OT Poll: never using caps--don't care or irritant

tankhokie

I do find reading to be more pleasant if capitalization and punctuation are used correctly. It does sort of bother me when a new forum member gets corrected for using all caps as his first reply to a first post. I wonder if that may make the new poster think the forum is less than friendly.

Bob

Yes, but first, how about a thoughtful answer to the newbie question. Most often that person does not know that his writing style is considered yelling and the only reason that it is considered yelling is that some people say that it is.

Bob

----------------

On 3/27/2004 12:06:44 PM BEC wrote:

Yes, but first, how about a thoughtful answer to the newbie question. Most often that person does not know that his writing style is considered yelling and the only reason that it is considered yelling is that some people say that it is.

Bob

----------------

Oh, definitely. Don't ignore the question just because he shouted it! 1.gif

My recall is that the Russian writer Chekov had a story.

There was a man who bought a cat to catch mice in his home. The cat was not much of a "mouser". He attempted to train the cat. Whenever a mouse came out his hole, he hit the cat with a broom. Chekov said, "This man was my Latin teacher."

Spelling, punctuation, and writing are often taught in the same way. For me, nuns with red pens.

I'm not too distressed by poor spelling or punctuation. Coming out of engineering school I was not skilled in these areas. Lots of math; little of writing.

Doing a lot of writing over the years -- law school -- and looking things up cured some of my ignorance.

The best advice I received was from a patent lawyer. He insisted on three sentences in a paragraph. Also, in the geometry of ten character per inch typing, and double spacing, this comes to three paragraphs per page.

You can vary from that rule a bit. However, this is the best piece of advice for clarity of expression I have ever seen. Examine what newspaper reporters do. It is very much the same.

Punctuation and spelling are seldom the issues which obscure communication in writing. Rather, it is lack of the use of the CR (carrage return) key.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 3/27/2004 2:15:46 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 3/26/2004 5:23:25 PM TBrennan wrote:

Misspelling and regional or class idiom is fine with me but punctuation crosses all boundries of region and class.

----------------

You lost a comma there, my man.

The correct punctuation should have been:

Misspelling and regional or class idiom is fine with me
but punctuation crosses all boundries of region and class.

(ducking and running, lest the whole forum organize a lynching)

9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

I saw that, and it occurs to me that Tom's sense of humor is SO dry that he might blow the "independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction" rule just to make his point. It works on another level too -- the one on which all spelling or grammar correction posts must contain at least one error of the type they highlight.

9.gif

ITS SO AMAZING!

ITS REALLY PROFOUND!

THAT USE OF BIG LETTERS-

REALLY GETS US DOWN DOWN!

do whap do whap do whap do whap!

WHEN THOSE CUTE LITTLE LETTERS!

COULD REALLY MAKE US SMILE 1.gif

AND THE CURLY LITTLE ITALICS

TICKLE US, YET MAKE US FROWN!

do whap do whap do whap do ***!