Reciever replacement

dantfmly

----------------

On 3/27/2004 9:06:24 PM Mikekid wrote:

If you decide to get this receiver, be sure to ask the seller any and all questions you have before you bid. See if he guarantees against DOA. Looks so nice though, doesn't it?? I think you will love it (If you decide on it)

The remote looks new to me as well. Mine has some faded lettering due to use. Especially the "volume" key

9.gif

Mike

----------------

thanks but it was all for not sombody bought it. oh well. just have to keep searching.15.gif and yes it had a 15 DOA guarentee.

IMO, best bang for buck right now is the H/K AVR7200 for around $750. I can only compare it to what I have tried out for any length of time - the Denon 3803, Marantz 7300ose, and the Onkyo 801. I tried the new Sony ES's (2000 + 3000), but IMHO they don't deserve mention. The Onkyo is a fine receiver as well...actually they all are, but am satasfied the most with the H/K.

• 4 weeks later...

The Denon 3803 uses 2 burr brown DACs for each channel (7.1)< one of the things that caught my eye>. It has the option of sending the full freq. range to your mains and sub(even in 5.1 and DTS), then just setting the cross on your sub for its cross or not-for movies. It also features a Pure Direct mode which shuts down all video circuits and things not being used for better 2 channel quality. I love this receiver and run it with KLF 20's also.

I also have Denon AVR3803 and could not be happier with a receiver. It also matches quite well with Klipsch Reference speakers.

Now, if budget is a serious limiting factor, try to audition one of these new digital receivers that are becoming so popular nowadays. Panasonic SA-XR45, SA-XR25, SA-XR50 and the upcoming SA-XR70. I have never auditioned them personally, but from whatever I read in the Amps part of the AVS forum, these are not toy amps, but quite serious pieces of equipment.

I also need a receiver for my secondary setup, so I just bought a Pioneer Elite EX-500 (a combo unit consisting of a universal player DV50A and a digital receiver). No idea whether this will turn out a piece of garbage or a gem :) I decided to take a risk and stay off the beaten path. Will try to provide feedback on this combo once it arrives, if anyone is interested.

On your original list, you have the Yamaha DSP-A1. That's not a receiver but an integrated amp (no tuner). That was a really nice unit - it was their flagship model - but it's several years old and missing many of "todays" features (SACD, DVD-A, 6.1 or 7.1...). I had one for a few years and just upgraded. I was very happy with it, but if you go that direction you should deal hunt as it's not the most currect technology.

----------------

On 4/27/2004 6:20:49 AM Darren wrote:

On your original list, you have the Yamaha DSP-A1. That's not a receiver but an integrated amp (no tuner). That was a really nice unit - it was their flagship model - but it's several years old and missing many of "todays" features (SACD, DVD-A, 6.1 or 7.1...). I had one for a few years and just upgraded. I was very happy with it, but if you go that direction you should deal hunt as it's not the most currect technology.

----------------

yeah i know, but i hate listening to the radio through my system. So that is not a big deal to lose the tuner, but i think you are correct about it being an older technology. I would like to upgrade to sacd someday. I just found out this last week that you need a 5.1 input for it. would you not used the 5.1 input on the back of a reciever for that. I have one now on the reciever i have now. i use it right now to plug my dd decoder into it. but my dd decoder has 5.1 inputs into it also. Would i not just hook sacd inputs into that and hit bypass on the dd decoder? I am going to wait for right now to upgrade on both sacd and reciever. until i am debt free in the next 2 years. Then its on. of couse this time i will save the money before i buy. 9.gif also will be upgrading the 27 inch TV.9.gif