of the best EVER.

Great write-up on Freddie Hubbard Allan. I really dig "Open Sesame" and "True Blue". Although I've only had both LPs for a couple months, I've listened to each several times. I also have the CD "Goin' Up" with Mobley, McCoy, Chambers and PJ Jones and that's great stuff as well. When you saw Freddie, was he decked out in that tight double breasted suit? I've said it before, Freddie is too cool!

On 03/19/04 MaxG said:

"You just reminded me of a wiley old English teacher I used to have. I remember for one essay (The Football match) he had written at the bottom:

Max Goodman : B-

Mrs. Goodman : A-

The funny thing is my mother was furious. "A Minus!! The cheek!!"

Great story Max. I had a good long laugh. My advantage,(I guess)is that I still have the ability to think like an 18 year old. At least that's what the kids mother says!

• 1 year later...

I thought I would bring this back up. Seeing how my new nad receiver sounds so good for jazz again. It's sounds so good again. There for awhile It just wasnt' enjoyable with certain receivers I owned. But I am open to the sax scene now also. Really anything, but I still enjoy more instrumental stuff rather than the singing. I seen this one Kat on a Gov't Mule show that was just great. Karl Denson I do believe. I really love hollow body electric jazz also. It's been over a year since I posted this.

The King? I dunno. Maybe Lonne Smith, but I wouldn't go out on a limb.

The Queen. NO QUESTION!! RHODA SCOTT!! She is without a doubt a true virtuoso--the most gifted B3 player I have ever heard perform--as far as TECHNIQUE goes. And she's a helluva jazz player too . . .

Rhoda Scott-06-.jpg