HT help for noob

Skidmarks

Hey guys (and Gals)

I am rather new to HT, and aside from the learning curve would like to ask for a few comments about Powersurge and clean power units.

I am still trying to figure out how to hook all my new equipment up myself here, and was reading about power cleaners and protection. I think after droping nearly 10K into this HT I should find out more about protection.

So I ask for advice in this area, hell any area of HT.

Thx.

i look at power conditioners along the same taboo subject as high-end speaker wire vs. standard wire from the hardware store...many people swear by one or the other and never agree. 1.gif

i use a monster hts-1000...pretty basic power strip with a spot for every component, but not a conditioner. IMHO i wouldn't waste money on a true conditioner (big $$$$) and just get a nice power strip/surge protector. spend the money you save on better speakers...or a bigger tv...or projector...that will make more of an impact than "cleaner" power.

Skidmarks (did I already mention that that's a funny name?)

I'll be perfectly honest with you. I own the Monster HTS7000 power conditioner, which all my HT gear (with the exception of my 2 amplifiers) is plugged into, and then the HTS7000 goes directly into the Monster AVS2000, which keeps everything at a solid 120 volts. The supposed "ideal" voltage to keep all components running at their utmost.

BULL$HIT. I see and hear no difference. BUT, they provide me peace of mind that nothing can fry my gear. And I guess I'm also one of those idiotic types that wants to have "all the bases covered," so whether or not it actually makes a visual or audible difference, it's nice to know that what you're seeing is truly it's best. But I'm here to tell you it makes no damn difference.

If you did have your heart set on these types of units, however, you should also check out PS Audio's Power Director and Power Plant units, and I also hear very nice things about Richard Gray's Power Company.

PS - this officially marks my post number 420!!! All you fellow High-Times readers out there, you know what I'm talkin about.

power strips are good, no great, but all of our components are made to function under best under certain conditions. basically the average home has electrical that can fluctuate 20-30 volts, this will effect the output of your components. power conditioners do have thier value, they are expensive, but arent your components?12.gif

I have the Rotel RLC-1050 "AC line conditioner and power sequencer". It has 13 outlets - 12 of the triggered. Nice unit - retails for $500, can get it for less.

That being said, I don't hear a bit of difference. I do feel secure with the protection of my components. Definitely get a good surge protector - the rest is marketing, IMHO.

Well I would feel safe with a good surge protector,and like one of you said , the equipment is expensive enough to spend a little more to feel secure about lightning(I do live in the lightning capital of the U.S."FLA.") lol

I will more than likely look for something in the $500. range. I do not think I have a dealer local that deals in Rotel. So I may choose monster.

I dont think I want to wait for anything else over the internet, since I am still waiting for my RF7s.

-Another question about HT, if I may:

My room is basicly a 3 wall rectangle 25X15 at this point I have one or two more purchases to make(surge protect) and HT Sub. At first I was going to leave the sub out of the picture for I would not use it during listening or 2ch. listening CDs ect.. but after learning more about HT and the diff. types of processing DTS 5.1,7.1 ect.. I realize there is a need for that channel during movies. What size sub would you think I would need to go with? 10, 12 15? I ran across a store that carried the HSU, but just the 10" STF2 for $350. Would this do the job for movie play?

Thx. Oh and yes you have noticed the name before.lol (FPS gaming handle)

Well I would feel safe with a good surge protector,and like one of you said , the equipment is expensive enough to spend a little more to feel secure about lightning(I do live in the lightning capital of the U.S."FLA.") lol

I will more than likely look for something in the $500. range. I do not think I have a dealer local that deals in Rotel. So I may choose monster.

I dont think I want to wait for anything else over the internet, since I am still waiting for my RF7s.

-Another question about HT, if I may:

My room is basicly a 3 wall rectangle 25X15 at this point I have one or two more purchases to make(surge protect) and HT Sub. At first I was going to leave the sub out of the picture for I would not use it during listening or 2ch. listening CDs ect.. but after learning more about HT and the diff. types of processing DTS 5.1,7.1 ect.. I realize there is a need for that channel during movies. What size sub would you think I would need to go with? 10, 12 15? I ran across a store that carried the HSU, but just the 10" STF2 for $350. Would this do the job for movie play?

Thx. Oh and yes you have noticed the name before.lol (FPS gaming handle)

Get descent home insurance even if your a renter this is good. NOthing will protect your equipment from a straight on lightning crash. So i suggest good insurance and keep the money you were going to spend on a surge protector for your deductable. And get a line conditioner it will help clean up your tv picture. Peace