• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/18/2004 6:00:19 PM 3dzapper wrote:

If we have guts the coming oil shortage will not be catastrophic:

Rick
----------------

Cost per barrel?

I think we will be looking to Russia and other countries for oil in the future. We are good pals with Russia (better than the Middle East at least...), and that is one of the most mineral rich areas of the world. NA and European countries have been spending billions in exploration in Russia, and I am sure it is for a good reason.

----------------

On 3/18/2004 6:00:19 PM 3dzapper wrote:

If we have guts the coming oil shortage will not be catastrophic:

Rick

----------------

Wait a minute 3d. Dont you mean if we have the BUCKs the coming OPEC manipulated oil shortage wont be catastrophic? 7.gif

They OPEC and choose whatever price they want US to pay.

Why, m00n, do you have something against Klipsch Loudspeakers, all the music you listen to, and screen goo too? A hundred years ago your programming skills might have gotten you a brick layer's job... providing you would promise not to fall off the ladder! It would be a Dark Form with no m00n at all... -HornEd

----------------

On 3/18/2004 6:31:36 PM m00n wrote:

It would have been nice to live here about 100 years ago.
----------------

I just want to design my own world:

-Scientific-bases society (not moral/religious on everything)

-Japanese and 1960's car cultures

-Personal accountability (no more suing McDonald's for whatever)

-No tolerance for most crimes (car theft, unjustified homicide, etc.)

-Klipschorns in every corner and SET amps on every component rack

You get the idea - everyone has their own personal idea for their utopia.

"Cost per barrel?

I think we will be looking to Russia and other countries for oil in the future. We are good pals with Russia (better than the Middle East at least...), and that is one of the most mineral rich areas of the world. NA and European countries have been spending billions in exploration in Russia, and I am sure it is for a good reason."

Ken, The original article I read about this a year or so ago in "Discover Magazine" stated that the cost would be the equivilant of about $25/Bbl of crude. In otherwords in a world of $30+/Bbl of crude quite profitable.

If the major players in the oil business got their heads out of the sand and invested in this technology the US could be energy self-sufficient in a decade. But, They own the stuff in the ground. Imagine if you owned 10,000 wells producing crude at a rate of 10Bbls/day and a retrieval cost of $15/Bbl. If I were making a million a day I wouldn't be concerned either.

Rick

----------------

On 3/18/2004 6:02:46 PM MichaelShaffer wrote:

Bull****.. we have plenty of oil for at least a few hundred more years and by then we'll have other sources of energy. Looks like they're just trying to sell books

----------------

Did you read it?

It's not about having oil. It's about having cheap oil.

When the oil prices start rising dramatically because what oil reserves are left are extremely difficult and expensive to extract, it doesn't matter how much is there, it matters how much you're willing to pay for

- a gallon of gas

- the plastic bag you put your garbage in

- the food you eat (expensive diesel fuel = expensive crop harvesting and expensive chemical fertilizer)

I came to a conclusion after a great deal of thought today.

We may not be able to do anything about the oil issue itself, but we can do something to ensure our continued enjoyment of our Klipsch...

Install solar in your house. Doesn't matter if it's expensive. Hell, if you live in Cali, you get big time kickbacks from the state government for doing it. Invest in tankless hot water, high-efficiency appliances, whatever you gotta do to become electrically self-sufficient. If you're not on the grid, when the lights go out, yours are still on.

Say what you want about the article - but the fact remains that energy is getting progressively more expensive. Take advantage of what's free while you can. If the article proves true, it'll be damned near impossible to buy solar panels et al when oil starts getting really obscene.

Oh - and hydrogen power? Wishful thinking, my friend. It requires more energy to produce hydrogen cells than they actually generate. Not exactly what I'd call smart money.

Oh - and hydrogen power? Wishful thinking, my friend. It requires more energy to produce hydrogen cells than they actually generate. Not exactly what I'd call smart money.

----------------

Griff : Hydrogen power is all about emissions not efficency .

You'd be wiser to jump on this band wagon if you want any hope of haveing grandchildren to enjoy. I'm not a tree hugger but we " are " choking this planet to death with oxides of every discription.

LOL!

What we need right now are answers to the impending oil shortage.

Without oil, most of the computer I'm using to communicate with you would not exist. Neither would the wires that transmit the signal out from my house to the street to the server, etc.

Petroleum-based polymers are an integral part of our lives. Take them away and you've got all kinds of resources suddenly in intense demand, and short supply.

----------------

On 3/18/2004 10:20:53 PM skeptic wrote:

" a gallon of gas"

I still pay less for a gallon of gas than a gallon of soda.

I'm not worried yet.

----------------

But when the gallon of soda doubles in price along with the gas (because those plastic bottles are made from petrol) will you worry?

----------------

On 3/18/2004 10:16:33 PM Griffinator wrote:

LOL!

What we need right now are answers to the impending oil shortage.

Without oil, most of the computer I'm using to communicate with you would not exist. Neither would the wires that transmit the signal out from my house to the street to the server, etc.

Petroleum-based polymers are an integral part of our lives. Take them away and you've got all kinds of resources suddenly in intense demand, and short supply.

----------------

You'll be long gone from this world long before you'll need to start worring about this stuff.

60% of plactics are recylible , except the thermosets..

What " WIRES " go to the street from your computer ? Don't tell me your not on fiber-optic cable yet ! Where do you live , " Bedrock " ?

PS : I've been a goverment enviromental board member for 15 years now , oil is the least of your worries , believe me.