Yes another cable question

Bruinsrme

Look at bluejean cable, rhino cable, better cables (more expensive), and the revelation cables sold at av123.com.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=cables&brand=27

Radio Shack has some nice new cables at different price points if you want to shop at a store. I bought some of their best cables because they seemed to be in the class of those above and I was in a hurry and the Shack is near my house.

These internet direct cables should give you better value than monster and not cost kilobucks like the cables you read about in TAS.

B... I know this does you no good considering you and I just chatted about this but thought I would throw it out here anyway for everyone else.

Some audio stores will custom make them. I had mine specially made. They are 30 feet long. Cost me some $90.00

The guys over at HT Spot speak highly of Better Cables Silver Serpents (I think they're around $80-90\set)... I have no firsthand experience with them, myself, but these guys really know their video and PQ. As for myself, I went with Blue Jeans (around $45, if memory serves), and have no complaints.

When I go with Digital Satellite (waiting for local channel availability), I will probably go with a better sat. receiver with component-out, move the Blue Jeans to it, and spring for the Better Cables for the DVD player...

Chuck,

nearly all my interconnects and video cables are BC and they are very nice and the construction is outstanding. This is not to mention the people at BC are on the same level of the people at SVS and Paul and his team at hometheaterspot.

I have no complaints and only praise for BC. But at the tune of $600 for what I want I am looking at some alternatives.

$600.00 for some video cables? O pleeeeeeze! Can you image the markup. There is no way any cables cost a manufacture that much to produce that it requires that kind of mark up. Not for that lenght anyway.

That is pure BS marketing horse shat.

No way... give me those 600.00 video cables and give me some video 100.00 cables and I bet you will not be able to tell a difference.

Before they do? Hell, 2 already did. I just think it's horse puckie that a company would take advantage of people who don't know better to look the dealer in the eye and say "No!" I'm not playing that price.

m00se p00p!

I think signal has my business.

little more the bluejeans but I like their construction a little better.

The only thing is I want custom colors

For instance since the connectors are color coded if they can make 1 set of cable blue, another yellow and the other green they will deifinitley win.

Blue jeans offers this but the cheap strain relief, also used by BC are a huge turn off for me.

Wheel thats for the recommendation

----------------

On 3/20/2004 4:08:21 PM m00n wrote:

$600.00 for some video cables? O pleeeeeeze! Can you image the markup. There is no way any cables cost a manufacture that much to produce that it requires that kind of mark up. Not for that lenght anyway.

That is pure BS marketing horse shat.

No way... give me those 600.00 video cables and give me some video 100.00 cables and I bet you will not be able to tell a difference.

----------------

:) My thoughts exactly ... and actuall not just thoughts. At some point I was quite sold for all this cable mania. Oh boy, how much time have I spent reading reviews about some expensive cables like AudioQuest and the likes.

Eventually I got wiser and decided that the optimal price range should be around $100 for a set of components. Thats wwhen i decided to go with Outlaw PSC (Pure Silver Coax) components. By then, I already had a few cheaper sets at home (RCA, Philips, RAtShack, NXG Pro). So, I installed Outlaws and was satisfied thinking a had a great deal (around $115 for a 1.5m set).

A few months ago, I had a chance to take a set of BC Silver Serpents (from my friend who owns them) to do the shootout with my Outlaws. DVD was set to "loop" play a few short episodes (both with dark and light scenes). Connection from the DVD player (at that time it was Denon DV2900) to the TV (Hitachi 43" HDTV RPTV, calibrated) was direct for the sake of the test (normally, I have the video routed through my receiver). We did not have a switch to make instant A/B comparison. To compensate for that, we tortured ourselves with numerous cycles of toggling the cables. Neither me, nor my friends could see any discernable difference. We did not have a scope to measure anything, but our eyes did not find any added noise or washed out colors or any other artifacts for that matter. The Picture Quality (PQ) was equally good. So, the consensus was, that these two sets of cables were equally good as well.

But something did not sit well with me. I decided to continue the tests. I brought all the cables I had at home and repeated the whole drill all over again. This time along with Outlaws and BC Serpents, there were Philips and NXG Pro cables. Well, this time I WAS expecting to see the difference because the price ranges were more than 10fold. I was shocked to see that again, the picture mostly stayed absolutely identical. I considered one set as a loser though: Philips had a very bad connection, was almost slipping out of the female RCA. NXG Pros (btw, cost around $12 for 1M online) on the other hand had a very tight grip, actualy I found their connection essentially as tight as with Outlaws. Oh my, copper twelve dollar cables performed exactly as cables made of pure silver at more than a hundred dollars more.

So, now I am not so sure about investing significant money into exotic cables. Even my $115 Outlaws seem too expensive, forget about those that cost $600. Maybe, I would have different results if my TV had larger screen or I had a longer run of cables? Perhaps. But at 43" of screen size and about 2M distance between the player and TV, I could not honestly see any advantage of more expensive cables.

For those who would want to do a similar test, here you go - a link to the site that still carries similar NXG Pro cables:

http://www.darrinsdealdepot.com/product/NX6002

(did not do the extensive search online, just the first trader i came across, perhaps you will be luckier and will get a better deal :)) I would be interested to see whehter any of you guys would see a dramatic difference, or ... any difference for that matter.

with the plasma the monster cables blow.

The BC 6 ft silver reference does make a noticable difference in detail, especially in movies like monster inc and priates of the carribean.

Please lets not get started over that.

On my tube tvs, monsteris good enough. Having the Pioneer dvd palyers 47ai(region free) and 59ai I would like to have the BC because they do make a difference on the plasma. But for the shorter run between the player and receiver I can sacrifice.

If there is any degradation using the video switching on the pioneer 49txi is is minimal.

Thanks again

Scott