Wide Dispersion as Rear Center?

basse

Hello all,

I do have RF-5's in front, RC-7 center, RS-7 surround and 2xRW12. I am going to connect 6.1, not 7.1. So my question is that has someone tried a WDS like RS7 as rear center? The dealer suggested this....

Anyone?

Thanks1.gif

My choice.....

I had monopoles in back before...not klipsch....but....I did not care for them with movies....as they were I dunno how to explain this ...but...

They were to pinpointed as sound sources for movies...I mean when say a wind noise would circle the room...it would sound like it was jumping from speaker to speaker....and not give the smoothe transition from speaker to speaker to give the more natural sound of wind swriling....The spacing from the front mains to the rear is quite large and there would also be a jump like sound effect when say an helocopter flew over head in movie or bullet richochet etc....

Of course my HT room (living room) is weird...in that cathederal ceiling...open on 70% of rear wall....large window... hallway on front, no real side wall on one side due to angle entrance thingy...

So for me I only had a few places to mount speakers...and where they are did not work well with monopoles....

So first I changed out rear center to the RS7...and major improvement in sound effects...then I changed out the side surrounds.....and major improvement again...

So for me the RS7 gave a wider cone of sound which blended better together as surrounds and with the fronts....

It may not be this case for you....experimenting is the fun part for me....

If I could fix this room I would make some way to slide the side surrounds forward more...but i cannot as there is no more wall...and no way for a stand....so for me my solution worked with RS 7 surrounds..

Good luck and have fun playing with HT

Oops, check signals Jan... before you lay a bunt down in the attempt to reach home basse! (Oh Oh, that's probably not the best known baseball cliché in Norway)

I will agree that in tough acoustic situations, such as the one described, that RS-7's can rescue the room by spraying frequencies above 2,000 Hz to bounce off anything they can hit to fill your ears with "second-hand" sound* with only frequencies under 2,000 Hz directed toward your ears. Frankly "speakering"... there is no way that an RS-7 can match the timbre and quality of an RC-7 if you are using RF-7's as mains.

When it comes to sounding off with Klipsch Reference, it's best to shoot the m00n... put three RF-7's across the front as m00n did. You will hear a difference so profound that it will far outweigh whatever you put in the rear array in terms of 6.1 DVD satisfaction.

The main problem most people find with monopole (such as RF-7 or RC-7) rear arrays is that they fail to set them up correctly and, thus, are not pleased. A similar thing occurs when people buy the mighty Klipschorn and stick it in a configuration where it cannot display its acoustic integrity. Despite many claims to the contrary, the human ear cannot process acoustic signals sufficiently (yep, thats how WDST works, it floods your ears with more than you can process so you lose acuity to gain a sense of being overwhelmed whether thats the DVDs audio engineers intent or not) to correctly place (aim) six speakers in a 6.1 system.

Considering the money you spend on audio and video equipment, investing a few bucks in an entry level analog SPL meter (like the one at your local Radio Shack analog works better than digital!) and an Avia set-up disk (available on the Internet) will transform many a good performing rig into a great performer!

And for those masculine significant other collectors, nothing brings the joy of WAF out more than a properly set-up sound system. Distaff ears are as sensitive as distaff hearts so have a heart and dont trust your love to less than an acoustic SPL meter and a top quality set-up disk (beware of the cheapie set-up disks unless your rose prefers a Bose which is a sure sign your rig is not set-up correctly!).

When asking for Forum help on multi-channel speakers, the most important part of an audio system from your ear perspective is the shape, size and reflective characteristics of your listening area. Read the White Papers of Dr. Floyd E. Toole they are relatively easy reading and even have lots of diagrams. Youll find an amazing array of knowledge at http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default with a minimum of hype about the Harmon family of products. Dr. Toole is an Englishman who worked for the Canadian government for decades in acoustic and psychoacoustic research before joining Harmon as loudspeaker czar.

The writings of Paul W. Klipsch and Floyd E. Toole have been my guides to reaching beyond the audio salesman on the showroom floor for audio ecstasy! In fact, a charming, intelligent, and beautiful Swiss Miss came into my life and will soon be my wife after first hearing a carefully matched Klipsch 6.1 Home Theater that seats over forty rapt DVD enthusiasts that want more than faux theater sound. (NOTE: Any gender bias perspective is forced upon me by pre-birth natural selection and not by second-hand politically correct sex education. -HE)

So, dont be so quick to knee jerk to a cheaper WDST solution when other Klipsch loudspeaker options can do a better rear array job for you and the one(s) you love. There is a reason that a WDST speaker is not available for Heritage quality Home Theaters! Now, if spending less on rear speakers or having a nightmare of an acoustic environment is your lot then WDST makes a better ear prosthetic than bipole or dipole approaches to fuzzing-up artificial ambience in your room.

And, lets face it, lots of folks prefer fuzz I can remember when fuzzy dice hanging from a rear view mirror was cool but most of us from that generation grew out of that phase. 2.gif -HornEd

* By "second-hand" sound I mean that WDST speakers are designed to keep sounds over 2000 Hz from reaching your ear directly so that your ear will be flooded with sound that first must strike an object and be reflected to your ear. Reflected sound takes on varied nuances depending upon a wide variety of factors... but due to the speed of sound... most reflections in a typical listening area will reach your ear at about the same time... and that precludes your ear from being able to accurately determine timbre or directional characteristics.

Hence, your ears are artificially inundated with sound with bipoles, dipoles, tripoles (i.e., WDST). And, yet, there are times when WDST solutions are practical... like plastic seat covers on a Volvo... somehow such "artificial excellence" doesn't convey the feel of the road to my butt as does natural leather.

thanx, that was a huge answer.

Ok I will ofcourse test it before Ill go the the radio shack.

The 6th sound trace on dts es, rear center, is it configurated that the system has a directional speaker?

Have you tested this WDS?

Thnaks again, what is basse in US?

3.gif

Oh God! please don't use a single RS-7 in the rear - yuck. Stick with HornEd's advice on this one. I am using a pair of Heresy II's right now as my rear centers, however if I had the room for it I would go even bigger! Reflected sound is just that, as stated it bounces of everything before hitting your ears. I personally don't think I would want an artificial "echo" in the rear of my home theater. It is your HT, your ears, and your choice though so I hope you find something that works out for you. I would go with an single RC-7 before anything, perhaps duals if finances and your room arrangement will allow it. You will not be sorry!

Jan, in bass is both a fish and the low end of the audible sound spectrum... they are pronounced differently, however, with the sound being pronounced more like "base" as in baseball.

Setting up a good two-channel system is a task in itself when you are striving for audio perfection... while your ears are young enough to appreciate it!

But setting up for HT means having not only a great music system but also one that can handle the special demands that five or six full-range channels plus a low bass channel can offer. For example, in a two channel music system, the Left and Right Mains are the most important speakers that together create a stereo effect. In a movie DVD, the Front Center becomes the most important speaker with over 75% of the total sound on the DVD aimed at you through that SPL source. In the HT case, the Left and Right Mains supply a stereo support role and all five or six speakers can be included in creating ambient sounds as mixed by the audio engineer.

There are those on this Forum who prefer that their rear array spray sound everywhere so they lose their acoustic ability to distinguish direction and timbre of their speakers. Such echo-holics need to be serviced too. At least I am glad that some prefer Klipsch over the Echo-holic Ideal that remains the market target of Dr. Bose & Co. Why toss everything over 2,000 Hz down the fuzzy rain barrel sound when the latest DVDs provide full-range ambience along with the excitement of directionality and the quality of true timbre-matching. -HornEd

There is no such thing as a rear center in the true sense of the term meaning a speaker dedicated to primarily dialogue. It is a rear effects speaker - period! Some people use a single one placed in the Center of the rears and others use two placed on opposite sides.

You should be good to go then with the wide dispersion rear center i wouldn't see why not. I think the only reason i would go for the center would be for added bass extention. But their really isn't that much information going there is there? No matter what if you choose the same line klipsch so they are tonally matched you will be doing good.

Horn Ed,

I was just wondering why you prefer the analog to a digital SPL meter. Unless you are referring to the analog's RMS indication which tends to give averages because it does not sample and react as fast as a digital. Mind you I am not critiquing your choice I am just curious. I have the RS digital SPL meter and I like it. Now I need to get the AVIA disk. But using the SPL meter and my AVR's test tone made a world of difference in how my set up sounds.