Yes another cable question

Bruinsrme

get some belden or commscope RG59 and some solder-on RCA connectors and make your own cables.... (make sure it is solid copper center with copper braid)

here is thread from sound and vision with plenty of pics.... i did the same thing he did using neutrik connectors that are much cheaper than the canare he used...

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=30115&sessionID=D44DCC0032EC460ABD7CCE8006C56DD8

you can make all your interconnects out of this RG59 - it works great for video and audio....

cheers!

1.gif

minn,

i have not read the article, but I do have a question for you... what would you say would be an equivilant premade, prepackaged product and from what manufacture?

Just looking for price points, savings and comparrisons.

sorry bad spelling I know...

----------------

On 3/20/2004 6:42:29 PM m00n wrote:

minn,

i have not read the article, but I do have a question for you... what would you say would be an equivilant premade, prepackaged product and from what manufacture?

----------------

m00n,

the problem with your question is that my DIY cables cost less than $1 per foot.... (not counting my time)...

i replaced top end phoenix gold cables (about $30 for a one meter pair) with these cables and i got equal or better performance....

not to mention that the cables are all the exact length necessary.....

1.gif

----------------

On 3/20/2004 6:42:29 PM m00n wrote:

minn,

----------------

There wouldn't be an equivalent product to what minn is talking about for one simple reason:

Nobody in the industry does what he's talking about. No one, not even el-cheapo Acoustic Research puts RCA connectors on RG-59 and calls them component video.

I know you're really in love with the idea, Minn, but your ultra-cheap plan doesn't solve every problem. It may do fine for your applications, but when you're dealing with video, particularly high-bandwidth video transmission (component video) there's gonna be some major differences between your solution and those of reputable manufacturers who do a little more than just repackage their standard audio interconnects with different color tips and different prices.

----------------

On 3/20/2004 10:30:44 PM Griffinator wrote:

I know you're really in love with the idea, Minn, but your ultra-cheap plan doesn't solve every problem. It may do fine for your applications, but when you're dealing with video, particularly high-bandwidth video transmission (component video) there's gonna be some major differences between your solution and those of reputable manufacturers who do a little more than just repackage their standard audio interconnects with different color tips and different prices.

----------------

i'm not "in love" with this idea.... just the result of more than a few years of trying many different cables and talking to the dealers and installlers that i (use to) sell to.... (currently unemployed).....

what is the spec for component video?.... i believe it is still 75 ohms like all other video applications.....

here is the spec sheet on the belden cable....

http://bwccat.belden.com/ecat/jsp/Index.jsp?&P1=undefined&P2=undefined&P3=undefined&P4=undefined&P5=undefined&P6=undefined

and... not to get into a big cable debate..... but, the "specialty" cables out there still need to meet the same spec as the belden cable.... 75 ohms impedance.....

there cannot be "major differences" or the cable would not pass the signal accurately..... and no amount of fancy outer jacket/packaging will change the required electrical properties!

"Nobody in the industry does what he's talking about. No one, not even el-cheapo Acoustic Research puts RCA connectors on RG-59 and calls them component video."

that is exactly what you have if you take apart an Acoustic Research cable..... simply RG59 in a fancy jacket...some of the cables might use a stranded center, but it is still the same..... i have taken that cable as well as others apart and that's all they are..... my phoenix gold video cables use a stranded center with a braided copper shield......

griff,

your high end cables that you represent still need to meet the 75 ohm impedance.... all the fancy construction and/or configuration can't change that requirement.....

i am basing all of the above on my experiences..... i am not representing any cable manufacturers.... i have no vested interest in promoting the "cable myth" that many dealers do to help their bottom line.... (huge markup on cables)